Thread: Vortex Viper-Fail

Basic Member

Vortex Viper-Fail

Im posting this for all the members who do what I do each time I need to find a new scope. I google Leupold vs Sightron, then Sightron vs Vortex etc until I find a choice I'll be happy with.

Well I did a lot of research at the beginning of last year. I was stuck between Sightron and Vortex. Eventually I settled on the Sightron as the reviews were a little better and most of what I kept seeing about Vortex was how good the warranty was. It turned me away that so many people had to contact Vortex CS about their optics.

I bought the Sightron in about March of 2012 to top off a fairly heavy long range rig. Hundreds of rounds later and many adjustments from 100 to past 1000 yds and back again with no change in bullet impact at 100. Very happy with this optic. Clear, precise and reliable. Sightron SIII 8-32x56 MOA-2 reticle.

Then I decided I wanted a lighter rifle for hunting etc. I wanted a drop reticle for quick shots if needed. Did a lot of research again and decided I would try a Vortex this time. Got the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 LR with Deadhold BDC reticle. This topped off a 10 FCP with the 24" factory barrel and HS precision Stock.

Purchased the Vortex about september of 2012. Fired roughly 100 rounds through the gun before winter. Took back out yesterday for first time this year. Fired a goup at 100, then at 300, then another at 100. Went to adjust back to 300 again and the elevation turret gave out. The reticle would not adjust at all, even with over two full rotations of the turret. Was able to get it to move by adjusting down to my zero stop shims but when I put it back to the 100 yd zero it would not adjust back. To confirm it wasnt just my mind fooling me I zeroed back to 100 yds on the turret and fired a shot. Hit the ground a couple feet in front of the target.

Now I get to experience the Vortex customer service department. Talked to them this morning and they're sending a shipping label to me and stated to send it back and they'll fix it. Which I'm sure they will but this should'nt be an issue on a $550 scope.

I'm sure Vortex will make things right but I just wanted to make others aware of this issue. Like I said I did a lot of research when I bought both these scopes and the Vortex has failed just as I feared it would....

Both scopes are on seperate savage 308's.

Basic Member
    Understand this.....every scope manufacturer have made scopes that fail, high dollar, low dollar, makes no difference. I've had at least one from all brands that took a crap, some more frequent than others. The most important thing is how they fix the situation.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I agree with that. I do believe they will fix the issue as many people have said good things about the customer service. It's just a headache to have the first day back out shooting. I'm not saying all Vortex are junk...not by anymeans. I was just hesitant about buying the scope because of issues such as this and was hoping I would prove my doubts wrong.

I just want to give my experience between the two brands because last year a post such as this would have helped a lot when making my buying decision.

stangfish
    CS never helped me on a failed scope. That is why I bash nikon Prostaff and Buckmasters. I gut shot a nice buck at 40 yards and his insides fell out as he was running off. Dissapointed is not the word. I get sick if I don't make a humane kill.

I bought the SIII 6-24x50 mil/mil and am very pleased.

Basic Member
    I love my SIII. I'll give Vortex CS a fair chance to make it right. If the scope fails twice then I'll be very dissapointed. One fail I consider common error, twice I consider quality control negligence.

I'll keep you guys informed.

Westcliffe01
    I believe Vortex have sold a great many Viper scopes. When I bought my 4-16 FFP there was at least a 2 month waiting list. Given the number of sales, one very seldom hears of failures. If anything does go wrong, I have heard very positive things about Vortex making it right. More than anything else, I am always interested in what actually failed.

I initially bought Nikon scopes too, but after a "spot on" transaction for 2 custom turrets which was flagged by my credit card company as fraudulent (locked down my credit card for nearly a month) and having to speak to the people at the Nikon office, I decided that buying any "hunting" gear from an office that is 15 miles from the center of NYC has to be a bad idea. So Nikon has seen the last green from me that they ever will.

