Thread: Chromolly vs SS

romad97

Chromolly vs SS

Which are better and why? I see their is a decent price difference between the two.

SS is more corriosion resistant, SS requires no coating or treatments to be done to it (paint, duracoat, or blueing, etc.), Some people say SS will not "burn out" as fast but others say the opposite so who knows. I think that the added cost you mention is mostly because SS is a more expensive raw material, and due to SS having to be cut/machined at a slightly slower rate thus increasing man hours required to build the barrel/blank our of SS vs. CM.

It's really whether or not you require the rust/corroision resistance or not, and which one looks better to you. I like SS, but I have and like CM also, and I have not seen a trend as to if one is more accurate that the other or not.

JMHO
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Neither has ever proven to offer a noticeable advantage over the other. For many it's an aesthetics thing - they want the barrel finish to match the finish on their action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.