Thread: Need 34 mm rings for 10 FCP and Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50 scope

Need 34 mm rings for 10 FCP and Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50 scope

I have a Savage 10 FCP with a 20 MOA rail installed and just ordered a Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50 scope. Problem is finding the correct rings. If the largest diam is really 50 mm and one measures the distance from the top of the rail to the bottom of the scope tube=ring height, all I need is 8mm or 0.315 inch and an EGW 61103 set of rings should work at 0.456 inches.

Most of the usual suppliers are out of 34 mm rings. Any suggestions? Did I do my calculations correctly? I don't have the scope yet so can't check the measurements.

Joe

thomae
    Here are a few thoughts to consider:

You need to take into account the ~outside~ diameter of the scope objective lens bell, which will be significantly more than 50mm.
    50mm is the lens diameter, not the bell outside diameter.

If your barrel is tapered, the farther toward the rear that you mount the scope, the higher it will need to be to clear the barrel.

Also, you need to check whether or not the objective lens bell will touch the end of the rail.
    You might have to trim the rail, or use higher mounts to get it to clear and be positioned correctly for your stance and eyes.

CJnWy
    I just measured a couple of 34mm scopes and the bell on the 56mm is actually dang near 69mm and the 50mm is 58.23mm
    I checked the high rings that came with the Millet and they measure .886"=way too high to be usefulll in anything but an AR.The two 34mm scopes I have mounted on EGW bases and Savage varmint barrel do ok with .306" and .24" bases
    Bases can be found if you do a google or ask search!

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newca...ensionid=11368

http://swfa.com/Millett-Tactical-Rings-C1234.aspx

http://longrangesupply.com/index.php...dex&cPath=5_15

Thomae, thanks, you are right, of course. I will wait until the sight arrives and measure everything. I have an M-223 2-8x on it right now on some short rings and the bell on the front and the ocular on the rear just barely clear the rail on each end with the sight positioned correctly for eye relief. I just lucked out with the rings I was able to find locally with that scope. My bet is 54-56 mm or so OD on the bell, which will put me in to some "medium" height rings at least, probably.

The Bushnell scope is short like the Nikon, and I may have to trim one or both ends of the rail to keep the sight as low as possible. I tried the Nikon scope with the Nikon AR rail mount and the scope was waaay too high off the gun. Changing to the short rings helped a bunch, so I am sure the new scope will have to have a low a set of rings as possible for me to be comfortable on the gun.

CJnWy--thanks for the additional information. I will check the links after measuring my new scope next week.

Thanks again for your response.

Joe

I shot the rifle using the 2-8x Nikon M-223 scope at 500 meters on Sunday and was able to hit an 18" square plate twice out of two attempts. I am sure now that I will like the extra reach of the new 3.5-21 scope when I get it later this week. Bell on the new scope will probably be 60 mm so will likely need medium height rings or trim the base after I get the eye relief dialed in.

Joe

Got the scope and the TPS medium height (1.185") rings on Thursday evening and installed. Looks fine, maybe could have gotten by with 1/8" shorter rings clearance wise, but these seem fine as far as lining up the gun. Will shoot this weekend and take some photos. That 34mm tube scope is huge! The TPS rings are TPS model number 30596-034-02 in alloy.)

Thanks for all the advice. This is one big honkin' heavy rig now with the scope and bipod.

Bell is 2.38" (nearly 61mm) diameter, but it sticks way out over the rail. The small end diameter is 1.79" (45.2 mm) and it clears the rail by about 0.3" (7.6 mm) so 1" rings would be tight at the eyepiece end (but not hit) and the large end would still clear the barrel with plenty of room.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 12-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.

I am having a great deal of success with the new scope/rings/rifle. I sighted in the new scope setup this morning and didn't have a group larger than 3/4" at 100 yards after I quit messing with it. Then I went to the 500 meter gong range and was able to hit the 8" gong several times, but not every time. I need to go back to the 100 yard and fine tune the zero as the dial in at 500 meters was off. Doesn't take much of an error at 100 yards to result in a miss at 500! I'm learning.

I also had to add a temporary cheek rest to the FCP stock to get enough height to allow me to line up properly behind the gun prone.

While dialing in the new scope, I shot these two groups.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 12-08-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Shot the rifle again this morning, and I am getting used to the scope and to getting behind the rifle in prone position. I need a "good" cheek piece and some trigger time. Scope is excellent.

One thing I learned. I needed to push the turret knobs back in and lock them after making a change during zeroing. If this is not done, ie, if I left the turret knob out after making a correction, the results were erratic, at least for me. (Bushnell manual says the knobs can be left unlocked, however.)

Correction to above about the scope turrets. The temporary Academy rail screws had backed out just enough to allow the scope to move. I had not used any Loctite and had not tightened them down properly. I am learning. Replaced the temporary rail with a good EGW and installed it properly this time. You can leave the turret knobs out without the scope changing its setting.

I chased the zero this morning until it finally hit me what may have been the cause. Wasted 6 rounds. Newbie error. My Nikon scopes don't have locking turrets so I have to relearn some things. With the turret knobs pushed in after each correction, good 1/2" three shot groups every time.

Rifle and scope are perfect. Shooter needs work...and an acceptable cheek piece.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 12-25-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Basic Member
    I used these 34mm rings and love them. They are not cheap but perhaps the best rings on the market
    http://www.americanrifle.com/M10/default.asp

This rifle is now complete except for a cheek pad. I shot this group on Christmas Eve with my son and daughter-in-law. Everyone was able to shoot this gun and scope combination just fine. I couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the help.

Alison's target is 3" diameter and she took one shot and decided she preferred the .223! My son, Jordan, can shoot well. He didn't have the hold correct on the first shot low right. Mine are good for this ammo. Our targets are 2".

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 12-25-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Merry Christmas to me! My son bought me a Triad Tactical cheek pad and a Vortex scope level for Christmas. Nice presents from my son, I am one very happy dad.

Joe

Basic Member
    I also prefer the American Rifle rings and that is what I have on my bushy

http://www.americanrifle.com/M10/default.asp

This is an old thread but I will offer an update. The TPS medium height rings worked well mechanically but they were just a little too tall to avoid some neck strain after 10 rounds prone. I ordered some TPS short rings to replace the medium height ones and got them Thursday. I took off the medium rings and installed the short ones and re-zeroed the scope. Correction to the zero with the new rings was 0.2 mil vertical and 0.1 mil horizontal. I think that is excellent.

The original installation had survived 200 rounds without loosening, moving, or any scope problems whatsoever. I am very happy with these rings, just in case anyone is looking. I got them from Midway USA.

Joe
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.