Thread: Looking for an education on Savage 99s, please?

Canuck Bob

Looking for an education on Savage 99s, please?

I've been asking general question over at the collectors forum regarding pre-mil models. I think it better to ask my more general question here.

One of the new models that interests me is the C. Removable mags are handy and after decades of unloading my Marlin one cartridge at a time they appeal to me.

But my main question is about post-mil models. Are they clunky poorly fit rifles compared to the pre-mils? Or are the differences in use more about the fine points of collecting rather than functioning? Do you have a favorite post-mil model?

Re: Looking for an education on Savage 99s, please?

Like I said already, there is nothing wrong with the post-mils when it comes to hunting, in fact I prefer a tang safety over a lever safety anyday when it comes to hunting.

My favorite post-mil is my 99-375 brush rifle, I love it, deer and moose hate it.
    Savage- "never say never".

Canuck Bob

Thanks Mad Dog,

You sure cover the Savages well. I'm a little comcerned about what is appropriate on what site.

The tang safety is no problem for me either. I suspect the tang folding peeps are out with a tang safety, true?

Ya, after 1960 (post-mil) they did away with the drill holes for the tang sights, you'd have to go with a receiver sight that mounts to the scope holes. Lyman 57SB.
    Savage- "never say never".