Thread: 260 rem. 30 degree improved ? Fireform

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

260 rem. 30 degree improved ? Fireform

I have a mauser that I had chambered to this cartridge. Here's the deal. If I don't load it to near max it does not form right and the primer is backed out of the case about .003 to .004. If I load it to near max it forms great. Thoughts? I think it is chambered .002 to long? Can this be a problem? Or do I have a wildcat of a wildcat? Thanks. Dan

sounds to me like you need to seat your bullet to touch the lands so that the case is pressed firmly against the bolt face and the case forms properly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    If I don't load it to near max it does not form right and the primer is backed out of the case about .003 to .004. If I load it to near max it forms great. Thoughts?

Thanks. Dan
    'ol P.O. warned using a light load tends to allow the case to "bounce" when fired and results in short brass, exactly the condition your having. His instruction, "Use a good stiff load".

My advice, make sure you have a crush on the neck shoulder junction and use an upper window load for the parent then you shouldn't have any problems.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I understand what you guys are saying but what I'm wondering is, can the chamber be cut to long? If so where would the line be drawn as far as being safe? I don't have a comparitor but I know the chamber is longer than the parent case. Just don't know how much? Also I have been only using new brass as parent case. Thanks. Dan

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I understand what you guys are saying but what I'm wondering is, can the chamber be cut to long? Thanks. Dan

Well its certainly possible, but I have a few questions.

1. Is this a new barrel/chamber or one that was rechambered to the improved?
    2. If you used 260 Rem brass, did you FL size it using a 260 Rem FL die?
    3. When chambering the parent was there a bit of resistance locking the bolt to battery?

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Well its certainly possible, but I have a few questions.

1. Is this a new barrel/chamber or one that was rechambered to the improved?
    2. If you used 260 Rem brass, did you FL size it using a 260 Rem FL die?
    3. When chambering the parent was there a bit of resistance locking the bolt to battery?

Bill
    1. It was a new short chamber 260 barrel. .050 or close to that.
    2. I used new 7/08 brass and I FL sized w/260 rem. FL dies
    3. No.

Basic Member
    Well, first of all 7-08 brass is shorter than 260 from the casehead to the neck-shoulder junction, how cartridge head clearance (Not headspace!) is established in a improved chamber.

Using the drawing above 7-08 brass on the average is .029" shorter than 260 Rem, casehead to the junction. If you want to use the 7 brass then you'll have to create a false shoulder by partially resizing the neck for the required crush, much the same as using 222 Rem Mag brass to make 204 Ruger brass.

On the flip side you could neck up 243s, the casehead to junction length would then be the same as 260.

Bill

stangfish
    Bill, You did an awesme job pointing this gentleman and many others in the right direction. Good form!
    Last edited by stangfish; 05-29-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Basic Member
    Thanks Bill. You have passed along a lot of information. Like stangfish stated. Funny thing is, this went a whole different direction than I first thought. Thanks again. Dan