Thread: Scope eye relief

Scope eye relief

Hi guys,

How far back do your scopes sit on your Axis rifle's to allow you to see threw the scope while holding the rifle comfortably. (Have the scope that came with the scope package deal, bushnell banner)

I have just fitted a rail to allow the scope enough rear ward movment to allow me to benchrest it comfortably, but when off-hand I feel the scope is to close to me as to get hit from the re-coil, have about 2" between eye and scope in off-hand postion.

Few photos of how the scope sits.

Modified rail to allow scope enough rear ward movment.

stangfish
    I have an opinion and that is all it is. For me, you either have arms that are Tyrannosaurus Rex short or your positioning is ...different. Just kidding. I am going to look for a link to a guy in a video who is much better at explaining it than I.

Found it

Hope this helps.

yep that be the video that made me question in the first place my scope / recticle set up. I went threw this and then got the rifle out and follwed his instructions, eyes shut... up to the shoulder.. and open eye so on.

Also watched the vid on setting up the scope as in focusing. my scope was way out.

I am 6'6" tall, not a little bloke.

Maybe need to watch it again...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Usually it depends on the scope, no?... My vortex scopes are kinda short on the eye relief so I used a scope rail that allowed me to move it back an extra 3/4 inch. It was positioned by how my cheek-weld is.

Also, I use a 2' long level sitting on a fence post across the yard & look thru the scope to level it. A string with a little weight hanging works ,too. Works like a charm....
    Good luck with it.

By the way, I dig that camo.
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Usually it depends on the scope, no?... My vortex scopes are kinda short on the eye relief so I used a scope rail that allowed me to move it back an extra 3/4 inch. It was positioned by how my cheek-weld is.

Also, I use a 2' long level sitting on a fence post across the yard & look thru the scope to level it. A string with a little weight hanging works ,too. Works like a charm....
    Good luck with it.

By the way, I dig that camo.
    Frank in Fla
    Thanks Frank,

I will be able to tell you buy about 9:30am tomorrow weather it is not enough eye relief and draws blood from the eye area. Test day for all the mods, just hope the 30knott wind drops off over night.

The camo... hmmmmm... my first attempt, designed to blend with Cane paddock trash. A few cans of enamel paint with hard clear over the top.

Shane

thomae
    I set up my scopes pretty much the way the man in the video suggests.
    With today's shorter scopes, I too, have had to machine off the tops of the some of my rails to have clearance for the scope bell. I cut off anything forward of the receiver, though, so it is not overhanging the barrel nut( since that part of the rail is not being used).

If it is a hunting rifle, you should set it up so you are aligned when shooting from the same position as when you are hunting. If you will be shooting it offhand when hunting, you should set up your scope so that you are aligned when you shoulder the rifle in that position.

The Axis factory stock does have a relatively long pull length, so your scopes may be set up further to the rear when mounted on an Axis, than when mounted on another rifle.

Have a friend help you. Get into position with your eyes closed and the scope held loosely in the rings, and have a friend move the scope forward just a bit. Open your eyes and determine if you can see through the scope properly. Do this a number of times until you figure out how far forward the scope can go. Then have your friend measure the distance between the scope and your eye or eyebrow. That's not exactly your eye relief, but it does tell you how far back the rifle can recoil until the scope hits you.
    If that distance is really only 2" I would spend the money and get a scope with something closer to 4" eye relief.

I'm going to move this to the Optics and Mounts section, because, although the OP has an Axis rifle, his question is more of a universal scope mounting issue.
    Last edited by thomae; 05-11-2013 at 06:50 AM.

You can never have enough, just take my word.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

After some more thinking and testing today, I ended up moving the scope forward about 10mm and had no trouble with eye relief. Put threw about 45 rounds between bench and off hand.

stangfish
    Scope eye... Yep

Patrolit...you aint got no neck!

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Scope eye... Yep

Patrolit...you aint got no neck!
    Only stick it out when i have to

Basic Member
    I was pondering between the Sightron SIII and a Vortex Viper PST. I went with the Vortex mainly because of the generous 4" eye relief.
    Mounting a scope with 4" relief is a piece of cake.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]