Thread: factory stripped receiver scope base holes

x98myers7

factory stripped receiver scope base holes

i've spent the past hour searching this topic... i can't believe i'm the only one to have this problem, please feel free to point me to an existing link with info

yesterday I started to install my new talley 1-piece scope base/rings. after taking off the existing worthless factory
    rings/bases, I noticed 3 of the 4 scope base holes were completely stripped, or partially cross-threaded.

I was able to remove the stripped threads from the receiver, clean them up a bit, a tiny bit of red loctite, force in new screws and torque them down. after shooting, it still seems to be holding.

I just bought the rifle in January. brand spanking new. what the heck?! is this a common problem from the factory? based on the fact that the front hole is directly above the barrel and cannot be re-tapped without removing the barrel... it appears I have no choice but to take it all down to a bare receiver, drill and re-tap?

masterblaster
    Had same issue, try reaming with a tap, but even if it works you might think about going to the size 8 thread and re-tap the holes, there is probably coating slag in the holes like mine was. This will be in your mind every time you have a bad shot so just go ahead and ream them out to the next size up now, will be stronger anyway.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by x98myers7 View Post
    the front hole is directly above the barrel and cannot be re-tapped without removing the barrel
    Why? Just use a bottom tap the same as you would tapping/chasing the threads in a blind hole.

Bill.
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

x98myers7
    i'd be concerned with getting enough threads cut to provide sufficient strength. it may be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Why? Just use a bottom tap the same as you would tapping/chasing the threads in a blind hole.

Bill.
    What he said.