Thread: Ammo recommendations for a MK II 22lr on groundhogs past 100 yards.

Basic Member

Ammo recommendations for a MK II 22lr on groundhogs past 100 yards.

The Gun:I've got one of the typical Savage Mark II FV-SR's that you see all over the internet setting in a boyd's tacticool stock. My scope is a Vortex Crossfire 6-18x and aside from the cosmetic stuff the gun is just like any other MK II FV-SR. It's boringly accurate and incredibly fun to shoot. Last time with it out to the range I was hitting steel at 200 yards using federal bulk ammo. Normally I use wolf match ammo when I get serious but for just plinking around I dip into a seemingly never ending supply of federal bulk 22lr.

The Varmint:
    In my life I have had an evil villan who has plagued my happy little world and he is a groundhog. For whatever reason I have looked upon these little dirty bast*&^S as the bane of my existence and I intend to keep my property free of them. That's where my little MK II 22lr comes into play.

The Challenge:
    Any idiot could go back there with 223 or 308 and vaporize the little boogers with a single and easy shot. To be honest it doesn't really impress me to hit a groundhog with a big boy varmint rifle. In order to make it a challenge and in the spirit of giving the little shizzles a fighting chance I have decided to make this a 22lr only shoot. Here's where it gets interesting, the groundhog stays at least 100 yards out from the patio. I have distance markers out there out to 200 yards. I think if he gets within the 100 to 200 yards range he has entered a kill zone and will be dealt with accordingly.

The Question:
    So here's the rub, what ammo? I need to make a precise hit on a small/medium sized groundhog at over 100 yards with a 22lr. Do I run with subsonic match ammo that'll be more accurate but have less energy? Do I run with some high speed destroyer of flesh like the CCI Stinger that's more speed, and less accurate? Do I just say the heck with getting too detailed on the ammo and just keep running the federal bulk that shoots accurate enough and probably has enough energy, but will likely require some kind of a lucky shot?

I know I'm not the only guy in the world who's dealt with this issue, so instead of reinventing the wheel I thought I'd run it past a few forums. I'm curious what you all would do in this situatation. Thanks in advance.

thomae
    Groundhogs are not too terribly easy to kill with a .22, especially at that distance.
    I'd check the energy charts and see what energy the typical 40 grain pill is packing at that range. Might not be enough for a kill, or at least a clean kill. Assuming a 1200 FPS muzzle velocity, at 200 yards, a 40 grain bullet has in the neighborhood of 84 foot/pounds of energy

You should do some testing to make sure your rifle/ammo combination can actually hit a groundhog-sized target at that distance.

Perhaps you could make it a test of your skill to see if you can stalk within 50 yards.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Perhaps you could make it a test of your skill to see if you can stalk within 50 yards.

It probably would be, but in this case I really want to pick one off from a distance first. If I try to sneak up on one it'll be with my 10-22 because it's completely flat, open and exposed between the house and the groundhogs play area.

davemuzz
    Ted......I too am plagued with these critters. I do have the luxury of shooting 'em just outside the required safety zone.....but still....doing that create's some Ill will with my neighbors. However.....since hunting with a suppressor is legal in my State, last fall I solved my "little problem."

So....now I use sub-sonic ammo and get 'em. But my shots are within 100 yards. In your case....since the shots are 100 yards or better, I would got with the fastest ammo I could find. And secondly, I would go with head shots. Now, this will make your task a bit more challenging, but if it were easy.....everyone would do it!!!

MHO

Dave

shaman
    The fastest ammo that you can be accurate at that range with

Basic Member
    Recommendations for groundhogs with a Savage at 200yards is a 223.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    Not quite true. The new .17 Hornet is plenty of bullet to give a clean one-shot kill on a full size groundhog at 200 yards. Plus, these little 20 or 25gr bullets will fragment upon impact not only with the intended target, but with just about anything they hit. Trees, rocks, dirt. A big plus when shooting in a place where ricochets are a concern.

Basic Member
    I've got a 10FP-SR in 223 that I shot the best group of my life with, but there's quite a difference between a high powered rifle being fired and a little 22lr especially using sub sonic match ammo.

The only bad part is that ever since I originally wrote this I haven't had another chance at relieving that groundhog of his blood pressure problems. On another forum somebody recommended that I get some CCI Velocitors and try them out since they're they fastest full weight (40gr) 22lr ammo out there. If/when 22lr ammo becomes available again where I could actually just some of whatever I wanted I will try them and see what happens. Right now I'm just waiting for ammo availability to come back.

Doug76
    I would use, as I do for most hunting with my .22, CCI's Velocitor. A 40g hollow point (large hollow) traveling some 200fps faster than normal .22lr rounds, still has a bit more than 100ft/lbs energy at 100yds, and much more accurate than Stingers, and about as accurate as any other round I've ever used with success.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=2&loadNo=0047

heavydeeberz
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug76 View Post
    I would use, as I do for most hunting with my .22, CCI's Velocitor. A 40g hollow point (large hollow) traveling some 200fps faster than normal .22lr rounds, still has a bit more than 100ft/lbs energy at 100yds, and much more accurate than Stingers, and about as accurate as any other round I've ever used with success.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=2&loadNo=0047
    people that live on the reservations have been known to kill dear with a .22 lr so ground hogs np im my opinion. mini mags are good but the faster the better. Sounds like you got some good practice in. i gots the same set up as you right down to the exact scope. pennies " 100 yrds . awesome. mini mags are my fav but rem target seemed pretty **** accurate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    However.....since hunting with a suppressor is legal in my State, last fall I solved my "little problem."

