Thread: Newbie shooter with question

jsand70

Newbie shooter with question

Hey everyone, I'm somewhat new to the shooting sports and have been shooting pistol and shotgun (clays) for a few years. I recently got interested in bolt action rifles and purchased a model 11 long range hunter in 300wsm. I'm going through the breakin process per the instructions on Savage's website and once I started shooting 5 round groups the accuracy really came together. The first 5 round group was 1.25" with all of them in the 9 and 10 ring, I couldn't believe my eyes and thought it had to be a fluke. The second group had one flyer which I'm sure was my fault but the other 4 shots measured .845 but the group was high and left. I didn't change anything and can't figure out why the second group was not in the 9 or 10 ring, any ideas? I have pictures but according my "posting privileges" I'm not allowed to post attachments.

John

stangfish
    Are you using photobucket to post pics? send em to me and Ill post em

thomae
    The best thing to do is to read this:
    out.http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...man-can-do-it!

If you still have questions after posting, please ask and one of the moderators or a smart member (like stangfish) can help you with your technique.

jsand70
    Here are the pictures:

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    If you still have questions after posting, please ask and one of the moderators or a smart member (like stangfish) can help you with your technique.
    I think I just got smacked!!

My first question is what is the distance? #2 Is this offhand?

The vertical stringing may be you barrel heating up or velocity. If you at 200 I almost certain it is velocity. It could be a few other things in your shooting. I am going to wait to here from the other "smart members".

jsand70
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I think I just got smacked!!

My first question is what is the distance? #2 Is this offhand?

The vertical stringing may be you barrel heating up or velocity. If you at 200 I almost certain it is velocity. It could be a few other things in your shooting. I am going to wait to here from the other "smart members".
    This distance is 100 yards and I'm shooting strong hand (bench rest with front bag). Keep in mind this is my first attempt at shooting a bolt action rifle and I'm thinking it has to be something in my mechanics. I haven't adjusted the trigger from the factory setting so I may try to lighten it up and see what happens.

Basic Member
    Tell us about the ammunition. Factory or reloads. If factory, is it all the same manufacturer and same lot number? Details?
    JimF -- a pilgrim still <*{{{><
    "Preserve Game -- Use a Trained Dog"
    Waterproof, Louisiana

jsand70
    I think we just found the problem...it is factory ammo and I thought both boxes were 180 grain but upon further inspection one box is 150 grain, both are Winchester Super X. I know I started the break in process with the 180 grain but can not recall at what point I switched to the 150

Oh well, at least I know the rifle is capable of grouping well and now I have a good excuse to shoot more!

palerider338
    Try using a rear bag next time as well. Once you get the hang of it you will tighten those groups up considerably.

Savage tests that rifle with 150 gr pills BTW.