Thread: primer question

Basic Member

primer question

I use WSR primers exclusively for all my .223 loads. But seeing as I can't find any, I had the opportunity to pick up some CCI 400 small rifle primers. I passed on them, which was probably a mistake.
    Can anyone compare the two? Anything I should be concerned about pressure difference wise? (I'm loading to the max now with 80gr Bergers)
    I'm told the CCI is a harder primer, better for use in my AR, makes no difference in my bolt gun.
    Advice welcomed.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

stangfish
    I like the WSR primers, I have found that different powders can show a preference for primers. CCI makes a great product though, you probably should not have passed.
    Last edited by stangfish; 04-25-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Basic Member
    I probably use as many if not more CCIs than any other brand, mostly BR2s-4s. In fact I've found on the average they produce lower ES numbers and better accuracy with powders like Varget, RL-15, H4895 and etc.

Harder, dunno and I don't care. I busted thousands of them over the years without any problems.

Best I can offer.

Bill

I use CCI 400's in my 6 BR Norma, and they have been part of some great accuracy loads. Have not had any issues with them at all. I will say that I too had been told they are harder and require a harder firing pin strike.

I had a S&W 64 Stainless 38 Special that had been transformed into a target pistol. One of the "upgrades" the pistol was given was a lighter main spring that went with the SA/DA conversion from the factory DAO. This resulted in lighter hammer strikes. I loaded up some rounds using CCI Small Pistol Primers and 1 out of 3 wouldn't fire. I consulted the gent who sold me (and built) the gun about the issue, and he said to use Federal Small Pistol Primers as they were softer and required less of a strike to fire. Switched to Federal and that issue went away. Figured i'd share that for what it's worth.

I have used CCI, Wolf, and WSR in 223 for a 12FV and can't say that I saw any noticable changes in accuracy for that rifle. I was shooting a load that was on the lower accuracy node rather than close to max. Had I been close to a max charge it may have possibly caused some issues with over preasure but in my situation they all worked fine and shot well.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Natchez has CCI 450s in stock.

Dr Honda
    I've never been loyal to a primmer brand. I've used most of them... but I normally have CCI on hand, just because that's what I find local. I've also never had an issue CCI's... but then again... my guns aren't set up for pure target practice either. The only time I had had a miss-fire on a CCI, was not the fault of the primmer.

Last winter... I had 2 miss-fires on a 8mm Mauser rifle. The primer had a good strike, but to my ear, it didn't sound right. (this was a day, below freezing) After getting home, I looked at the bullets, and the gun, and I discovered that there was still some grease in the bolt... and that was keeping the firing pin from giving a hard strike. Once the bolt was cleaned... both bullets in question fired.

In my 20 years of reloading... that was the only 2 miss-fires I've had with CCI's.

For 223... I've been using CCI450's with H335 powder, and CCI400 with RL10x powder. Both work well. The 400's will work with the ball powders, but the general consensus is that ball powders ignite better with the magnum powders. BUT... with 55gn FMJ, and H335... the 400's gave better accuracy. (but lower velocity) Don't take that the wrong way... I'm not that good of a shot... so any accuracy difference could just come from me.

I use CCI large pistol mag primers exclusivity in my 44mag Desert Eagle loads.

OK... with all that said... Don't pass on any "Name Brand" primers when supplies get harder to find, if you need them. The nice thing about some of the reloading supplies drying up... it forces you to get out of your comfort zone (and normal supplies) and makes you look at new products, just because that's what's available. FYI... the RL 10x is a new powder for me, because H335 isn't easy to find right now.
    Last edited by Dr Honda; 04-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Basic Member
    I use both Win and CCI in my 223, and can't tell a difference using Varget and 69 SMK.

stangfish
    With reloading there are things that contribute to accuracy. A primer may be a component of that. With that being said, brass prep and consistency are a large part of the puzzle as well. Powder recipe and then primer. Your accurracy depends on all three. Now lets talk about shooting form and other external influences.