Thread: Setting up Hornady Seating Die .17 Cal Hornet

JLShipley

Setting up new hornady .17 hornet

Just received my Hornady .17 Hornet Die Set, any thing different setting up Seating Die, RCBS dies I usually go down tell die stops at shell holder, back out one turn, but with the Hornady, it appears that won't work. I thnk I've figured it out, but thought some words of wisdom, would be in order.
    Jim
    Last edited by JLShipley; 05-03-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Dr Honda
    For the SEATING die?? You never run the seating die to the shell holder. The Hornady die has a roll crimp built into it. So... it contacts the mouth to make the crimp. If you dont' want to crimp the case... put a shell in the press, and run it up. Then... run the die in, until it touches the shell (brass)... and back it off a little.

IF... you want to crimp then:

1) make sure all your brass is the same length
    2) Seat a bullet to the proper depth
    3) Back out the bullet pusher, and then start to adjust the die down, until you get the crimp you want.
    4) Once the crimp is set, then turn the seater in until it contacts the bullet.

With that said... I find that most small brass is too soft, and if you try to use a roll crimp, it will crush the shoulder. But it works great on straight wall pistol brass.

JLShipley

Reloaded 1ST of my 17 Hornet Brass

Just finished reloading my first batch of .17 Hornet once fired Brass.
    Will go to the range when I get rifle back from Savage, will post findings.
    Any one else having Oversize neck issues? Bullet you can push into case, or they just fall into case?
    Jim
    Last edited by JLShipley; 05-19-2013 at 08:33 PM.

JLShipley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    For the SEATING die?? You never run the seating die to the shell holder. The Hornady die has a roll crimp built into it. So... it contacts the mouth to make the crimp. If you dont' want to crimp the case... put a shell in the press, and run it up. Then... run the die in, until it touches the shell (brass)... and back it off a little.

IF... you want to crimp then:

1) make sure all your brass is the same length
    2) Seat a bullet to the proper depth
    3) Back out the bullet pusher, and then start to adjust the die down, until you get the crimp you want.
    4) Once the crimp is set, then turn the seater in until it contacts the bullet.

With that said... I find that most small brass is too soft, and if you try to use a roll crimp, it will crush the shoulder. But it works great on straight wall pistol brass.
    Thanks for all the information.....I found out the hard way, about setting the Crimp, trun Die down to much and collaspe the shoulder on some brass..and it really isn't that hard to do.
    Last edited by JLShipley; 05-02-2013 at 08:16 PM.

davemuzz
    Just put a call into Hornady. I just bot my .17 Hornet. I have the brass, bullets and powder.....but haven't loaded anything yet.

JLShipley
    Midway has 2 set dies in stock, both Hornady and RCBS .17 Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Just put a call into Hornady. I just bot my .17 Hornet. I have the brass, bullets and powder.....but haven't loaded anything yet.

JLShipley
    I learned, reloading my 1ST .17 Hornet, appears you might have minor depression in case bottoms that come from the factory , and when you prim and clean cases and run them through the sizing die and prime, there still might be slight depression. Doesn't appear to effect firing of completed reload
    Last edited by JLShipley; 05-17-2013 at 06:22 PM.