MHO

Dave
    I was unaware "we" could legally use a suppressor.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    I can hit them lethally at that range with my 93R17 but I prefer my M40 out to that range and when beyond I prefer my .204

Basic Member
    For what it is worth. I would try the Stingers & Velocitors. Every now and then I get a 22 that shoots Stingers well. One of my Henrys shoots Quiet 22 deadly accurately. I am wanting to try the Quiet 22 segmented HP's too. If you can get the Stingers to hold a sub 2" group at 200yds or the Velocitors or the hyper velocity segmented HPs you will have the tools of your trade.

Also, I can totally relate because for me and my house this war is a war against red squirrels.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    I was unaware "we" could legally use a suppressor.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf...OMPILATION.pdf

Yes. It's in the Pa. hunting regs. But here's a summary of what States you can use a "Can" in for hunting purposes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf...OMPILATION.pdf

Yes. It's in the Pa. hunting regs. But here's a summary of what States you can use a "Can" in for hunting purposes.
    I didn't know that it was in the regs, but honestly I never looked for it. Hmmm can't legally use an air rifle but can use a suppressor. Only in the Commonwealth I swear.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    I didn't know that it was in the regs, but honestly I never looked for it. Hmmm can't legally use an air rifle but can use a suppressor. Only in the Commonwealth I swear.

Yeah...I know...and if you like that one....you'll love this one....In what's know as "Special Reg's areas" (Primarily near Philly and Pittsburgh) you can hunt deer in rifle season or flintlock season using a flintlock long rifle, but not a flintlock 50 caliber pistol. But....everywhere else in the State you can hunt deer using a flintlock 50 caliber pistol in rifle, or flintlock season. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Basic Member
    Nope not one but Dave.

I finally sold all 3 of my Gamo air rifles this year. I had bought 2 nice ones years ago for pest control around the house. When I got back in to hunting a few years ago I was again filled with chagrin that PA hadn't come off that law about air rifles. Last Fall I bought a Gamo Bone collector Bull Whisper from Dick's SG because I had a crap ton of rewards points. I had planned on hunting NY because you can hunt red squirrels year round (they are the bane of my existence) and a few years ago NY changd their air rifle laws. Now over there you can use anything 600fps or better. Hello PA, wake up. I know not everyone who hunts is in to air rifle hunting, just like not everyone is in to hand gun hunting, or black powder, archery etc.

Long story short I had some issues with the newest rifle, which had nothing to do with quality or accuracy so I finally returned it for my money back and out of frustration I sold the other 2. Life goes on. That money & some other cash went towards a Remington 1100 LT20 that is arriving at my favorite gun shop on Tuesday.

thomae
    Hijack alarm!

Basic Member
    The cci velocitors get my vote! They are the fastest shooting 22lr I have used and they knock on the squirrels real well. I'm shooting them out of my 10/22.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    The cci velocitors get my vote! They are the fastest shooting 22lr I have used and they knock on the squirrels real well. I'm shooting them out of my 10/22.
    I personally have never used them but they do get a lot of favor in the web forum world. They certainly are not the fastest 22lr I have used though.

Basic Member
    I use Eley Target out to 400 yards when shooting steel. I've never hunted with it though.

Basic Member
    I seriously doubt a 22LR will kill a ground hog at 200yds. At least not the same day, unless it's a solid head shot, and that is a near impossibility to achieve. I understand the OP's quest, but if it has to be a rimfire step up to the WMR. Much better for the given task, with 30gr bullets up to 2200+ and 40gr at 2000-2100, better bullets etc.

Of course with todays ammo issues, getting ANY 22LR might be a a challenge.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I seriously doubt a 22LR will kill a ground hog at 200yds. At least not the same day, unless it's a solid head shot, and that is a near impossibility to achieve. I understand the OP's quest, but if it has to be a rimfire step up to the WMR. Much better for the given task, with 30gr bullets up to 2200+ and 40gr at 2000-2100, better bullets etc.

Of course with todays ammo issues, getting ANY 22LR might be a a challenge.
    I know I have had no issue out to just under 200yd with a HMR dispatching chucks. I have not seen any 22mags pushing 2100fps with 40gr.
    Last edited by plinkin; 06-11-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Basic Member
    22Mags are great rifles and I've got nothing against them. The one I used to have back in the day sent many groundhogs to the other side. I ended up getting rid of it because if I'm not getting the benefit of dirt cheap ammo prices of 22lr then I may as well just grab a 223 and be done with it. I don't have any doubts about a 22lr being able to punch a hole in a fuzzy little groundhog. All that's needed is a nice hit in the vitals.

FYI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUM1r_444CY