Thread: Boyd's Thumbhole Varmint Stock Black Dots - Are they Blemishes?

Boyd's Thumbhole Varmint Stock Black Dots - Are they Blemishes?

I just bought a new Pepper colored Thumbhole Varmint stock for my model 10.
    I'm switching from Sporter to Varmint barrel in .308.

The new stock has 4 black dots on it (two on each side). It makes the stock look really ugly like they're covering a mark or something.
    They are located on both sides near the receiver holes. They're in the wood, not stickers that peel off.
    Does anyone know if these stocks are seconds or are the black dots there for a reason?
    Does it have something to do with the laminating process?
    I've looked at the available photos of the other colors, some have the ugly black dots, some don't.
    I bought my Sporter thumbhole from them, and it doesn't have any of those black dots.
    The stock fits really nice on the Sporter, but I'm not happy with the black dots, so before I install it,
    I just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue and knows what's up.

I'll call them on Monday, but I just opened the box and it bugging me.

Basic Member
    What you are seeing are plugs. They cover the re-enforcement pins that are buried in the stock in the critical areas that sometimes crack under recoil. Savage factory walnut stocks have them also.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

sharpshooter- would you have any idea as to why the Boyd's have pins in their laminate stocks and the Stocky Stock laminates don't?

If the Stocky's have pins in them then they do a much better job of blending in the outside finish because you can't see any plug holes.

They look like the same stock for the most part.

I like the Boyd's laminate, but those black dots stand out like a giant bug splat in the middle of the windshield.

65impala
    If you look at most high quality rifles, especially in heavy recoil chamberings you'll see the "dots", they aren't blemishes, but rather extra work done to make your stock better. Like these:

It is really strange though that they put them on some stocks and not others. They should just offer it as an upgrade for people using them on hard hitting magnums.

I looked at other Savage Stocks that have black plugs like the Lady Hunter, so I'm feeling better.

It makes sense to have those spots reinforced.

They could have stained it gray at least so it wouldn't be so obvious.

While contemplating my dilemma, I came up with an idea.

I can deal with the forward black dot since it's kind off on an angle and my fingers will cover it.

The middle dot has to go. Every time I sight down the barrel, that thing will be staring at me like a mole on grandma's neck.

I'm going to inlay an Indian head on both sides over the dot similar to the Savage logo.

I found one that looks pretty close.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fenucho View Post
    I looked at other Savage Stocks that have black plugs like the Lady Hunter, so I'm feeling better.

It makes sense to have those spots reinforced.

They could have stained it gray at least so it wouldn't be so obvious.

While contemplating my dilemma, I came up with an idea.

I can deal with the forward black dot since it's kind off on an angle and my fingers will cover it.

The middle dot has to go. Every time I sight down the barrel, that thing will be staring at me like a mole on grandma's neck.

I'm going to inlay an Indian head on both sides over the dot similar to the Savage logo.

I found one that looks pretty close.

Did you get it finished? Pictures?

I couldn't bring myself to pay $100 for two of the medallions on the left, but
    I found two of the pieces on the right for $24. I just need to trim them up a little. They're about 3/4" x 3/4".

They should be here in a week and I'll put up the finished stock.
    It was harder to find them than I thought it would be. Thanks for being interested.

Well, it's 95% finished , but I wanted to show some progress.

It came out better than I expected. Where the front black dot is, I colored it with gray water paint to see how I'd like it.
    I'm heading over to the skateboard shop to pick up some gray grip tape to cut out a curved strip for the front dot.

I've nicknamed it the "Silver Shadow"