Thread: Accustock chassis

Basic Member

Accustock chassis

Has anyone heard of, or thought of, or heard of anyone else who has stripped out an accustock chassis and bedded it into a wood stock? My preference would be for a laminated stock and I'm also assuming that Savage would not sell a stripped chassis, so it would involve tearing up a new plastic stock. What would be your thoughts as to whether or not anything could be gained over pillars and glass bedding? The main reason that I'm thinking of this is that I like the idea of the recoil lug wedge. It just seems to be counter productive to enlarge the recess around the lug when you go to the work of bedding.

Regarding the accustock actions, can you still use most of the after market goodies-i.e. triggers, lugs, magazines, and such?

I invite your thoughts and experiences, Steve

steveinwv

Re: Accustock chassis

When I bought my new FCP-K, I immediately took it apart to see how it was made. To my surprise, the accuwedge fell into two pieces. I bolted her back together without the wedge and she shoots a little better than 3/8"@100 and 3/4"@200. I wouldn't go thru the trouble of trying the accubed install. Pillar and bed your laminated stock.

glass bed with a tight fit and you will have the same thing.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Welding Rod

Quote Originally Posted by steveinwv
    When I bought my new FCP-K, I immediately took it apart to see how it was made. To my surprise, the accuwedge fell into two pieces.
    The wedge was broken into two? Is this kind of thing common with Savage? I was thinking of buying one but this raises a pretty big flag. I think they look a bit cobby and cheap, but I figured I could overlook that if the function and accuracy was there... but metalurgical failure cools my heels.

steveinwv

Quote Originally Posted by Welding Rod
    When I bought my new FCP-K, I immediately took it apart to see how it was made. To my surprise, the accuwedge fell into two pieces.
    The wedge was broken into two? Is this kind of thing common with Savage? I was thinking of buying one but this raises a pretty big flag. I think they look a bit cobby and cheap, but I figured I could overlook that if the function and accuracy was there... but metalurgical failure cools my heels.
    That is the only thing that has ever been wrong with any of my three Savages. I am more impressed by the aluminum bed than I am the accuwedge idea. Don't let this keep you from buying an excellent gun. I have had far more problems with my Rem 700s.

pphreed1

2 more cents worth of whatever My understanding is the one of the great benifits of the aluminum frame is to stiffen the the forend of the stock and with laminate you won't have that problem of a flimsy forend so I would agree that a good glass or steelbed job would be more than adequate combined with pillars

300magman

Personally I'm confused about the accustock...it sounds like a good idea when you read about it and how they explain its function, the whole Savage pitch really sells it. BUT they don't use it on any of thier higher end varmint models with plastic stocks such as the LRPV for example. Nor do they use it on any of thier target models or law enforcement models.....the new long range hunter seems to me the only "precision" model to use the accustock. But if its such a revolutionary improvement in plastic stocks, then why isn't it more widely used in the savage lineup.

beradon

The aluminum chassis is molded into the stock and removing would be just about impossible. My Savage 10 Precision Carbine is a LE Model with the accustock and I like it but its no better than a properly done (professionally done) bedding job.

MSG Janoski

The AccuStock is on the LE models (except the plain FP), unless of course you buy one with an after market stock.

When I received my 10FLCP-K I had thoughts about a McMillan but after shooting...no more thoughts about an after market at all.

P.S. My lug/wedge is a solid one piece.

steveinwv

My lug/wedge was supposed to be one solid piece also. It just wasn't.

MSG Janoski

My lug/wedge was supposed to be one solid piece also. It just wasn't.
    The AccuStock does have a specific sequence and inch pound torque for the three screws although I don't think over tightening could break the wedge, it would just screw up the accuracy. As of yet I've never heard of one being broken. It would have been a warranty replacement.

Ski911

The recoil lug and the Accu-stock wedge are NOT one piece. They are completely different parts, with the wedge being adjustable to serve the function of "locking" the recoil lug into place. It is used on some of the composite stocked guns, including some Law enforcement models. It is not on the walnut or laminated ones, because one cannot "mold" wood over the aluminum rail, unless you were to embed it into a tree and have the tree grow around it... this would take a quite a while and I am sure is the reason Savage hasn't done so. ::)

Why would anyone want to re-do a bedding job they have already paid for? The Accu-stock system works as is.