Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I like IMR 4350 in my 30.06....

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Why I like IMR 4350 in my 30.06....

Here's how my Stevens 30.06 with the 22" SS barrel (thanks Boots!), factory stock modified & reinforced by me, scope rail to move the Vortex back toward me a bit compliments of thomae (thanks again), AccuTrigger thanks to Jim / Drybean (Thanks again) Vortex Viper & whatever it says on the target for load info is doing. Finally got it tuned the way I like it. This was a 100yd target. This weekend it'll be tried on the 200yd line.
    First go 'round - cold, clean barrel. First shot came in low...

Second group came in nice.....

And here's my baby....
    You can take my wallet, my truck, my 'ol lady. Try to take my '06. Go ahead...... make my day.

By the way, those were Nosler Custom Comps at 155gr shoved into some well used Remington brass. I love it when it all comes together...
    Still working on the .308 (my newest concoction of parts) load work up. Won't be long....

Compliments, criticism, innuendo, threats are welcomed.
    Frank in Fla
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 05-16-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

stangfish
    There is no other powder for 165's in a 30-06.

Basic Member
    Ya know Stang, the times I've used 4064, the shot ends up about 14" above where the 4350 hits. Obviously it's a bit faster burning & FPS is up there (never chrono'ed any of them) but accuracy just isn't there. Even with my 25.06 the 4350 has been the powder of choice for one hole groups.
    I can't express how glad I am to be able to shoot my beloved '06 again. The shoulder surgery I had last year won't allow me to shoot without the muzzle break. The ONLY downside to the break is guys at the range that have the misfortune of sitting next me have introduced me to a few new curse words. I had one guy come over & ask if that was a 50BMG....(hehehehe). Even the Savage factory break on my .308 has been described as "brutal". I heard that used while I was helping a guy pick up some of his stuff that got blown off the bench from it (again - hehehehe).
    Tomorrow - to the range. This "being out of work due to back injury" stuff ain't so bad.....

Basic Member
    Good shootin Frank. I think I recognize a BM bolt handle (I got one too!).

Basic Member
    Hey Charlie. Thanks & thanks for reminding me.....

Thanks again to my friend in Commiefornia (also my birth place) - Jim drybean for the bolt handle. He turned me on to that a while ago & it ended up on my '06.

thanks again, Charlie from NC...

Man, I knew that barrel was a shooter, but DANG. I like the look of that new brake. Looks tons better than the old one.

Pics of your groups with my former barrels is seriously got me thinking I may never sell another tube for fear of letting another shooter get away.
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 05-16-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Man, I knew that barrel was a shooter, but DANG. I like the look of that new brake. Looks tons better than the old one.
    Boots, my man, I gotta be honest. I hated the original break. It was no fun at all. It did a great job of kicking up a small dust storm. That new break is from the guy from Idaho or Montana who's name I cant remember. He sent it for $40 & it was drilled to .025" over the .308 bullet. The color & finish is almost identical to the barrel. Otherwise that barrel is a heckuva shooter. Still working up loads on 165gr, 169gr & 180gr bullets.
    Something I noticed about this barrel.... After one of my marathon '06 shooting sessions, there's very little copper residue in the barrel. A little Hoppes to get the carbon out & a quick pass with Sweet's 7.62 & it sparkling clean. Would that be because it's SS? I'm not real familiar with these shiny silver pipes. Most of my barrel stash are black or blue.
    Thanks again.

Frank, couldn't say for sure on that one. I have seen SS tubes that coppered up just as bad as some of the CM tubes I've had, and have had CM and SS tubes that cleaned very easy, so the fact that its made of SS is really not pertainnent.

I do remember that barrel never did require much effort to get it clean, and it appeared to be rather smooth for a Savage factory barrel.

If you are shooting prone, I'll bet the old brake did nothing but kick up dust, being a radial style. I alway shot from bench, or sitting position from taller bipod so dust was not a concern. Get some Sierra 180gr SBT gamekings. It was showing some promise with those for me.
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 05-16-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Funny you should mention try some 180's...

I have a few on hand & was just perusing my list of suppliers for 180gr Noslers & Sierras. I just started using Sierra a few months ago & have been getting excellent results with my .243 & 25.06. They show real promise with the .308 & '06.

As far as copper collectors, I have 2 - SS barrels that look to have a smooth finish looking down the pipe. Almost like a mirror. One of my black barrels looks like a copper mine it grabs so much off the bullet. Sometimes I think a 150gr bullet goes in & 110gr. comes out! If it wasn't for Sweet's. I'd have to call in a copper mining outfit to get it out.

And, yes, a radial break is NOT for shooting prone. Unless you're wearing a filter mask & goggles to keep the dust outta yo' mug.

Don't you know that the old outdated 30-06 wont shoot like that? The cartridge is obsolete,a real waste of powder and bullets. It cant kill a big buck or a hog like a .30000000 winulapshmag.
    Congrats. Its fun watching and listening to the know it all at the range talking smack and shooting their custom $3K+ sticks and then lay down a couple of one holers with the lowly 30-06 Savage :)
    If you want to shoot something a little heavier, You might give the 165 Sierra Game King HPBT a try with a max load of that IMR4350. It's magic in mine :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Ya know jeep, I couldn't agree more. It seems the calibers that sound sexy are all the rage. I'll take my basic '06 in 25cal or 30cal. The 243 rates pretty hi the scale of my favorites, too.

The next step for this weekend is trying / testing the next batch of home rolled. I have 165 Nos BT's, Sierra 168 MK's and last of all the traditional 180gr in Nosler BT. I've been looking for some 180's in Sierra. I think they're a better deal. More bullet(s), less money.

Kinda a funny thing about the Match king Vs the HPBT Game king. The Ogive is different and though I have a couple of -06s that like the Match King OK, They simply love the Game King and put em into teeny tiny holes over and over again.??? I was talking with one of the ballisticians at Sierra about it and he was telling me that many rifles seem to prefer one over the other with no real rhyme or reason. My best group yet was 165gr HPBT Game Kings with my favorite -06 came in at .446 for 10 rounds at 100 and put a huge smile on my face.

doesnt get anybetter. after building, some head scratching,its iceing on the cake when a load development is completed with superior results.
    from what i can gather?....your pushing that 155 pretty soft for an 06 cartrige.....makes good sense to me......tight holes on target paper dont lie.............
    to me....tight patterns at 100= tight patterns out to distance (1k,wind dependant)

congrates!

Basic Member
    nice looking gun there! looks like you have it dialed in pretty well!

Basic Member
    I'm finding it likes Nosler & Sierra at different weights. The 150 sierra was OK but not impressive. The 155 nosler custom comp is insanely accurate. The Nos BT I can't seem to settle down. Grouping won't close up smaller that 1.25"
    Strange how that works & yet my 243 will shoot Nosler Varmageddon, Nosler BT & Sierra with a flat bottom in 55gr, consistently using the same charge...
    Thanks for the words gentlemen. We'll see how it does on the 200yd line tomorrow. I need to re-zero the scope, too...

Later

hub
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Don't you know that the old outdated 30-06 wont shoot like that? The cartridge is obsolete,a real waste of powder and bullets. It cant kill a big buck or a hog like a .30000000 winulapshmag.
    Congrats. Its fun watching and listening to the know it all at the range talking smack and shooting their custom $3K+ sticks and then lay down a couple of one holers with the lowly 30-06 Savage :)
    If you want to shoot something a little heavier, You might give the 165 Sierra Game King HPBT a try with a max load of that IMR4350. It's magic in mine :)
    I just tried the HPBT the other day with 57.0 gr. of H4350 for 2822. The thing is I shot four 3 shot groups in a row under moa with a savage 110E I bought used in 1986 for 250.00 bucks. I have the bullets seated .040 off the lands and they shoot good right there. I have not even adjusted the seating depth or powder charge. I might not bother with them expensive PT,s for awhile. I don,t see any flies on the 165 HPBT
    Last edited by hub; 05-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.

deerandduck
    Great groups, and good shooting. I use IMR4350 in both my 30-06s, a Tikka 695 and a Rem 700 SS. One prefers Sierra 165 SBT and one likes Hor 165 BTSP. Both like about 56.5 grains, if I remember right.
    Deerandduck

Basic Member
    With the low charge I'm using, there's probably another accuracy node a little higher up. If powder wasn't so hard to find, I just might experiment a little.
    I'm a little curious on the velocity of the charge I'm using, too. I need to make friends with somebody at the range that has a chrono.

Basic Member
    very nice groups. ive never tried 4350 in my 06 or 2506 either. always 4064 or 4320.
    but they never shot like that.
    im assuming you shoot at sebastion? have you ever checked out the private club at palm bay?
    im told they have 600 yds. ive been there but the gate was closed.
    are you familiar with the magneto speed test devices?
    for public ranges and possibly any range they make sence.
    go to high country shooters. com and look at the post on the 6.5 saum.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    very nice groups. ive never tried 4350 in my 06 or 2506 either. always 4064 or 4320.
    but they never shot like that.
    im assuming you shoot at sebastion? have you ever checked out the private club at palm bay?
    im told they have 600 yds. ive been there but the gate was closed.
    are you familiar with the magneto speed test devices?
    for public ranges and possibly any range they make sence.
    go to high country shooters. com and look at the post on the 6.5 saum.
    I live 2 miles from the Malabar Range. I would like to shoot their 400 & 600yd lines but I really don't feel like taking out a mortgage to join. Nice place & all but the start up / get in fee is about $300 for starters. I can shoot twice a week for 2 years at Sebastian for that much. AND... There's a bunch of great guys there.
    If I feel the need to get tactical & hide in the swamp or weeds & shoot a few hundred yards, we have a few hundred acres in Osceola Co. just north of Deseret Ranch.
    Nice little place. Used to be a stop over for the stage coach out of Orlando many years ago.

Team Savage
    Frank that is some great shooting & 1 great looking rifle
    Stay well, drybean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Frank that is some great shooting & 1 great looking rifle
    Stay well, drybean
    Anything look familiar on it?....
    Later.

So let us know when the 200yd results are in :)

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    With the low charge I'm using, there's probably another accuracy node a little higher up. If powder wasn't so hard to find, I just might experiment a little.
    I'm a little curious on the velocity of the charge I'm using, too. I need to make friends with somebody at the range that has a chrono.
    roger that. theres another threshold for sure but the way I look at it. Unless your a hunter/long distance target shooter, then theres no need to up the speed/pressure espcially since youve found your barrels harmonics at lower speeds.
    If you have a 20moa base?. then the better. but for now?....IMO, youve hit pay dirt. keep doing what your doing. lengthen your tubes life and save some money and still hit your objectives.
    Once you find out what the speed is, and do your homework on ballistics and drop, then you,ll hit out to distance for sure.
    Im running 150,s as well and If get mine burnning out the barrel at about 2780-2800fps, then I can reach out to 1K without a 20moa base and hit 8"x4" steels.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    So let us know when the 200yd results are in :)
    If this aggravating miserable rain doesn't stop soon I'm going to have to grow webbed feet. Maybe take up scuba diving instead of shooting.
    We're in that typical spring / summer pattern. Everyday I pack up my gear, check the weather maps & unpack my gear.
    I'm hoping in the next day or two this will blow out & we'll back to normal. Whatever normal is these days....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast