Thread: ar15 handguard on bolt action

Basic Member

ar15 handguard on bolt action

I know this might sound crazy but most people would agree that the plastic stocks are flimsy and i got to thinking ... ar15 free floated hand guards are not flimsy. how would you go about attaching an ar15 free floated hand guard to a savage. here is how it would look https://www.volquartsen.com/products...ake-down-rifle

the purpose is not to attach stuff to my gun but to make it more ridged when on a bi-pod and maybe lighter if i used a carbon fiber hand-guard

JCalhoun
    The flex point is the recoil lug pocket. Nothing can be done about it.

You'd be much better off and way ahead of the game by just scrapping the factory synthetic stock and replacing it with a quality aftermarket one. Bubba-izing the factory stock usually just results in ruining it and whatever part it is that you're trying to make work with it. If you really want an AR-15 FF forearm tube then do it right and spend the money to get a aluminum tube-gun chassis that's specifically designed from the start to use one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

palerider338
    Might want to check this out. http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html

brasse
    I built two AR15 uppers using an aluminum barrel nut and carbon fiber tubes. Very light and very strong.

You might have to use a round recoil lug, but the concept could look pretty cool and be useful.

I am still looking for a low cost bolt action that uses AR15 barrels. Something like a poor mans Tubbs 2000.

Basic Member
    would an ar15 free float barrel nut work on a savage barrel?

brasse
    AR15 is 1.25" with 18 TPI
    Savage is 1.055" with 20 TPI

Wouldn't cost much to thread some aluminum with a 1.055" with 20 TPI center and the OD the same as the inner Diameter of the AR15 carbon fiber or aluminum tubes. AR15 tubes come in MANY different OD sizes

Why? Dear God...why?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Why does nobody think of putting Savage parts on an AR-15?????
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

JCalhoun
    They don't cost enough Fred!