Thread: Tight bolt closure

Basic Member

Tight bolt closure

Hello,
    I have a 110 flat back 270 that I put an A&B 270 winchester barrel on for future mule deer, antelope, hunts.
    I ran some 1x shot Federal brass that I resized in my Hornady New Dimension dies, with out primers, powder, bullet through the action
    to make sure it would cycle, and I noticed a very heavy bolt closure.
    Thinking my dies were not set up properly, I grabbed some old resized, primed but unloaded brass that I had run through an old set of RCBS dies.
    Same thing, very heavy bolt closure.
    So, it seems my A&B barrel has a tight chamber, and it is bad enough that I will not want to take it hunting at this point.
    Do I, try another set of dies.
    Live with a heavy bolt closure.
    Polish the chamber.
    If I polish the chamber, I assume this would need to be done by someone who has done it before, or can a novice gun smith use his battery drill, brush and some sort of polish, do this.
    Thanks
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Trim the brass 10 thou and then try to cycle it, if you see any improvement trim it until you get results you want, then do the rest to that length.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Dumb question-are you lubbing the INSIDE of the case necks? Tight bolt can be stretched neck caused by expander stretching-but you knew that.

hub
    If trim length is correct and the problem still exists then adjust the die. With RCBS dies you can normally eliminate your problem by screwing the die down to the shell holder and then turn the die down another 1/16 th turn. Continue turning the die down 1/16 at a time until the case chambers easily.

Another option is when the barrel nut was tightened down the headspace shrunk a bit.

stangfish
    This is a brief synopsis of your post. I put on a different barrel. Now the bolt is difficult to close.

This is what I am hearing. I did not double check my headspace or, I didn't have any gauges now I am stuck with a short chamber. What do I do?

The solution has already been stated. If a new cartridge is tight you need to reheadspace and if a new one fits you need to back off on you sizing die and bump you shoulder back a little at a time. ****This is critical******
    Last edited by stangfish; 05-05-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Another option is when the barrel nut was tightened down the headspace shrunk a bit.
    I always get they opposite effect when I tighten the barrel nut, the headspace opens up.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    i've had the barrel turn just alittle on 2 of my rifles when i put a new barrel on drove me nuts for awhile until i figured it out. now when it does it i mark good and how much it turned then back of the barrel that much and retighten then check with my go/no-go guages.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info.
    I used go and no go gauges, this is the 5th rifle I have rebarrelled using go and no go gauges. I also run both of them thru, after setting the barrel to 30 ft lbs, to verify nothing changed.
    Yes I lube inside of case necks.
    I will sacrifice 1 new primer and re adjust my die, if that does not work I will check the oal of my brass, trim one .010 and try that.
    Thanks guys
    Any more ideas, feel free to reply.

stangfish
    Hornady LNL cartridge Headspace Gauge is your Friend and IS a Beautiful Thing.

Luckus
    Quote Originally Posted by hub View Post
    If trim length is correct and the problem still exists then adjust the die. With RCBS dies you can normally eliminate your problem by screwing the die down to the shell holder and then turn the die down another 1/16 th turn. Continue turning the die down 1/16 at a time until the case chambers easily.
    This should work, definately get the Hornady headspace kit so you know where your'e at and where you need to go. May have to take a few thousands of the die base or shellholder. Good luck. Luckus

Basic Member
    Hi,
    1st off, Thank you to all you vets out there !
    Since it is raining, I pulled out my 270, painted an entire case with my sharpie and ran it through my chamber.
    The brass was previously trimmed to 2.53.
    I have some "wear"-"contact" on the front shoulder.
    I think I need to revisit my dies, and re adjust.
    Any thoughts ?

If all else fails maybe something like this...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/509...270-winchester

stangfish
    Monkey,
    What you have described is a "case" headspace issue. There are several ways to rectify this issue.

One)Get some go/no-go gauges and use them.
    Two) Adjust your barrel to fit your resized cases.
    Three) Adjust your dies to fit your current chamber headspace length.
    Four) a combination of 3 and 4.

It is that simple. Most savage barrels both factory and prefit have the chamber reamed correctly. The issue of a tight or loose chamber is based on your skill with the barrel vise and wrench.

The absolute best way for the masses is to do number one.
    After using a hornady case headspace gauge and knowing what I have learned using them one might do number two, three or four depending on your wants. The determining factor with this is do you want to use factory ammo?

The cows are home, now take some action.

I really do think you need some way of measuring cases before and after firing.
    Last edited by stangfish; 05-25-2013 at 11:55 AM.

When you installed the barrel, did you use a headspace gauge or resized brass? What procedure did you use?

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I always get they opposite effect when I tighten the barrel nut, the headspace opens up.

Dean
    Dean,
    Sometimes the barrel turns with the nut causing the chamber to close...but you knew that.

Is this post a troll? The op has been around for 7 years
    Last edited by stangfish; 05-25-2013 at 12:46 PM.

From this point forward, I am having any new barrels I order will be octagon profile, problem solved. LOL

Spanky

Basic Member
    As stated in previous post.
    I use go and no go gauges to set chamber, then torque to 30 ft lbs, then re try go and no go gauges to make sure nothing got tweaked.
    Also,
    I readjusted my die today.
    New resized brass run through just fine.
    The 1st batch of brass from my new Hornady dies and my partner press, and an old batch that I ran through rcbs dies and a rock crusher, were both snug/tight on bolt close.
    Todays re adjustment of my hornady dies fixed the problem.
    Thanks to all.

full lenght, small base dies for tight chambers has worked for me. I mic,d a fire,d brass against my resized brass knowing that the dies were set up correctly and brass trim.d....sure enuff I had a tight chamber
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 05-25-2013 at 06:47 PM.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    full lenght, small base dies for tight chambers has worked for me. I mic,d a fire,d brass against my resized brass knowing that the dies were set up correctly and brass trim.d....sure enuff I had a tight chamber
    What he said.