Thread: Scope Base Torque Spec

Sundodger

Scope Base Torque Spec

Putting a new set of Talley lightweight once piece ring's on my 110 and I am looking for some official torque specs.

It seems neither the savage website, my rifles owners manual, the Talley website, or the info that come with the rings say anything (really!?).

I was thinking about 20-25 in-lbs for the screws to the base and 15-20 for the rings, BUT I would like to seen an official spec.

Does anyone have it?

Of course the threads are clean, with no lube, and will use a touch of mid loc tight.

Thanks!

kjflan22
    I put 25 in-lbs on bases & ring clamps, and 15-18 on scope rings.

Just make sure you have decent thread engagement on the base screws and 25-30 in-lbs won't be a problem.
    Last edited by kjflan22; 05-11-2013 at 04:36 PM.

thomae
    I don't know about Talley, I would suggest you phone them.

However, for what it's worth:
    EGW suggests 20 inch pounds to attach their rails to the receiver (I know, that's an answer to a question you didn't ask).

For their Signature Zee rings, a Burris CSR told me on 7/18/2012 that they suggest 30 inch pounds for their ring to base cross screws (I replace the slotted ones with allen head ones) and 20 inch pounds for the ring top screws. That's what I use and it seems mighty tight...I'm always afraid I'm about to strip the screws...but never seem to. You could probably lower that to something between 15 and 20, but 20 is what the factory rep told me.

I don't know if it would be different with a non-insert type ring. I presume you would want it tight enough to hold the scope and no more. In the past, I have been known to use one layer of electrical tape to help hold the scope without marring when using non-Signature Zee rings.

If you are using anything other than Signature Zee rings, I would kindly suggest you align and lap your rings to keep from marring or torquing the scope tube.

Team Savage
    I use 24# on steel Weaver Grand Slam and Burris Tactical Extreme bases. I also use 24# on the Burris Signature Zee ring cross slot screw. I use 18# on the rings torx screws. I believe I got the information from Burris online in FAQ.

Sundodger
    Thanks guys, I will give Talley a call monday and report back. My concern is that using the tq value from another base supplier is that the coefficient of friction under the head of the fastener will be slightly different due to material and/or coatings driving a different target tq to get the desired clamp load.

Sundodger

Got it

I just got off the phone with Talley; they said 20-25 in lbs base to action and 17-20 in lbs top ring to bottom ring.

My guess was pretty close.