So far, my 2 Monarch scopes work fine for what they are, but I like my Vortex scopes a lot more. Hoping to get my 6-24 PST out to the range soon, if my 30mm rings come in this week from opticsplanet.

Basic Member
    i may have stated this here but it could have been another site.
    last fall my son bought a vortex viper i believe 6x24 side focus scope.
    he bought it from euro optics in montoursville pa. he like me lives in florida
    but hunts from our camp in pa. he had the scope shipped directly to the camp
    and i installed it. i couldnt bore site the scope with the windage knob. it just didnt move
    the reticle when the knob was turned. next day was first day of bear season so we emailed
    euro optics while out hunting. my son wasent due to arrive till later in the week in time for deer season.
    that evening a factory rep called me at the camp. he told me he knew the problem with the scope.
    he asked that we loosen the rings while he was on the phone. we did and the windage tracked just fine.
    he said 15 inch pounds of torque on the ring screws max. no tightening them to they might break as i had done.
    that is the only vortec scope weve owned. i wont comment as to how good it is at this point due to the brief period
    weve used it. it is mounted on a 338x378 16# gun. we have run the thing up and down quite a few times while shooting
    at distances out to 1500 yds. it has performed flawlessly so far. the rep told me every vortex scope is checked before they
    leave the factory. for sure the one we had was and it worked or it wouldnt have been boxed. i appriciate the dealers effort
    as we had never purchased anything there before. and i appriciate the rep in getting right on it and getting us straightened out.
    for the record i have 2 friends who last year sent their nightforce scopes back due to parralex issues. the scopes were returned
    stating nothing was wrong with them. neither of the owners torqued the ring screws. till this incident i had never torqued a
    ring screw in my life.

palerider338
    60 rounds of 30-06 180 gr through my new Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x 50 FFP EBR-1 MOA scope just the other day.......no issues

whatsoever.

Will do another 60 -100 rounds tomorrow and see if anything changes. Love the scope BTW FWIW.

davemuzz
    Last spring I purchased a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 Rifle scope SFP EBR-1 MOA scope for my new Savage .223 Carbine. I had it on the rifle about a month, and was getting ready for the range and the rifle had a "slow drop" (slide down the wall) to the floor. Not a slam, but it hit the floor. Undaunted, I went to the range. The scope needed another 15 or 20 rounds to get back to zero.

I sold it (loss of $50) to another guy who knew the story and purchased a Leupold VX-3 8.5x25 50mm side focus with a Varmint reticle. In the fall of last year I purchased a second Leupold VX-3 of the same for my Savage 6.5 Swede. You don't just pay for the name of Leupold, you pay for a higher quality scope that can handle the toughness of the outdoors.

Dave

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Last spring I purchased a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 Rifle scope SFP EBR-1 MOA scope for my new Savage .223 Carbine. I had it on the rifle about a month, and was getting ready for the range and the rifle had a "slow drop" (slide down the wall) to the floor. Not a slam, but it hit the floor. Undaunted, I went to the range. The scope needed another 15 or 20 rounds to get back to zero.

I sold it (loss of $50) to another guy who knew the story and purchased a Leupold VX-3 8.5x25 50mm side focus with a Varmint reticle. In the fall of last year I purchased a second Leupold VX-3 of the same for my Savage 6.5 Swede. You don't just pay for the name of Leupold, you pay for a higher quality scope that can handle the toughness of the outdoors.

Dave
    i certainly wouldnt argue with your opinion.
    i have an 8.5 x25 also along with quite a few other leupolds.
    but in fairness your problem could well have been a tweeked scope ring also.
    ive had it happen.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    i may have stated this here but it could have been another site.
    last fall my son bought a vortex viper i believe 6x24 side focus scope.
    he bought it from euro optics in montoursville pa. he like me lives in florida
    but hunts from our camp in pa. he had the scope shipped directly to the camp
    and i installed it. i couldnt bore site the scope with the windage knob. it just didnt move
    the reticle when the knob was turned. next day was first day of bear season so we emailed
    euro optics while out hunting. my son wasent due to arrive till later in the week in time for deer season.
    that evening a factory rep called me at the camp. he told me he knew the problem with the scope.
    he asked that we loosen the rings while he was on the phone. we did and the windage tracked just fine.
    he said 15 inch pounds of torque on the ring screws max. no tightening them to they might break as i had done.
    that is the only vortec scope weve owned. i wont comment as to how good it is at this point due to the brief period
    weve used it. it is mounted on a 338x378 16# gun. we have run the thing up and down quite a few times while shooting
    at distances out to 1500 yds. it has performed flawlessly so far. the rep told me every vortex scope is checked before they
    leave the factory. for sure the one we had was and it worked or it wouldnt have been boxed. i appriciate the dealers effort
    as we had never purchased anything there before. and i appriciate the rep in getting right on it and getting us straightened out.
    for the record i have 2 friends who last year sent their nightforce scopes back due to parralex issues. the scopes were returned
    stating nothing was wrong with them. neither of the owners torqued the ring screws. till this incident i had never torqued a
    ring screw in my life.
    I read that story once before. I have a few Vortex scopes. The one time I had any trouble was with a Crossfire. It wouldn't hold up on my 30.06. Vortex emailed a pick up ticket & had a new one back to me by the 8th day. No fees. No charges. No $15 shipping & handling.
    I've had great service from the scopes & their Customer Service has been one of the best to deal with.
    I think even if I had the extra cash to buy a high end Leupold, I'd look at the Vortex products first. They've done me righteous.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

My brother in the last year has bought a Nikon monarch vortex viper and Leopold vx II and neither of them worked right out of the box. The Nikon would not hold zero the vortex turret was broke and the Leopold had serious parallax issues. All three were made right but just goes to show that no company is without its faults.

I've been trying to deal with Vortex about Military Discounts. They make it so bad in getting info, even after they say they do offer them, that it has made me rethink my choice. Too much BS.

Basic Member
    there can be many reasons for disliking something. or for that matter somebody.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    there can be many reasons for disliking something. or for that matter somebody.
    Now.....that's a good statement to quote. Concise, short, to the point. Almost Philosophical.

Basic Member
    Update:

Vortex sent a new scope in place of the one I sent back. The shipping was quick...about a 5 day wait until the new scope was here. Now to see how it holds up compared to the first scope.

Basic Member
    I expect it'll work like it's supposed to. The Philippino facility(ies) do a good job manufacturing scopes (that's where Vortex Viper scopes, along with a huge quantity of other brands' scopes, are actually made/manufactured). In fact, there aren't that many actual riflescope manufacturers on the planet. While they _might_ do a significantly different job, in terms of their care in manufacture and assembly, with the various labels/brands they manufacture for, I doubt it.

I've come close to buying a Vortex on a couple of occasions. I recognize that a noticeable portion of their price tag, like Leupold's, is to pay for the warranty and customer service. However, and in contrast to Leupy, I haven't found the overall package from Vortex compelling enough to pay the extra $. My last 2 scopes have been Redfield and Leupold, with a Weaver before that. My next one(s) will probably be from those companies, too.
    Last edited by MZ5; 05-26-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    B the way, when my Crossfire died from the recoil of a 30.06, Vortex made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a new Viper at a deep discount. I think when all was said & done, I paid around $200 for a new Viper in place of the old Crossfire.

They're pretty good folks to deal with.
    Good luck with the new scope.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

EAW
    Thus far I have very much enjoyed my Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA scope. Jarred at Bares Sports in St Charles, MI has the same scope. Loves it though he'd go with the MRad Reticule. He has dropped his from the top of a combine and had it bounce off the top turret on one of the steps of the combines ladder, picked it up still ready to rock and roll. Still zeroed in. I bought my scope from Midway as smaller shops have issues doing the 5000 dollar minimum order to be a Vortex dealer.