Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are so few target guns built on Savage Actions

pa_wdchuckhuntr

Re: Why are so few target guns built on Savage Actions

SSS= Sharp Shooter Supply
    NSS= Northlander Shooter Supply

Both are excellent vendors one this site.

82boy

Fellows, please keep the thread on topic. Insults and name calling is not welcome, please refrain and lets keep this thread on topic.

dj111

It all depends on what you want. I built my first gun on a target action, LW 243 barrel and Stockade stock, for around $1100. Started shooting 200-600 yard varmint shoots and got hooked. Then the next year added shooting a 300/600 yard league so rebuilt the rifle with everything I could do, 6BRX Burx barrel, EVO trigger t&t, firing pin bushed, bolt handle, bolt body, and it shot great!

But then next year is coming and I wanted more Sold this gun and 3 others to fund a Bat action gun. For what I had into the savage I was only 400 bucks more into the custom action bat. I wish I would have cut my loss on the savage before I started to mod it because I pretty much gave it away.

Patrick is right on the bolt lift, my bat bolt is slightly harder to lift then my mod savage was.

Accuracy for one shot point of impact hit between the custom and savage is a coin flip, but repeating under conditions may be the difference. If they were race cars they would both be in for a very close race if you were drag racing. But when you move to the road coarse it would be like racing a Corvette against a Honda, the corvette will just handle better.

If you are shooting bench rest the custom you can work the bolt fast, it is smooth, and you do not worry about dropping the sear with a hard bolt closing on a 2 oz trigger as you will with the savage. If you are shooting F-Class I think a savage would be all as accurate as a custom since you are doing one shot at a time. This is just my opinion, but if you are going to mod a savage, do yourself a favor and go custom from the start.

Dallas

dj111

Just for the record I do love Savages and plan on buying more! SSS does great work and the EVO trigger works well!

Making sure people didn't think I was a hater :)

Later,
    Dallas

hotbrass

What distiguishes a Savage "target action" from a Savage non-target action?

Thanks!

nhm16

Quote Originally Posted by hotbrass
    What distiguishes a Savage "target action" from a Savage non-target action?

Thanks!
    Savage target actions are (1) single shot, (2) take large shank barrels, and (3) come with the Target Accutrigger. The come in a variety of bolt and port configurations (right bolt/right port, right bolt/left port, right bolt/dual port, etc.). These types of actions are most appropriate for benchrest and f-class shooting, hence the focus on these shooting disciplines in this thread. Savage also makes varmint and sporter actions, which are repeaters.

300magman

I'm more of a hands on, visual learner at times...so reading all this info which should serve to inform me fully often leaves me with stupid questions that might seem obvious to others....so please bare with me for a moment.

Shank size - this must be the size of the portion of barrel that is threaded and screws into the action? With small shank being somewhere near 1.05 and large shank being closer to 1.15 (very roughly..just going by memory of another thread I read)

So this means if I see after market barrels blanks for sale with 1", 1.200" and 1.250" starting diameters then the 1" are too small to be used and I might as well get the 1.200 rather than the 1.250 because even the smaller of the two will still need to be finished down to the smaller size of the savage....is that somewhat correct?

On aftermarket actions...I see many advertised as Remington clones, or as having a remington footprint...I know they connect differently than a savage (too bad) but do they typically come in larger sizes to accept barrels that are manufactured at 1.250" ...otherwise what is the point of a manufacturer selling both 1.200 and 1.250 barrels? - magnum actions? (like lupua, cheytac etc?)

nhm16

Quote Originally Posted by 300magman
    I'm more of a hands on, visual learner at times...so reading all this info which should serve to inform me fully often leaves me with stupid questions that might seem obvious to others....so please bare with me for a moment.

Shank size - this must be the size of the portion of barrel that is threaded and screws into the action? With small shank being somewhere near 1.05 and large shank being closer to 1.15 (very roughly..just going by memory of another thread I read)

So this means if I see after market barrels blanks for sale with 1", 1.200" and 1.250" starting diameters then the 1" are too small to be used and I might as well get the 1.200 rather than the 1.250 because even the smaller of the two will still need to be finished down to the smaller size of the savage....is that somewhat correct?
    Correct. If you want to continue using the Savage barrel nut, you are limited by its internal diameter at its smallest and therefore the largest diameter barrel you can use is something like 1.12" or 1.125" (not sure, someone else feel free to clarify). The internal diameter of the barrel nut at its smallest is the same regardless of the size of the shank.

On aftermarket actions...I see many advertised as Remington clones, or as having a remington footprint...I know they connect differently than a savage (too bad) but do they typically come in larger sizes to accept barrels that are manufactured at 1.250" ...otherwise what is the point of a manufacturer selling both 1.200 and 1.250 barrels? - magnum actions? (like lupua, cheytac etc?)
    Yes. As stated above, the maximum barrel diameter is limited by the inside diameter of the barrel nut. I think Remington 700 pattern actions are 1.35" in diameter, and people make aftermarket actions for magnums, etc., of even larger diameter. I don't know if you could call those large diameter actions true "Remington clones" or having a "Remington footprint" since they will not drop into a 700 stock without a lot of inlet work (I'm not talking a nip and tuck here to get things to clear that you almost always have to do even for clone actions that are "drop in"). In either case, you can use barrels with a larger max diameter than 1.12-1.125".

some only accept the Rem aftermarket trigger. bolt head is more Sako then Rem.

Few guys here have gone nut-less here to get bigger barrels, but when you do that you have to go to a starting dia if the receiver for a proper look.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123