Thread: Can I use military spec primers in my Savage 11?

Lothlingas

Can I use military spec primers in my Savage 11?

I have a new Savage 11 in .223 and have only been able to get my hands on ammo "designed" for the AR platform: American Eagle & Federal Fusion MSR. I contacted Federal and they tell me the primers used for these are the CCI #41 and Federal 205MAR. These primers apparently have a harder primer cup that works well in ARs, but they all tell me I shouldn't shoot it in my bolt action. Something about the firing pin may not strike hard enough and I may get some fail to fires. The ammo clearly says .223, so I am not concerned about the 5.56 pressure thing, I just want to know if this will be reliable ammo for me. I plan to use up the FMJ stuff for plinking, but the Fusion and grey tip V-Max stuff will be used for hunting. Should I keep it or try to trade it for something else?

65impala
    I've used them in several rifles including savage bolt action, H&R single shot and even a Ruger handgun and neverhad any issues with the firing pin being too weak to ignite. I wouldn't recommend them in a target action with weaker springs, but it would probably work just fine with a stock firing pin spring on your savage.

xdwin
    Did the American Eagle ammo work okay for you? I have a problem with it in my new Axis .223, shot 7 rounds and only 3 of them worked. Even the ones that worked had a really shallow hit on the primer and looked flat on the bottom. It looks more like a firing pin issue but I'm not sure, I have a request into Savage to see what they think.