Thread: ?Savage 16 "fluted"?

?Savage 16 "fluted"?

I just got off the phone with a gun shop to see what they had for savage .223's in stock. the one that confused me is he said he had a model 16 stainless, accu trigger, accu stock with a heavy fluted 26" barrel for $699. I told him i didn't no they made a heavy barreled model 16 weather warrior, he said it was not a weather warrior. but just a 16 and that it might have been a special edition. Can anybody shed some light on this model? and if there is such a gun, would it be a good deal?

BMoe

Re: ?Savage 16 "fluted"?

I believe I handled the same rifle at Cabelas the other day. Don't recall the model #. about the same price.

With all these savage experts here I find it hard to believe no one has any info about this model! Help

Savage makes oddballs that aren't normal models all the time. Especially to their big box customers like Cabelas, Gander, ...etc.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

oldguy

I seen one at Cabela's some weeks back 24 inch fluted barrel Model 16,thumb hole stock, but the barrel was more of a Varmint weight not the heavy as on my Model 12, I suspect the 16 was a special run for Cabela's or other seller, nice rifle.

is there a list from savage about all these special models and which model a certain store may have or do you just have to check with the stores from time to time to see whats out there?

oldguy

Quote Originally Posted by 03mossy
    is there a list from savage about all these special models and which model a certain store may have or do you just have to check with the stores from time to time to see whats out there?
    I've have never seen such a list certainly not on Savage website on occasion you will see a certain store advertise as a model made for them. Basically its normally a standard model as 16, 12,etc with perhaps different contour barrel or type stock sometimes good ideas in my opinion.

I have a 223 with a thumbhole stock and heavy 20" barrel, it looks just like a model 10fp.. It was a special run for a box store and had a designation number of 11bgh,took awhile but a very nice lady at Savage spent some time and ran it down, then told me who the distributor was (Bill Hicks).
    This particular rifle will never leave my home for another, it shoots .3 all day and when I do my part I can get it to .19-.20 on calm days with no distractions,using 63grn hpbt sierra match kings.
    Now that I bought a good bench rest(caldwell rock br) I can't wait to get out and shoot this one plus a few more that haven't been shot yet, 25/06 vlp and a 7mm rem mag tactical that is waiting for a new stock.
    If I can figure out how to post pictures they will go up when I am done.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

steveinwv

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

I have a 223 with a thumbhole stock and heavy 20" barrel, it looks just like a model 10fp.. It was a special run for a box store and had a designation number of 11bgh,took awhile but a very nice lady at Savage spent some time and ran it down, then told me who the distributor was (Bill Hicks).
    This particular rifle will never leave my home for another, it shoots .3 all day and when I do my part I can get it to .19-.20 on calm days with no distractions,using 63grn hpbt sierra match kings.
    Now that I bought a good bench rest(caldwell rock br) I can't wait to get out and shoot this one plus a few more that haven't been shot yet, 25/06 vlp and a 7mm rem mag tactical that is waiting for a new stock.
    If I can figure out how to post pictures they will go up when I am done.
    Where are you finding Sierra 63gr hpbt bullets?

sorry these are 63grn smp the load I use for the bushmaster are 69grn.hpbt need to put on glasses when reading the box.

FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

just got back from looking at this and it sure is a beautiful gun! it just says model 16 on it. after i held it for abit i had made up my mind it was coming home with me but after the slap in the face on my trade i brought in (Browning gold 20 mossy oak camo less than 2 boxes through it) I'm gonna have to wait. :'(

Basic Member

Does it have a gray stock with either a hinged floorplate or detachable box magazine? If so it's probably the BGH (Big Game Hunter) model which is a limited production model Savage made. The local gun shop here had a few a while back and I should have bought one, they look like nice rifles.

Nope it has a black accustock, but does have the hinged floor plate. I still can't get it out of my head, might have to go back and put down a deposit!

transalp1961

After purchasing a 243 model 16 BGH (big game hunter), I saw a similar model at Cabelas in Hammond, Indiana. The one at Cabelas was different in that it had a 24" barrel (BGH had a 22"), a varmint action (BGH has a sporter action, which can be adjusted down to a 2.5 lb trigger pull, the varmint action can be adjusted a little lower), and it had a accustock (BGH had a standard plastic stock). The model at Cabelas was a 16 FHVSS. I got all this information by contacting Savage Arms with the serial numbers of both guns. They told me these are both special edition limited run guns. Better buy one now if you want it. I paid $529 for the BGH I bought (NIB at a a gunshow). The dealer I purchased it from said it was a limited run that was discontinued due to lack of sales (he said he got a real good price since they were discontinuted). Cabelas wanted $699 for the 16 FHVSS. I called my local Cabelas (Wheeling, WVA) and they said they had the 16 FHVSS in various calibers. Hope this helps.

Basic Member

a couple of years ago I saw a Savage on Cabelas shelf that also was not like any other in the Savage catalog. I called Savage customer service and had to get thru at least 3 people before anyone was able to identify it, special run for Cabelas. Since they had a unique stock option available in LH, myself and 2 of my LH friends each bought one.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------