Thread: What can I make with what?

Edwards

What can I make with what?

is there a .pdf or spreadsheet somewhere that lists a given caliber and then what it takes to go to other cal.s?
    ex.
    .308 to .300win..
    .308 to .300 whisper
    .243 to .270
    .243 to .308

I go by the pawn shops frequently and I seem to always find good deals but never something I want. Today I found a stanless 30-06, although i don't care for the cartridge, it was a good deal. I've seen posts that have guns starting life as one cal and ending...I should say "currently" another. What does it take to do this? Trying to find a cheat sheet, if you will, for caliber conversions.

thanks

There is a cheat sheet floating around here somewhere that im sure someone will chime in with. But since you can also switch bolt heads and mags the possibilities are endless. The only exception is long action calibers can't fit a short action. Just an example of whats possible my deer rifle is a 270wsm that I switch over to .204 ruger for a backup prairie dog gun. I have to switch the barrels, mags and followers, bolt head, and since the wsm is controlled round feed I also have to remove the ejector cause the 204 is push feed. I also swicth the stocks since the barrel contours are so different.

If you see a good deal jump on it and worry about what to turn it into later

Basic Member
    Hope this is what you are looking for: http://www.gunnersgear.com/savage_pi...head_sizes.pdf

Long actions can be converted to short action calibers but not vice versa unless you want to pull the bolt after every round and load em one at a time.

Most of the theoretical conversions given by the OP are kinda bass ackwards but the .243 to .308 is a snap with nothing more than a barrel change cause they are both short action calibers.
    270 to .243 will work with a barrel swap but not 243 to 270 because the .270 is a long action and the .243 short action is too short for the .270 long action cartridge.
    and .300win mag to .308 is going to require both a bolt head and barrel swap. the .300win cartridge wont fit in a .308 length action because it's too long but either will fit in the longer .300win mag long action. Get it?
    Also the win mag uses a larger bolt head .534 while the other cartridges you named use a standard .473 bolt head.

A stainless 30-06 would make a very desireable action to build on but there's nothing wrong with the 30-06 cartridge and if you don't have one I highly suggest you try it before taking it apart. Flatter shooting and more powerful than the .308 with enough giddy up to take any game in North America without the severe jump in recoil of the win mag.
    There is a reason it's been around since the turn of the last century and is the #1 deer caliber in the woods.

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 05-16-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Edwards
    so based on the info the jackinsd gave, i can assume that the change from .308 to .22/250 is as follows:
    new barrel, go/no-go's for the 22/250.
    The orig bolt having a .470 face will work.

What about the magazine? Any changes there? My .308 is blind, staggered. Cases being different diameter, I would think some changes would have to be made.

Also from the info from BigHonkijeep....when all else fails, by long actions, they can be made into anything?

You've got it. Pretty simple really.
    Just be sure and remove the ejector,( preferably inside a bag to catch the spring loaded parts), when re barreling and setting your head space. The bag also comes in handy during reassembly just in case. ( I prefer a 1 gallon ziploc) Also make sure to remove your scope mount because the screws may go all the way through to your barrel threads. ( Don"t ask me how I know about this one )

The 22-250 will feed from the .308 blind staggered mag just fine.

Long actions rule.

Have fun and I smell an addiction coming on.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 05-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.