Thread: 11VT "Dick's Special" can shoot.

762X51

11VT "Dick's Special" can shoot.

A few weeks back I bought a Model 11VT from Dick's. It is sort of balky in the feeding department and about 60% of the time won't feed the last round from the magazine BUT it can sure shoot!!! If Savage can ever figure out how to make their rifles actually work (They've had 50 years to perfect it so I'm not holding out much hope) then the combination of accuracy AND function will be tough to beat. In the meantime I'm trying to decide if I want to keep an incredibly accurate rifle that works some of the time. 5 shots into .300" at 100 yards with 63 grain Sierra 1370.

Last edited by 762X51; 05-01-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

1ShotKing
    When I seen the title of your thread I actually thought you were going to post something positive for a change. You get a bad apple and you think the whole bunch is spoiled. Anyway glad to see it shoots.

1ShotKing

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    When I seen the title of your thread I actually thought you were going to post something positive for a change. You get a bad apple and you think the whole bunch is spoiled. Anyway glad to see it shoots.

1ShotKing
    I did report something positive...the gun is accurate. I've also reported the TRUTH...the gun doesn't function as it should. Apparently the truth offends you so you should avoid my posts in the future if you don't want to hear the truth regarding my actual experience with Savage rifles. The truth of the matter is that this rifle is incredibly accurate yet malfunctions about half the time. Three of the six Savage rifles I've owned have malfunctioned in some way (feeding or ejection). That's more than ONE bad apple. I'm thrilled that your many Savages are completely functional. In a nutshell most Savage rifles are accurate but there is a higher than normal rate of malfunctions. I think you are taking my bad experiences with Savage rifles too personally. I am far from the only one to experience problems with the rifles... https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=...w=1280&bih=669

Glad your rifle shoots. 1/2" or smaller at 100yds is what I have come to expect with Savage once that barrels chosen load is found.

I cannot say I have experienced a great deal of issues in the feeding ejecting department as you seem to have. Yes Savage has had a long time to figure it out, but so has Remington.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...3&pf=p&pdl=300

Not try to be maliceous or entice a brawl, just saying that all the big names have their own short comings. Again, glad to see another Savage that shoots a nice ragged one hole group.

And in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 05-01-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

1ShotKing
    Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    I did report something positive...the gun is accurate. I've also reported the TRUTH...the gun doesn't function as it should. Apparently the truth offends you so you should avoid my posts in the future if you don't want to hear the truth regarding my actual experience with Savage rifles. The truth of the matter is that this rifle is incredibly accurate yet malfunctions about half the time. Three of the six Savage rifles I've owned have malfunctioned in some way (feeding or ejection). That's more than ONE bad apple. I'm thrilled that your many Savages are completely functional. In a nutshell most Savage rifles are accurate but there is a higher than normal rate of malfunctions. I think you are taking my bad experiences with Savage rifles too personally. I am far from the only one to experience problems with the rifles... https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=...w=1280&bih=669
    No I am not taking your experiences personally, not one bit. I work in the industry and have sold dozens, yes dozens of rifles that use the new plastic type centerfeed magazines. I can honestly say I haven't heard one complaint to date about rifles not feeding or ejecting cartridges. I have two Savage rifles, and both of them function correctly. It just strikes me as odd that 3/6 rifles give you trouble, truly not what I have experienced. Most every thread I have seen you post in you seem to have to get your word across that your rifle doesn't function correctly. Have you tried contacting Savage to get the issue resolved? It just gets a little old reading the same post reworded over and over. Enjoy the rifle.

palerider338
    FWIW Had a similar problem with my Mini-30s not feeding properly. With Pro-mag mags it was too much spring in the mags....cut a coil and a bit and they fed fine. With the factory ones it came with, it was not enough spring pressure to feed properly.....stretched the spring and they worked fine. Just have to tinker with them sometimes. Also check the feed lips for contact on the cartridges....might have to adjust them a little.

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    It just gets a little old reading the same post reworded over and over.
    That's why I suggested you skip my posts in the future.

ellobo
    Well, I have a few gripes about Savages but asking qustions here has solved most of them. that aside, they are problems that never should have left the factory. It seems that it is the same stuff over and over again. After all this time you would think that Savage management would have done something about it Feed issues and hard bolt lift seems to crop up all the time. And there are fixes. In spite of that I still like my Savages. But it is also why I have a love of Mausers. The American 03 Springfield is recognized as the best and most accurate military rifle ever, but in actuality is just an American Mauser.

El Lobo