Thread: NSS pic request.

din

NSS pic request.

Does anyone have photos of Jim's recoil lug, barrel nut, and action wrench? I sent him a PM but haven't heard anything back in a few weeks, so I figured I'd turn to all ye forum denizens.

dont have a picture, but they look like any other lug and barrel nut. The difference is that they are trued for straightness.

The action wrench, i believe, is similar to the wheeler wrench that midway sells.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Berniep
    I can get a pic this weekend. I have all three but haven't really gotten them out yet.

Basic Member
    Ill get a picture tonight, I just had all 3 arrive last Wednesday. Easy to deal with over phone, double checked everything card # wise, repeated back order to me and what I really appreciated was a real live human called me later that evening to let me know my stuff had shipped and when ETA was.

Berniep
    Yep as busy as he must be he still took his time with me to answer my questions.

Westcliffe01
    I just got in the recoil lug and nut but mine are mounted already. For the money, the best recoil lug I know off for a Savage. Instead of a pin, they use a small cap screw and it is the head of the cap screw which fits the notch in the receiver. I used his recoil lug to replace an incorrect one fitted to a rifle I just bought used. That one had a tiny pin (less than 1/3 the diameter of the cap screw) and the pin was too long, and it stuck out on the nut side of the recoil lug and prevented the nut from securing the barrel properly since it shaved material off the nut until it locked up solid (before tightening against the receiver).

After I got the gun and was looking over the barreled action, I discovered that I could rotate the barrel, even though I could not rotate the nut. It took the receiver wrench to break free the nut, which is when I figured out what had happened. The guy who put it together must have had all sorts of issues shooting a gun with a loose barrel...

Don't even have a second thought, the stuff Jim sells is all top class. And I have to second the "pick up the telephone" comment. Although I don't know his age, he operates old school so you can really forget about email.
    Last edited by Westcliffe01; 05-09-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Basic Member
    Still waiting for parts (not from Jim)

Last edited by jbjh; 05-09-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add'l info

Kill N Grill
    I don't have individual pics but they go together pretty good

din
    Thank you kindly, guys, I just like being able to eyeball stuff before I shell out for it. I'll be giving Jim a call shortly.

brasse
    I want a pic of Jims action wrench. I can't quite picture what he is describing about the DBM reciever having problems with the barrel nut.

I put my NSS Shilen bull barrel and NSS nut and recoil lug. MUCH higher quality than Savage's or the competitors.

brasse
    Jim is my age, we both sailed with Noah in the USS ARC, beached it on Mt Arat. He does like to talk, guns, anything. Great guy with great quality stuff.

din
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Jim is my age, we both sailed with Noah in the USS ARC, beached it on Mt Arat. He does like to talk, guns, anything. Great guy with great quality stuff.
    I understand Noah was one hell of a skipper, and I think we can forgive his parking on a mountain on account of the methane buildup by that point.

If my action wrench shows up before someone else posts a pic of it I'll make sure to do so.

Basic Member
    Supposed to be a pic of the wrench
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...N-S-S-products

stangfish
    Did you cut yourself man? You need to be wearing gloves brother

Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Still waiting for parts (not from Jim)

Basic Member
    Ha! Yeah, I need to wear gloves more often, but that's just some stuff stuck on the table, not my blood.

Westcliffe01
    The pictures in that thread show the handle unscrewed and the clamp section held in a vice. It also shows the screw that engages the front receiver screw hole which 100% prevents the receiver rotating in the wrench. It is a great system for a modest price.

Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    The pictures in that thread show the handle unscrewed and the clamp section held in a vice. It also shows the screw that engages the front receiver screw hole which 100% prevents the receiver rotating in the wrench.
    Its how my 30+ year old wrench is made except for the cutout for the lug.

The only advise I'll offer, use a G8 allen head bolt and put a layer of vinyl(not plastic) electrical tape in the bore to protect the action finish. I've seen a few action screw threads screwed up or the pins bent or sheared off on a Rem pinned lug using a standard bolt when the wrench slipped and the bolt bent.

BTW, those type wrenches are only for initially loosening a barrel or nut, not to fully remove one. They can/do warp the ring and tend to cause the threads to bind. Once the action makes a 1/4 turn remove it and finish turning out the barrel by hand or using a rear entry action wrench. The same when installing a barrel. Turn the barrel in all the way then tighten the cap on the wrench to finish tightening the barrel or nut.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

brasse
    Guess I am going to have to get one of Jims action vises.

I plan on building at least 4 more Savages in the next year. I built a Ruger 10/22 for my grandson, need to build him a Savage in 223 to start. Let him pick out the stock, etc etc.

Basic Member
    Here are phone pics from removing factory barrel, before the NSS nut and lug were put on with new 22-250 barrel