Thread: OK I can't hold it in any more

Basic Member

OK I can't hold it in any more

My mind never stops trying to figure stuff out. Key word being"trying", it don't always happen, but sometimes it does.

What the old grey matter has been boiling over lately is making a Savage that will accept ready made detachable magazines. I think I might be on to something, but it's gonna be slow going (cause I AM).

Enough lead in, what I discovered one night at my work bench, was that the 223 magazines from my Mini 14's just slide nicely into the magazine well for a 308 stagger feed. They fit into the back leaving what I feel will be enough room for me to engineer a lever release to allow it to drop out.

I have a stock coming in the near future to experiment with, so I don't ruin my good one. This will allow me to use ANY mag that will fit the mini's.

Like I said it will be slow cause, we have a family member's wedding this Sat, and then the wife and I are takin a short vacation. THEN I can devote some time to it.

I have been devoting my last 2 1/2 months to restoring an old 3 wheeler for a youth ranch. It's done and now on to my ideas.

This is how I got it.

This is how I delivered it 2 1/2 months later. Too much to list here.

I hope my Savage projects come out as nice.

I will keep posting my progress on it.

Basic Member
    Sorry, got off course a bit. The magazines have their own feeding lips, just like the factory mag wells do, so I will either be making a new well, or cutting the lips off a factory one. Prob is I only have one 308 sized and I'm not cutting on it.

Still need to locate another one.

Basic Member
    I'm interested to see how this works out. Good luck! Nice resto BTW!

stangfish
    I just tried to inset a DPMS 308 mag into a centerfeed bottom metal and it was a tight fit but the rounds fed from it.

JCalhoun
    Handi,

I vaguely remember seeing a Savage that someone converted to use Mini-14 magazines. I want to say the were in Australia?

Basic Member
    Yea I think it will end up working fine, but have to get all my spare parts first, so I don't ruin the ones I need.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I just tried to inset a DPMS 308 mag into a centerfeed bottom metal and it was a tight fit but the rounds fed from it.
    That's cool. Does it latch in or is it held just by friction?

Basic Member
    Well, the first attempt was a dismal failure. There are several issues that I cannot see an answer to. I got the mag well from Midway and trimmed the feed lips off of it to allow the Mini 14's mag lips to extend up to the bolt. The problem was the feed lips of the Mini's magazine interfered with the Savage bolt.

In future attempts, I may work on trying to build a magazine that will feed as it should.

So for now it's on the back burner.

Handrifle--That scooter looks great! Excellent work, I hope it gets a lot of use at the youth ranch.

Joe
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.

You may want to contact fgw_in_fla to see who did this mag conversion for him....

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...l=1#post127141

Basic Member
    I still want to try working a 308 pmag. But for now the dark eagle customs are the fix. Pmag is supposed to have 10 round .308 this year.

Basic Member
    Joe L thanks. From what I hear, they are.

fla 9-40
    Thanks but was only looking to do one on my own. Not really worried if i succeed or not. It's not a have to thing. I have other options, so when time permits. Been splittin and stacking wood for the winter, lately. Done almost!

I still think I can mag a magazine and mag well to work, but it will be a LOT of trial and error, mostly error, I am sure.