Thread: Thread chaser

Basic Member

Thread chaser

Somewhere, I ran across a thread chaser die for the savage barrels for about $24.00. Now I can't find it--thought it was in Midway's website--maybe somewhere else. Anyone know where I can find it again?

While you're here, how do you store your unused barrels? I'm thinking about a piece of PVC pipe with caps twisted on without glue.

I picked up my second Striker this week--2 Strikers, 3 rifles, and a ML10II. I knew this site was going to get me in trouble the day I joined!!!!

Thanks, Steve

lwink

Re: Thread chaser

Quote Originally Posted by durango

While you're here, how do you store your unused barrels? I'm thinking about a piece of PVC pipe with caps twisted on without glue.
    Thanks, Steve
    I usually pick up another action and stock and screw them in, just to keep them safe ;D
    Sometimes just put a cap on the muzzle and threads in the safe, used cardboard tubes as well, but pvc seems like a good choice to me, maybe put caps on the threads and muzzle still and cut a little foam for each end of the pvc tube? I always store extra parts with a coat of oil inside and out and with some dessicant though, hate to think of it rusting on me while it's stored.

I atleast tape up the threads and muzzle with electrical tape. The post office sells cardboard tubes in different lengths for only a couple bucks that work very well also. They have caps for both ends, and you can just write the caliber on the cap. Plus when you are ready to sell the barrel you already have something to ship it in ::)

But like lwink said, it is easier to just buy another action and stock to store it in ;D
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

cardbord sleeves like wrapping paper used to come on standing in a cardbord box like golf clubs. in a corner of the closet with a piece of fired brass in each so I can see what it is.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

lwink

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    cardbord sleeves like wrapping paper used to come on standing in a cardbord box like golf clubs. in a corner of the closet with a piece of fired brass in each so I can see what it is.
    Sounds like you have too many barrels... Do you follow the 14 "club" per bag limit at least??

yep, 12 per box ;D Maybe Hammer, Sinman & Northlander will get a chance and tell us how it is really done :D
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

sinman

Why do you need a thread chaser? and the cardboard shipping tubes work really good to store barrels.

CJ in WY

Have been useing the round cardboard tubes for a while now but putting them in a box with the chamber up and a piece of brass in the chamber is a great idea!! Do you hang a magnifing glass by a string to read the headstamp or are bifocals enough?

Basic Member

Sinman--Don't NEED one yet, just as a precaution to not screw up an action with a damaged barrel thread. Steve

Basic Member

What is the thread pitch of the die you are needing?

I can't remember what it is for the life of me.

McMaster-Carr will have it if anyone does.

Dolomite

sinman

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=710825

you can also use a thread file for 20tpi to clean them up if needed.

Basic Member

One of those would be nice for factory take off barrels. Seems like the bluing salts rough up the threads and makes some of them a little sticky to reinstall. I use a brass brush now, but a chaser die would be even better.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

I have a tap that works great to take care of them scope base screws that hang a hair low. By product is they have light threads on the bottom and the barrel works for a thread locker.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ in WY
    Have been using the round cardboard tubes for a while now but putting them in a box with the chamber up and a piece of brass in the chamber is a great idea!! Do you hang a magnifying glass by a string to read the headstamp or are bifocals enough?
    Trifocals, I'm old and I can get it up to my nose with them!

Wheeler Engineering makes Savage Taps and Dies
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.