Thread: Input on Velocities and Accuracy??

monkiejohnson

Input on Velocities and Accuracy??

Finally got a chance to get the rig out to the Range and try out my loads with my 110 FCP Lapua. Unfortunately with things being the way they are I simply cannot find any H1000 (which everyone seems to have success with). I am using Win. Supreme 780 as it showed the best accuracy results in the new volume Speer manual (the only book I have). I performed a ladder test a found 82.2 grns of Sup 780 with Berger 300 OTMs group the best. I was doing my test with the COAL .015 off the lands but quickly discovered they were to long to load in the mag. I was performing the test at 200yrds with my final COAL at 3.75 and my best group was 1.3 MOA with an average velocity over 5 rounds of 2563 fps. I have only had this rifle a few months and only put 48 hand loads down the tube (during testing) and 72 "FUN" factory loads when I first bought it. I guess my question to the more experienced 338 lapua shooters would be: Does this sound like a decent workup? I was expecting a little higher velocities but im not sure I want to run a hotter load and wear out my barrel faster. Im not too,too worried about the group size because im still getting used to the rifle and it could have been just me. I have read other people getting better results though. Any comments would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
    David

SHL540KB308
    David, Glad to see you use a chrono, most don't. H1000 and RL25 work well, burn rates are almost identical, have no knowlege about 780 so I can't comment. Try to achieve at least 2650 to take advantage of the 300gr BC. I think with an increase in velocity your accuracy will improve if it is ammo related. If you want to run 300gr bullets slow, I would use a 300gr Sierra and save some money. Don't worry about wearing the barrel out, you'll run out of money first. The stock barrel will shoot well. Personally I use RL25 or H1000 with a 300gr Scenar @ 2700, Federal 215M, Lapua brass, COAL is 3.900 with .010 jump, I single feed only. Gets the job done with .5MOA @ 1000.

Later, Brad

monkiejohnson
    Brad,
    A 3.9 COAL!?! I was first testing with a 3.815 and thought the bullet was going to fall out! LOL So your saying I shouldn't worry about shortened barrel life and bump up my charges to get over 2650?? I would like to keep the COAL to mag dimensions. Would that large of jump have a big effect on accuracy if I bump up the charge?

Retumbo powder is also a choice. I have tried them all. Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

mnhntr
    Where are you located? I have 1 lb of H1000 unopened I have no use for.

SHL540KB308
    If you can get to 2650 or close, that would be good, your going to be useing the BC offered with the 300gr bullet. The BC of a bullet changes with velocity and it doesn't get any better once it leaves the barrel. Load them at mag length and shoot until you feel that your groups are the best that you can achieve without any changes, this might take a few trips to the range. Now, if you make a change, like more jump or powder charge, you might see more information, only change one thing at a time. Get use to the gun, don't be in such a hurry about the accuracy, it will get better the more you shoot and this doesn't mean you have to fire 50 rounds every range trip. You'll do just fine!

Later, Brad