Thread: Adding on to an existing accustock.

Basic Member

Exclamation Adding on to an existing accustock.

Well I am kicking around an idea.

I now have two accustock guns.

What about adding some poly resins of some sort onto the rifle stocks to build up a better pistol grip?

I was thinking I could use modeling clay or something similar and build the grip how I would like it and then use another material to build a form around the modeling clay then remove the outside form and remove clay. Then put screws into the existing stock and put the form on and pour the urethane into the mold let it set remove mold, do any blending needed.

then cover the normal grip areas in some kind of added grip material to help blend and more grip, then camo paint the stock. I would really like new stocks for both guns but the ergonomics of the Choate just leaves something else to be desired for me. I REALLY like the Whidden tactical stock but $650 a piece. I pretty much always shoot off a bipod, I have already built kydex comb risers for them, and I really dont use a butthook to pull the gun into me so its pretty much just the pistol grip.

I was thinking about this material for the grip http://vettec.com/adhere-180cc-black I have fixed a bunch of hooves with this and it is TOUGH and I think with the base material roughed up and the screws the Adhere will stay, its just the over material over that and making it look good. I think Micheals has non shrinking modeling putty/clay/goo and I bet I could use some other material for the outer form.

Soooooo what do yall think????

Neo2savage
    Nice thing about doing custom work on a factory stock, you can always buy an OEM replacement stock at a reasonable price if things don't work out. As for what anyone thinks, if nobody has ever tried their responses would be guess work and personal preference. You might consider shaping a suitable sized block of black Delrin instead of using a lay up material. Delrin can be machined to shape and is inexpensive.

Let us know how the project does. You may find others looking to improve their grips.

Bondo will do what you want. Put it on the grip area, put on rubber gloves, and hold as you would for shooting. This will give you a palm swell and finger groves. Work quickly before it hardens. My stock is standard wood 110. There was a thread on here about bondo work that look a lot better than mine. But, it worked until I tried a new Boyds tacticool.
    [URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/snowgetter1/media/DSCN6246_zpsb484d485.jpg.html][/URL

thomae
    Pistol shooters modify their grips all the time. Wood putty, plastic resins or bondo work well.
    Bondo can absorb water, so it will need to be sealed or painted.

Basic Member
    But the accu-stock (OP) only comes in plastic right ? I think he needs something that will stick to that, no ? I don't think bondo will stick to it. I could be wrong though.

Basic Member
    Yes it's abs plastic, that is why I have been thinking about a plastic resins or fiberglass since I can bolt and pin into the plastic stock .

Kimdo
    Both polyester (Bondo) and epoxy (ACRAGLAS®) will stick to sanded ABS plastic.
    Bolts and pins are not necessary.
    Kim