Thread: Finding reloading componets in the midwest

Stewy

Finding reloading componets in the midwest

I have been to multiple stores in the last month trying to find 168 grain BTHP bullets for a .308 and priemers in southeast Wisconsin. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, and a few local shops haven't had anything stocked. I have talked to a number of employees at each location and they all seem to claim they haven't been stocking or even trying to restock these componets. Seems everyone I have been talking to at the stores are uncomfortable even talking about the reloading/ammo topic.

How are you guys getting the supplies you need?

Basic Member
    powder valley has some 155's in stock but shipping is running way behind that is if you are willing to go with the 155 grain bullet MK and CC

thirdgenerationshootingsupply also has a few 155's CC but in the 1000 count but shipping is not as delayed as powder valley
    Last edited by earl39; 05-05-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

TC260
    Employees may seem uncomfortable because they're probably just burned out about talking about it. They've been getting the exact same question 8hrs a day for the last 6 months. If nobody local has anything, I'd say just watch the online stores and when something pops up available, order and be patient till it arrives in a month or two. Until things settle down that seems to be about the only way to go.

n4ue
    Hi. I feel your pain. Here in Fl, it's the same situation, although it's getting better. My local gun store, has had a good supply of components, since the owner is a shooter/reloader and told me he wasn't gonna jack up the prices because he KNOWS his regular customers will remember this price gouging, when the 'shortage' ends. The only thing he is having trouble getting is 22LR.
    I was at a Gander Mtn in Georgia a week or so ago and they had mountains of ammo but no 22LR. I had never seen so much 17 HMR. This store doesn't sell components.
    The suggestion about ordering online is good and that's what I do. Sometimes you have to really (!!) search for the component. Bruno's has been very good as well as Midway. Just have to catch them at the right time. Using the 'wish list' really, really helps.... But ya gotta be fast!

ron

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by TC260 View Post
    Employees may seem uncomfortable because they're probably just burned out about talking about it. They've been getting the exact same question 8hrs a day for the last 6 months. If nobody local has anything, I'd say just watch the online stores and when something pops up available, order and be patient till it arrives in a month or two. Until things settle down that seems to be about the only way to go.
    What he said...
    I watch 5 different suppliers online. I check them as often as I can throughout the day & grab what I can, when I can.
    Lately, .308 bullets are like hens teeth.
    Midway had 155 Nosler Custom Comps for sale Friday if you're interested....
    Good luck.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Dr Honda
    All the on-line... and chain stores are useless. The main reason why, is that they have to be fed by a main warehouse. (not fromt he local distributor)

Just visit all the local small shops. They are the ones who will get the stuff in. Also... don't get too picky with what you get. if you can't get 168gn bullets... but they have 130gn on the shelf... get them. Also... powder is the same way. If you use H414 all the time... but someone has RL15... try it.

Shortages are good in a way. It forces you out of the norm... and makes you try new things.
    Last edited by Dr Honda; 05-05-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Basic Member
    Interesting,
    You say No 22 LR.
    I find 243, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 mag, and as you say a lot of 17 hmr.
    NO 22 LR ?
    What is up with no 22 LR ?
    Do they change the tooling around and make only 17 hmr, and just recently retool back to 22 LR ?
    I do not think people hording is the only reason there is no 22 LR around, manufacturing has to have a little something to do with it.
    Reloading componets are sloooowly trickling back in.
    Good luck
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Predator53
    Yes they are trickling in finally....I got powder and primers in the same gun shop....today...

Basic Member
    same problem here. i've checked all the local small shops and my local sportsmans and I have only seen 3lbs of powder over the last 3 months. and all 3 were longshot just this last trip. I havent even been able to shoot two of my new barrels as I don't have appropriate powders to burn in them. not going to waste money flinging the wrong lead with the wrong powder as these are my "precision" long range barrels. not plinkers. so frustrated with it I may even sell one of the barrels and step down to a different caliber that I can find componets for.

maxl
    Was at the cabelas store in Sidney Ne today they had quite a few things like win 308 brass even some 223 a little powder and the shelf was full of bullets, but no .22lr while waiting to grab some powder a gentleman walked up and asked if they had any 22's the answer was no and his reply was what the problem is he said I have 32,000 rounds but I was just checking,if you had them I would buy somemore. I thought WHAT the hell,and your looking for more REALLY I couldn't shoot that many in 2 lifetimes

n4ue
    An 'end' to the 22LR drought??

I was at a very LGS the other day and they had finally started getting 22LR. Not wanting to be greedy, I bought 3 boxes of 50. Yesterday, I was at my favorite GS and he had received a shipment of 22LR. Sold me the 'brick' I have had on his 'list' since Feb. He said that is starting to come in good enough that he's going to do away with the list. Cheap, too!!!!!

Also + news, lots of brass and bullets. Loads of 45 ACP and 223. I've enough components for these to last several lifetimes. NOT from hording, just bought in bulk, years ago....
    the bad news? NO powder....Oh well, one step at a time!

ron

Team Savage
    I found a couple boxes of 180 grain Hornady hpbt's recently at my local store - and brought them home. I've also ordered and received a box of Hornady 168 grain hpbt's from MidwayUSA. i Had to buy primers on an online auction, but I bought 1000 of them. Now I'm just searching for powder.

Edit - I found my powder today at Graf's.
    Last edited by 390fe; 06-07-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: new info

okie2

Shortages and price gouging

I'm in tulsa oklahoma the only store we have is Dong's sporting goods.
    plus being short of a lot of things my grandson had to pay $48.00 for 1 pound of H4350
    which has always been $22.00.
    I have 31 rifles and plenty of loaded ammo so I am not buying anything right now.
    I can out wait them.
    As for Midway Larry owns more stores all over Europe why does he not import things we need here?
    OBUMA can't buy out the whole world.
    where is the imports?