Thread: Accutrigger adjustment

Basic Member

Accutrigger adjustment

Is there a stickie/tutorial on adjusting an accutrigger on this site?

No need, the process is well covered in the owners manual (can be downloaded from Savage's website if you didn't get one) and it's pretty straight forward. If the AccuTrigger trips when you work the bolt hard/fast then it's set too low.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

yep..what furious said.
    turning the adjustment screw clockwise increases pull,counter decreases

surfcitydude
    Am I the only one that thinks it sucks that the Accutrigger should work at all setting as advertised. I have a new 12VLP and with the trigger set from the factory, the accutrigger safety engages if the bolt is closed normally, not babied. I called Savage and the girl told me to increase the trigger pull setting. That sucks! I like a light trigger and it should work at any available setting. I Googles this issue and everyone has the same issues and the same solution, increase trigger pull tension. I love my new rifle, 3 shots to sight in the scope and shot 3 shot groups that were covered by a nickel, using factory ammo. Now I need to spend $110 for a new Tminey adjustable trigger?

Nandy
    Surfcitydude, Accutrigger is supposed to work between 1.5 and 6 pounds. Does yours dont work properly in that range?

surfcitydude
    Mine works but at the low end adjustment, if I close the bolt anyway but very soft, the accutrigger safety engages and the bolt must be recycled. If you google it, you'll see many owners with the same problem. Savage told me to increase the trigger pull tension, above 4 lbs. that is senseless.

bodywerks
    Dump it. I'm with you. As a target trigger the accutrigger is a joke. Get a sss comp trigger and don't look back.

Nandy
    have you measured what is the lowest you can get before it starts failing? Im interested in hearing about that as I am planing on buying a gun and if I can save $100 with no accutrigger and then get the sss that would be the way to go...

bodywerks
    Almost all savages now come with an accutrigger. Its not worth $100. I gave mine away.

surfcitydude
    I've adjusted mine to the highest setting and if you still slam the bolt closed hard, it's still jumps and engages the safety. The trigger is one thing, but the thing that gets me is savages approach to just ignore the fact that it has a 1 1/2 pound adjustment and adjusted to the high-end. That doesn't fix a thing. To me it's just a bad design And they are ignoring the problem.

I have 4 different accutriggers currently and several others in 3 screw and 4 screw types. My two accutrigger hunting rigs are set at 24oz (1.5lbs) and my two target rigs with the accutrigger are set at 14oz and 12oz. All of them work perfectly with normal bolt operation, but I will admit that if a really hammer on the 12oz one I can get it to lock but its for target only and is single loaded on the bench so no issues there. The other three have yet to lock or fail and as stated are set at or below the minimum pull rating. All of these are the standard "varmint" accutriggers with the advertised 1.5lb to 6lb rating and not the "target" models that advertise going below 1lb.

I have found that the accutriggers seem to leave the factory with an abundance of lube/anti-seize on the sear engagement surface, and I have removed the excess and left just a light coating of the lube. Seems to help make mine more consistant in feel.

This is just my experience, some people like them and some don't. For me they are a darn decent hunting trigger and a serviceable target trigger. If I were competing in say benchrest or F-class or something I would probably want something better, but for informal shoots, my own target work, and popping critters in the back 40 the accutrigger has served me well.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I ran into this for the first time yesterday.Fourteen different Savages twelve with the accu-trigger. Trigger was set right at 1.5lbs. and after 5 shots it started to lock up at 12 shots it would no longer function and of course I didn't have any tools with me to adjust it. So my range day was over.
    After I got home I took it apart and reset the trigger to 2 lbs. and all is well but this trigger should work at the 1.5 setting but being on here everyday I knew what the problem was so It is just something I will live with. Like the OP I feel things should work as stated but if this the only problem I have with this particular rifle I can deal with it.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

bodywerks
    Bootsmeguire is right. They do come with a bunch of lube on the sear and sear catch. That is a bad thing. And if you are handy with metal working, you can take a grinding stone to the sear catch to give it a flatter edge and it will help also.
    I still just assume get a sss trigger

Basic Member
    I own(ed) SSS, 3-screw savage, rifle basix Sav2, and 3 accutriggers. First of all what constitutes a good trigger is a very personal thing, and I must say I like the two-stage action of the accutrigger best of all; call me strange (wouldn't be the first time). I have most difficulty with the Sav2 which is clearly the lightest pull. While a sample size of 3 is not universal in scope I have not had a problem tuning the 3 accutriggers to function at low pull, and with very few problems. As others noted the grease is removed, the surfaces are lightly touched up with a stone, and I cut coils of both the sear and trigger springs in a manner to achieve light pull but sure engagement of the safety mechanism to avoid slam-fires (got one at the range with the Sav2, quite upsetting). I have also switched to the lighter accutrigger target spring on one, but no better than simply cutting coils; and others replace with ball point pen spring for the same effect. To me the accutrigger is easiest to adjust and suits my shooting style best. I can't say that there could not be a problem with some accutriggers, but I have been most satisfied with them.

can you pull the rear screw off the trig gaurd to gain access to the adjustment screw?.......curious.......
    I as Charlie from NC prefer the two stage feel. Ive realized that I prefer having mine at about 1.5-2.0.
    Im holding steady enuff to knock 6"x 8" steels out to 1K. I like to be able to disengage the accu blade and get a firm grip on the trig.

Basic Member
    I think if you want to try that, then all that's left to pull the action is taking off the front screw. If you haven't done that, then you need to just to clean off the grease if nothing else. Once set I have not needed to adjust any more.

Team Savage
    I personally like Accutrigger and the two-stage function. But I have never been able to get a standard Accutrigger to adjust down to 1.5# as claimed by Savage without running into the problem being described. The cheap fix is to order a Varmint Accutrigger spring from SSS. It can be safely adjusted down to around 1.5# and not trip when you close the bolt. You also need to check and make sure there is enough stock clearance just above the rear trigger guard screw tip and the rear of the Accutrigger, especially with a new aftermarket stock, a newly bedded stock, or if you are putting a lot of torque on the action bolts in a tupperware stock. If close or touching at all, it will contribute to the problem. Also, if you are not pulling straight back, or on the side of the Accutrigger at low settings, you will trip and lock the sear which is a safety feature of the Accutrigger. These are the 3 most common issues with the Accutrigger that I have self discovered and read about numerous times on this site over the years. My recommendation is to check out these inexpensive solutions before you shell out around $100 on an aftermarket trigger.

I have replaced the crappy non-Accutrigger now being used by Savage Arms in newer models (Axis/Hunter XP) with a SSS Competition trigger. It is a great trigger and mine will safely adjust down to around 18 oz verses arround 24 oz with my 4 Varmint spring Accutrigger actions. IMO, not enough differnce in function and feel to merit buying a new non-Accutrigger Savage knowing I will need to replace it with a $100 aftermarket trigger.
    Last edited by jpdown; 05-04-2013 at 03:08 PM.

18. 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Soliticing outside of classifieds

19. 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Soliticing outside of classifieds

I smell a troll
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain