Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Way to Get a Wooden Axis Stock Target Stock

gmruehle

A Way to Get a Wooden Axis Stock Target Stock

I was checking out Youtube, and came across a post of someone who had used an Axis rifle to build a competition rifle. He modified it from a 30.06 to a 6mm TCU, (necked-up .223 brass to .243), and was shooting < 1" groups @ 300 yards, and at 100 yards, could cover with a dime. He used a BSA CF2 stock, and modified it for the Axis action. I purchased one of these stocks, and almost have the action installed. It was a pretty close fit to start with. I'll have to change the mounting holes from 5" to the 4.8", and will probably do it with offset pillar blocks.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brcEm6RE9kM

Gary
    Last edited by gmruehle; 05-12-2013 at 10:22 PM.

rattfink
    I have watched this. He does a good job.
    I may get adventurous someday....

Here is more of the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THHYw2j6hio
    Last edited by rattfink; 05-12-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Team Savage
    Pics of mine is on Page 4

drybean

cheapshot
    I just ordered one to play around with. Can't beat the price.

stangfish
    I was hoping this secret would not get out. Where's the lifeboats.

StandingTall
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Pics of mine is on Page 4

drybean
    Is that a Boyd's Savage 110 centerfeed blind magazine stock?
    Last edited by StandingTall; 05-14-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by StandingTall View Post
    Is that a Boyd's Savage 110 centerfeed blind magazine stock?
    nope,it was a short action (4.27) stock

drybean

cheapshot
    Just got my stock in today. Looks pretty good for the money. Does anyone know where to get the adjustable butt pad and bipod rail? The but pad it came with is aluminum and is what I would call a "dovetail". The forend is milled for a rail to be bolted in, much like the choate stocks.
    Last edited by cheapshot; 05-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.

gmruehle

Part Sources

Quote Originally Posted by cheapshot View Post
    Just got my stock in today. Looks pretty good for the money. Does anyone know where to get the adjustable butt pad and bipod rail? The but pad it came with is aluminum and is what I would call a "dovetail". The forend is milled for a rail to be bolted in, much like the choate stocks.
    I had purchased my stock, and found the rail at Champion Shooters Supply. Rail was $12.95, and a sling/bipod adapter was $8.95. The measurement I took shows that the rail is a Winchester / Freeland type, not the Anschutz one. Still waiting for the order, 5 days.

Link: http://www.championshooters.com/

I did find the Buttpad on a website, I think its in Europe somewhere. The price was like 27 pounds, I think. I did a search for CF2 parts, or whatever the baseplate name was, and somehow I found it. I just decided to make my own though, and not use the base.

The bottom metal / trigger guard is also available from the same place, sorry I didn't keep the website. The bottom metal / trigger guard was 87 pounds though. Kinda pricey.

I have an old, about 45 years old, BSA 7mm mag rifle, my grandfather had. The bottom metal from that rifle fit perfectly. I used it to make a pattern, and cut out one from 1/8" stainless. Next I bent a trigger guard from the same stainless. Turned out pretty good. If you want to make your own, I can scan the pattern in, and e-mail you the pattern.

Gary

gmruehle
    OK,

I found the buttpad at champion shooters supply, $65.00 each. Same place as the Accessory Rail. The bottom metal can be found here: http://www.airgunspares.com/store/category/77/599/BSA/ Including shipping, handling to Michigan, 39 pounds or about $60.00 US.
    Last edited by gmruehle; 05-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.

cheapshot
    Gary,
    Wow, way to come strong! If you could get me that pattern it would be awesome! Thanks for the help on the rail link. I would love to hear more about your ideas for the butt pad. I have a couple take off butt pads lying around that i could use as a donor.

cheapshot
    Also, did you wind up receiving a walnut stock per chance?

gmruehle
    No, it was a birch stock. The dove tail base is made by Freeland, as is the buttpad. For my buttpad, I used some of that 1/8" stainless, drilled the mounting holes, screwed it to the stock, and traced the butt of the gun on it. After I got it shaped correctly, drilled slightly larger holes in a piece of 1/4" rubber gasket material. This rubber was about 1/4" larger all the way around. Then I glued it to the plate, with Super 77, a fancy contact cement. After it was dry, I used a grinder and ground the rubber edge to fit the plate. My Axis is only a 223, so I'm not worried about the recoil. PM Me with your e-mail, and I'll scan the bottom metal plate, and send it.

Gary
    Last edited by gmruehle; 05-16-2013 at 11:05 PM.

jake7.62
    Great stock for the money. Just bought one for my 110 LA and the action screws line up perfectly. Now I just have to inlet the thing, but it looks like it won't be that hard. Just throw it on the milling machine and have at it. I'm going to buy another 2 or 3 for future builds.

gmruehle
    Yeah, I've got the action all fitted, and have the pillar blocks made up. I had some 5/8" aluminum rod laying around, so I made the blocks out of that. I used the back action screw hole as it was, but opened it up to 5/8". Then I used a mill, with a digital X-Y readout, and stepped the stock 4.8 inches to the front, and drilled again. The original and new holes in front didn't completely line up, but I think the epoxy will fill in just perfectly. As soon as I get those mounted, I'm going to bed the action so there isn't any more "flex", or movement. We'll see how it goes then. I'll leave about 1/16" space between the wood and the action for bedding purposes. I also modified an Accu-trigger, and fit it into the axis. I'll post pics when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by gmruehle View Post
    Yeah, I've got the action all fitted, and have the pillar blocks made up.
    Gary on the pillars did you leave the action side flat or concave?

I bedded my stock this week and have a couple of stainless steal pillars a friend of mine made for me (concave at the action) and as an afterthought I thought about bedding them in especially when the action screws do not torque down without pressing into the stock.

I also bought some stain from Ace that has "Gun Stock" as the shade, but this looks to have a red tint to it, so I'm also looking for a stain that is close to the Birchwood Casey kit I did for a 10/22 stock. It has Walnut Stain in it but the only Walnut stain I found list it as “Dark” and I tried this but it looks more black then brown to me. Anyone have a suggestion on this?

gmruehle
    I cut a slight concave in the front pillar block, but left the rear one flat, but cut a slight recess on the rear to rest against the trigger assy. On both pillar blocks, I marked the bottoms with an arrow, showing the correct orientation when they were installed. I also cut a slot in the stock, and epoxied a home made recoil lug in place. Before using any epoxy, I used multiple coats of Johnsons Paste Wax on the receiver to prevent any unpleasant surprises when I tried to remove the action afterwords.

Gary

gmruehle
    Well, I finally finished the Axis 223 rifle with the CF2 stock. I can't figure out how or where to post pics, but I have a couple to post. Maybe someone can help me with this.

Gary

junkman1967
    Where did you buy the stock?

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by gmruehle View Post
    Well, I finally finished the Axis 223 rifle with the CF2 stock. I can't figure out how or where to post pics, but I have a couple to post. Maybe someone can help me with this.

Gary
    There is a wonderful tutorial on this subject in the faq section. We really want to see it.

Just completing the pillar job (already did the bedding and the pillars were a after thought) and the finish on mine this weekend. It rained all weekend so worked on it a lot! I have to put a couple more coats of Polycrylic Clear Satin finish on it. I found a stain "Golden Oak" that turned out real nice!
    Gary the bottom plate template you sent me worked out great! Thanks again. So far this is the second one I have done, the first was for the .308 and this one is for my 25-06. I will post some pics of it also when I finish up on it

I have a blank piece of Walnut I think I will try and do the next one for my .223. I will try and make a series on it when I start it.

Thanks again Gary for the bottom plate template you sent me!

Oh and junkman1967 you can get the stock over at Numrich gun parts http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

gmruehle
    OK, I think I may have it. I'll try and post 10 pics of my Axis .223/CF2 hybrid.

Hopefully they will work.

I did forget to take a pic of the single feed tray I made, so I didn't have to fit a magazine. I'll get it later, and edit this post.

Gary
    Last edited by gmruehle; 07-02-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Changed Pic Format

cheapshot
    that looks awesome!!! great work!!

Soo close Gary! Rather than using the URL code from Photobucket, use the IMG code (just replace the URL with IMG on both ends of the links in your above post). That will let the images display here rather than just showing links to them back on your photobucket account.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

gmruehle
    Single Feed Tray

I may have figured out this picture posting thing.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast