Thread: Savage Center feed magazine photos needed

brasse

Savage Center feed magazine photos needed

There is a great FAQ for the staggered feed blind magazines. Anyone have similar photo/photos of the blind center feed magazines? I just ordered from Midway a 308 blind magazine Savage Arms #: 100185. Unfortunately Midway doesn't list it as staggered or center feed. Going to test it out for both 6.5 Creedmoor and for 6.8 SPC II. Savage is no help they list it as MAGAZINE BOX SHORT, no photo no other description!

Here is a link to a page with a couple pics. The 2nd pic is shows the mag body, follower, and bottom cap for a DBM.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/FactoryParts.html
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

stangfish
    The design is vastly different if you look at the two. .

brasse
    My thought on the center feed blind is that it can be shimmed on the bottom of the stock, even glued. But when I look at the Mossberg and other bolt rifles they are using bolt head parts to grab on to the base of the brass. The staggered feed will always be slightly lower to the bottom center of the bolt head, while the center feed should have the best chance to reliably feed the bullet. Savage doesn't use the center feed on the 223, I am assuming because of the smaller brass base diameter. Since they have shifted all the others to center feed they must feel that gives better feeding. Just my 2 cents, I could be all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Savage doesn't use the center feed on the 223... Just my 2 cents, I could be all wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong! Savage's chambered in .204 Ruger/.223 Rem have been using centerfeed magazines since around the start of 2008. It was the last common magazine size to be offered as it presented the most headaches in terms of getting the design just right. Most people don't realize that a stacked magazine is by far the most difficult, expensive and time consuming part to design on any gun.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain