Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 Hornady Hornet brass???

mcho

17 Hornady Hornet brass???

I have some brass from factory loads that have shallow primer pockets. They are so shallow that you can not seat a new primer without reaming the pockets about .02. Has any one else had this problem with factory ammo brass?? Mark

Orange_Crush
    I do find the .17 Hornet case to be a little difficult in seating the primers. I had in fact given up trying to use a primer pocket uniformer tool on the cases because I couldn't get a good enough grip on the case. But I just found a tool that should hold the little .17 case nicely while using the primer pocket uniformer.

mcho
    More info please. Thank you. Mark

Orange_Crush
    I found a tool at 21st century shooting that they call a neck turning handle, but it leaves the primer area exposed, so I ordered one to try. They also have a flash hole deburring tool just for .17 Calibers.

davemuzz
    I just de-capped and re-primed about 15 Hornady factory loads that I shot a few weeks ago. I had no problems resizing the brass (Hornady dies) and no issues seating new primers (Winchester SR primers). I even took my micrometer to the old primers and compared 'em to the new ones. I did this as I read this post before I did the brass prep.

Just curious if you guys had measured the depth of the factory primers you had de-capped?

mcho
    Hi Dave.

The primers that I removed were about .117 to .112. New primers were about .124. Most Horndy brass were about .10 to .11. Most other brass ( to include Lapua ) measure about .125 to .130.

Resizing was not a problem. Seating the new primers deep enough is where the problem is.

I contacted Hornady and was told that they had heard something about the problem but did not offer to do anything to compensate me for the issue.

I have about 200 of the shallow primer pocket brass and am not very happy.

After all is said and done I still love the 17 Hornet, it shoots great.

Mark

davemuzz
    Mark, I'm using Winchester SR primers. What brand of primers are you using?

mcho
    Dave, I have used CCI, Rem and Fed.

I have some Hornady brass that is just fine but more that is not.

JLShipley
    I had the same issue with my once fired Brass (have not obtained any new brass as of yet), I figure out a way to use my small pocket uniformer and the new primer seated alright, no problems at the range, a friend used in his rifle, all fired.
    CCI Small Rifle
    H110 power 8.5 gr
    20 V-max

davemuzz
    BTW.....Just curious, but are you guys having this problem with just new Hornady Brass? You know....not once fired factory ammo? I would think it has to be just new Hornady brass as if it has been loaded once.....how could the primer pockets be too shallow if they have already had primers in 'em??

mcho
    Dave, I don't know how the heck they do it. I only have once fired Hornady brass. I have three lot #'s and they are not all bad. I will check to see if I have a lot # on some of the bad brass ammo. I feel that Hornady should at least offer to send some new brass to replace the bad lot #s. Mark

davemuzz
    MCHO, I agree. In fact....I feel that I buy so much Hornady products that I would just pack up the bad brass, send it along with a letter to Hornady and just ask them to fix it for me please. I don't spend my hard earned money on brass so that I have to complete their work for them.

mcho
    That is a good idea Dave. I think I will give them a call first and see what they have to say. Hornady has always impressed me as a stand up outfit. They are only about 150MI. from me and I go right past them when I go shoot PDs. We will see what happens. Mark

Orange_Crush
    To Mcho, so what did Hornady say when you called them? I finally determined that all of my Hornady brass suffers from the shallow primer pockets.

mcho
    I sent them another E-Mail but have not got a reply yet. I have been out of town for the last week and now I need to catch-up on things around here but if I do not get a reply soon I will try to call them.

Mark

Basic Member
    For those interested I received notification that MidwayUSA has more Hornady 17H cases as of today.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

mcho
    The last I heard was that the new run would be in Aug. Mark

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcho View Post
    The last I heard was that the new run would be in Aug. Mark
    I am NOT talking 17 WSM RF. 17 Hornady Hornet. I did say Hornady 17H cases.

mcho
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    I am NOT talking 17 WSM RF. 17 Hornady Hornet. I did say Hornady 17H cases.
    What is the difference between 17 Hornady Hornet and the Hornady 17H? I guess I thought that they were both 17HH. Mark

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcho View Post
    What is the difference between 17 Hornady Hornet and the Hornady 17H? I guess I thought that they were both 17HH. Mark
    Nothing. I found it odd that some members here refer to it as the 17 Hornady Hornet. No other forum that I belong to does that. I am not saying that no other forum does, I am just saying I haven't heard it until I was here. I don't get it cornfused with the 17 Ackley Hornet so I don't worry about making such a distinction especially since Hornady doesn't either.

I was just replying to the tread stating the brass was available again.

JLShipley
    For those interested I received notification that MidwayUSA has more Hornady 17H cases as of today.
    I know they have .17 Hornet ammo, or are you saying Reload Brass? I order 100 rounds, it will be interesting if the Primers are Stacked....Will let you know.
    JS

Basic Member
    Yes I meant virgin reloading brass cases but never mind they are out of stock again.

leo158
    Yes I meant virgin reloading brass cases but never mind they are out of stock again.
    You think hoarders or profiters buying all that up so fast? Did they sale that many 17 hh rifles that the ammo and brass goes that fast. I doubt it. I bought a case of 17 hh ammo. Sent gun to ruger,ruger after 6 weeks looked at it,said nothing wrong and their tech department called hornady and they ruger told me that hornady told them it was an issue with their ammo. My primers was backing out after shot. This is new factory ammo. My lot number is 3120784

JLShipley

When did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by leo158 View Post
    You think hoarders or profiters buying all that up so fast? Did they sale that many 17 hh rifles that the ammo and brass goes that fast. I doubt it. I bought a case of 17 hh ammo. Sent gun to ruger,ruger after 6 weeks looked at it,said nothing wrong and their tech department called hornady and they ruger told me that hornady told them it was an issue with their ammo. My primers was backing out after shot. This is new factory ammo. My lot number is 3120784
    When did you buy your case?, prior to 6-1, if so you might of got ahold of old stock, new production, primers are being stacked.....per Hornady, until case problem is resolved. New Cases should be ready in August. That at least what I have been told.
    Jim
    Last edited by JLShipley; 07-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.

JTank70
    Hi there I am Jason And am new here.

I Would like to know what some of you experienced reloaders think about reloading this 17 Hornet brass?

I have been buying 17 hornet ammo as I go and picking up some reloading supplies and equipment as I go as well with intentions of reloading the brass this fall once I get the gear and 4 or 5 hundred empty cases.

I have bought 300 rounds in 100 round batches. The first 100 were not staked primers and the last 200 rounds I have bought in the last month or so do have the staked primers.

In the 1st 100 round batch I had 2 rounds leak gas and one round blew the primer right out and the ejector and plunger off the bolt of my Savage 25 Walking Varminter.
    It was having feed and ejection issues anyway so I sent it home to Savage and they fixed it good. Nice rifle now..... anyways back to the ammo.....

So I have 300 rounds. 200 staked and 100 not.
    originally when I called hornady (I emailed but no reply after a few days), the tech guy told me that it will be fine to reload these cases and he was confident that this was a rare occurance.
    Then I got a reply to my email:

"Jason,

You need to contact Savage and ask them what the barrel specifications are in the new barrel.
    Savage has been putting on subspec barrels which cause the high pressure damage that you experienced. If the barrel they put on has the tighter sub SAAMI specifications I would strongly recommend that you not shoot Superformance ammunition or any ammunition similar to it. If the barrel is SAAMI spec. then you will be fine to shoot the Superformance ammo which does comply with SAAMI specifications.

Thank You,"

That seemed weird so I called again and got a nice man in customer service.
    He explained a little about 'tapered primer pockets" and said that he recommends that I not reload the brass.
    He also appologized that they were told to tell people that the brass would not be replaced by Hornady because the ammo was under warranty by them but not the brass once it is fired.

What your take on this?
    And, what do you think about reloading this brass?

Thanks

Jason

BTW..... I only chrony'd one round of the "original ammo" on someones chrony at the range. It was 3610fps.
    I took my chrony with me last weekend to the range and the staked primer new ammo was averaging 3560fps in 15 shots chrony'd (some higher some lower).
    Did they also "lighten the load" so to speak?

Thanks again
    Last edited by JTank70; 07-13-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast