Thread: My 300 Blackout Savage Striker build

Basic Member

My 300 Blackout Savage Striker build

Here are some pictures of my recent 300 Blackout build using a Savage Striker. And after 3 weeks of calling and emailing every person who listed one for sale in the last 18 months I finally found one.

It is a left hand bolt with a right hand eject. The trigger is actually pretty nice for having a linkage. Hoping to get a chance to get it zeroed and have fun with it this weekend.

The barrel started life as a 416SS Green Mountain blank with 8 twist. It was cut to 16.5" and threaded for a muzzle brake installed for now. As soon as I get my forms back from the ATF for what will be my form 1 can I will be chopping the barrel to 10"-12" and threading it. I also have a 223 barrel and looking for a 308 barrel.

Basic Member
    That was a fast turn around. Called smith about the GM barrel, too busy with other projects. I will be looking for that 8 twist for my striker. Is that straight no taper?

Basic Member
    Yes, I use the same profile on all my barrels. .920" straight taper. The reason is if I want iron sights I can use either the Tech Sites for a .920" 10/22 barrel or Nokak Spud's NDS-22 front sight for a .920" 10/22 barrel. Then I use the Williams WGRS receiver sight for the rear. They line up perfectly and make for a very robust setup. This one here will likely end up with a set of NDS and Williams sigths for the 300.

My smith did my barrel in about a week. He does agreat job most days but he does have his moments but makes it right when he does. I already had the barrel done and sitting in another action so I didn't have to wait at all.

Nice

Basic Member
    Need to talk with your GS on a barrel.

Basic Member
    He is on vacation for a few weeks. I will PM you his information.

Basic Member
    What brand muzzle brake is that?

Basic Member
    It was one I bought off of Ebay a year or so ago from a seller called integrix. He used to sell them for $18 each then he got a clue and raised his prices.

Here is the same one except it costs $57 now and has holes along the top.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zombie-Tri-D...item232843dd07

It works great but I still get a lot of vertical rize. I might add some holes a long the top of mine to help hold the muzzle down some. I put it on there to protect the threads and actually like how it works.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info.

Basic Member
    Hope you get a chance to shoot the striker this weekend, anxious to see the results.

Basic Member
    I did get to shoot about 100 rounds over the weekend. I really like this in the 300 Blackout. It is accurate and even with full power loads it is fun and manageable. I shot everythig from powderpuff loads using 86 grain FMJ's to 180 grain SP's loaded to near max and all were accurate enough to be fun. The onyl issue I had was some of my cast bullets have a .18 meplat on the front and they will not make it into the chamber on their own. I sold the mold and I am now looking for a replacement.

I am adding iron sights to the barrel today and then I plan on adding some sort of short tang sight to the rear of the action for taking longer shots. If I zero my subsonic loads at 25 yards it will get me to 100 without any problems but I need to find an extra 2' of "up" to get to 150 yards. If I do a 25 yrd zero with my supersonics I stay within 3" of point of aim out to 225 yards.

Because I needed to remove the 300BO barrel to put it into the lathe it left the action ready for another barrel. So I screwed a 12" 223 barrel in yesterday and shot a few dozen rounds. It was only at 50 yards but it was extremely accurate with my handloads. I was getting single hole groups. The recoil seemed less but the muzzle flash was a lot bigger with the 223. It still jumped around a bit because of the lightweight sporter barrel. I even fired a lonely Tula round I had laying around and it was a HUGE fireball in the 12" barrel. It definitely had a bark to it as well.

Now I am torn between 223 and 300 Blackout. In the end it will probably be left in 300 most of the time. The reason is I cast my own bullets for it and it costs me 4.4 cents per shot to shoot it with subsonics and 7.3 cents for my supersonics. Another reason I will probably stick with the 300 is I am waiting on a Form 1 to be approved by the ATF so I can build a suppressor for it. I am scaling up a 22 can I built that is quieter than a slingshot and hoping for similar performance from the 300 Blackout with subsonic loads.

Speeding Bullet
    Very nice job. That is definitely a unique gun.

SB
    Last edited by Speeding Bullet; 05-24-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Basic Member
    Hey Gordon, any more shooting reports with the 300blk? Hope to try a new front sight on mine soon. Did you take the ring out on the Williams sight?

Basic Member
    If you decide to keep the barrel 16.5" you could always screw it into a rifle and keep it a one stamp gun.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member
    Don't understand why you need a stamp. It's a pistol and it can have any length barrel on it. You putting a rifle stock on it??

Quote Originally Posted by joeydasniper View Post
    Don't understand why you need a stamp. It's a pistol and it can have any length barrel on it. You putting a rifle stock on it??
    He needed the stamp for the "can" (aka- suppressor) that he was building to screw onto this barrel. I think sha-ul was meaning that if he chopped the barrel and then wanted to install that same barrel on a rifle's receiver that he would need a 2nd stamp for that action because the barrel would be less than 16" once he chopped it.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Saw that after sending post, my bad!!