Thread: Took "New" 110 to the Range

Took "New" 110 to the Range

Hi All,

Took my new-to-me model 110, .30-06 to the range today. It was built in 1987 but has sat in a closet somewhere, rarely being shot all it's life. I oiled it lightly but after a few shots the magazine would not come out for love nor money. I shot it as a single shot, zeroed the scope and brought it home. The magazine released with a bit of coaxing after getting home and it was dry as a bone. I oiled the gun again and it started working fine.

Is the magazine release a common problem with these guns? I didn't know if this was the case or if the rifle had sat so long that the metal soaked up the oil because it had been dry for an extended period.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Fred

palerider338
    The first thing I do when I get a new or used rifle is to strip it down, soak the bolt assembly in brake cleaner or Kroil, clean and re-lube and check everything BEFORE taking it out and shooting it. Also use snap caps to check feeding , extraction and firing pin operation.

Better safe than having your rifle go boom in your face.

Hi Palerider,

That sounds like good advice. I have some Kroil and really like the stuff. After a good Kroil soaking what oil would you recommend? I am using Rem Oil.

Thanks,

Fred

stangfish
    Not intending to be a smart arse or know it all but generaly oil is not soaked up by the metal. It is more of an evaporation process that leaves behing only a waxy substance that can harden and make the moving parts difficult to manipulate. Thus the Kroil being so effective. A good oil is one that maintains its properties for the longest period without the afforementioned happening.

Hi Stangfish,

I have really only used the Kroil to free up frozen things. Would you recommend using it every time I fire the rifle and having it as my only lubricant? I use the Rem Oil for my normal clean up and lubrication now.

Thanks,

Fred