Thread: Any tips on 243 ai forming

RHH

Any tips on 243 ai forming

any one have any tips on getting max overall leanth on fireforming
    i just fireformed 50 with new lapua brass and gave each a very light coating of imperial sizeing wax and got much more consistance results than my 22 250 ai with only .001 difference in oal
    2.035" new
    2.013 to 2.014" in my fire formed brass
    i dont have any 22 250 ai with me at the moment but i remember right it didn't shink as much but required a trimming because they didn't shink the same

robert

gotcha

Re: Any tips on 243 ai forming

Hi Robert, sounds like you've got a handle on it! Consistancy of 243AI o.a.l. is excellent. The shrinking on fire forming is very close to what I get on my 6mm rem. AI . I fireform with full power loads ( one charge weight below max) and light bullets. I've used cream of wheat topped with Crisco and pistol powders, don't care for the mess personally. ---- On your 22/250AI did you use 250 Savage brass by any chance? What method did you use for fire forming 22/250 AI vs 243 AI ? Thumbs up on the imperial die wax. The idea never occured to me. Thanks, Dale

RHH

on the 22 250ai i used new r&p 22 250 brass but didn't use the imperial wax and had to trim to square up and get them all the same length
    i don't know if it was the wax or just better quality on the lapua to form them so consistant
    on both cartridges i used a bullet that could use for something, used a ladder load to find a good load in unformed brass and loaded a box of them
    then used fireformed brass to work a load up with a preferred bullet

Robert

gotcha

RHH, Understood ! Rem. brass can run the whole gammot, from dyno-mite to YUCK! With "yuck" being about 20% of all made in my experience. Hope the .243 AI is performing well for you. Let us know. Dale P.S. don't have a .243AI so don't have a bullet/load to recommend.Are you varminting, hunting deer or shooting paper. I'm sure some one could recommend loads.