Thread: Inletting B&C stock for new bottom metal?

tacticalpanda

Inletting B&C stock for new bottom metal?

So I just bought a B&C medalist to do more of a budget build. After reading I saw several people say that CDI will do the inletting for other bottoms metals other than their own. Needless to say went with the B&C without checking that information out and when I contacted CDI they said they no longer do this. I was wondering if anyone else has another source of someone who will inlet the stock for the new savage bottom metal. Really don't want to drop another 269 on new bottom metal + inletting as I didn't budget that.

There's a good reason CDI stopped offering that service, and it's the same reason most all other gunsmiths don't offer it either. Simply put, they can't guarantee that the stock you provide them will have the proper depth in the belly to accommodate the Savage bottom metal or that it will have the right external contour/shape to provide a smooth, seamless fit.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

tacticalpanda
    So it looks like I'm screwed? Or just have to cough up the money for the CDI bottom metal.

I know CDI DBM fits in the factory DBM inlet - not sure about reverse.

I'd imagine any gunsmith with a mill could inlet for any DBM...give GA Precision or Chad Dixon a ring and see what they say...

tacticalpanda
    Will give them a call I am leaning toward the CDI bottom metal now and just putting off the second build I was planning.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    I know CDI DBM fits in the factory DBM inlet - not sure about reverse.

I'd imagine any gunsmith with a mill could inlet for any DBM...give GA Precision or Chad Dixon a ring and see what they say...
    Anyone with a mill can, the question is what will it look like when it's done. If the stock isn't thick enough (top to bottom) in the belly area where the magazine well is then the inlet for the bottom plate will have to be very shallow and as a result the bottom plate will not be flush with the stock. In other words, it will look like crap. The contour of the bottom of the stock also comes into play since the OEM bottom metal has a radius to it.

Why do you think it's taken the aftermarket stock manufacturers so long to (or still don't) offer their stocks for DBM's? It's because their pattern stocks for the old staggered feed's probably don't have the depth in the belly or the proper contour to match up with the DBM hardware and thus they have to develop an all new pattern. In terms of synthetic stocks, that means very expensive new molds.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I don't own any rifles with factory DBM so I can't comment to its thickness or appearance...but having had CDI DBM installed on 4.27, 4.4 and long action Savages in Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist, McMillan A5 and Manners T2 stocks, there should be plenty of material there unless the factory DBM is substantially thicker than CDI's offering.

tacticalpanda
    Do you have any pictures of the CFO bottom metal in the b&c stck? Just called and they said the bstocks sometime make the bottom metal sit pretty deep. They sent me a photo of a hs precision, it wasn't bad but nor ideal. Wondering if your b&c were the same.

Unfortunately, no...I have since sold them both and moved to all McMillan A5s.

tacticalpanda
    Do you remember if they fit flush or were recessed?

Slightly recessed into the stock at the rear, IIRC.

I thought it looked just fine, and it functioned flawlessly.

tacticalpanda
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. Think I am going to go for it for now.