Thread: Value of RCBS Big Max A4?

kingalw

Value of RCBS Big Max A4?

I currently am using an RCBS Big Max A4 to load for my .204. I have a Forster Benchrest Seater but I'm not getting accurate seating. From what I've read, the benchrest seater is much better when paired with a press that free floats the case, like the Forster Coax press. So I'm debating on whether to sell my A4 and was curious as to whether anyone knew what they go for? I may just keep it and buy the Forster depending on what it's worth. I've googled it and haven't found any that have sold recently to get a market value.

Re: Value of RCBS Big Max A4?

What was the retail price for the Big Max? Considering it's now a used press, knocking off at least 25% would be fair.

Tom
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

kingalw

I have no idea what retail was. It was only made for a few years back in the 70's or 80's I cant remember which for sure. I think it was around 1983.

Sorry, no experience with what they went for back then. Did you buy the press or was it given to you? Swaging what presses cost back then, I guess you could ask in the $100 to $200 range depending on overall condition. One deciding factor is the availability of parts should something need to be replaced. If parts/accessories are in the "unobtainium" catagory, that will drastically affect value. HTH

Tom
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

uad7116

There's one on EBAY in great condition right now up to 152.50. Kris

kingalw

Yeah after I asked this two of them were listed on eBay :) One sold for $305 shipped and the other is over $200 right now and ends tomorrow.

gordo

Quote Originally Posted by kingalw
    I currently am using an RCBS Big Max A4 to load for my .204. I have a Forster Benchrest Seater but I'm not getting accurate seating. From what I've read, the benchrest seater is much better when paired with a press that free floats the case, like the Forster Coax press. So I'm debating on whether to sell my A4 and was curious as to whether anyone knew what they go for? I may just keep it and buy the Forster depending on what it's worth. I've googled it and haven't found any that have sold recently to get a market value.

gordo

How much do you want for your RCBS A4 Big Max Press,
    Thanks, Gordo

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by kingalw
    How do you know it is the press that is causing the issue?

Do you have a dial indicator or other runout gauge to find the issue? Could be the sizing die, seating die, shell holder, press, or lack of proper case prep that is causing the issue.

Personally, I would not give up on the A4 yet....find out what stage in the reloading process is creating the issue. If not, a new press will not solve the issue.