Thread: Boyd s stock for Axis

Archer

Boyd s stock for Axis

Hi Guys

I have been reading thread after thread regarding getting Boyds to inlet for the Axis rifles

From having to send mail requests to Boyds, modifying existing stocks, and even making your own (heaven help some one like me, 10 Thumbs!)

Would it not be better to Hammer Savage Arms themselves, to approach Boyds ?

Savage have a winner with the Axis as it is now, we all know the stock has to be what it is to keep the price as it is.

BUT, surely it would be in Savage's best interest, if the option of a aftermarket 'superior', "budget" stock existed !

Something like the Boyds TH Varminter @ only $99 or the Tacticool @ $109

I'm pretty sure that if this was the case, sales of the Axis would increase multi fold

I'm also pretty confident that the powers that be at Boyds may Heed the request of a large Co like Savage Arms over the squeaks of us "little men"

The Axis "target market" will not accommodate a $550 McMillan stock, or the like, but an option like the Boyds Tacticool, a nice stock for the money, that can be colored and sprayed as you wish would be an awesome option.

I firmly believe that the Marketing team at Savage Arms should approach Boyds regarding this, unless they fear the subsequent decline in sales of their more expensive rifle models

Regards

Cuan

South Africa

Keep dreaming! Savage has absolutely no reason to care or take interest in what is or isn't offered for their guns via the aftermarket. They're in the business to make money by selling their product....nothing less, nothing more. And as it sits, they're already selling at a rate that exceeds their current production capacity.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I have to disagree with Mr. Furious.

I have a hard time thinking that Savage, and their appeal doesn't greatly benefit by all of the aftermarket parts that are on the market today.

Aftermarket parts play a large and vital role in the proliferation of any firearm. There is no way that Remington (700) or Ruger (10-22's)would be where they are today without the "aftermarket". The aftermarket makes it so that you can take a vanilla Chevy or Ford and customize it, and "make it yours".

In the shooting sports, everything revolves around the almighty dollar$$$$$

I say, "Keep dreaming".

Basic Member
    I can say with 100% certainty that the aftermarket is NOT driving Axis sales.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Archer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I can say with 100% certainty that the aftermarket is NOT driving Axis sales.
    Sure thing, same as I can say with 100% certainty, Im not a woman

There aren't any aftermarket parts for the Axis !

My point is as Cavera says, knowing that there are aftermarket, semi customization options out there, makes your initial purchase that much more attractive

Just a thought

palerider338
    Keep filling out those Product Request forms on the Boyd's website and sending personal emails.......maybe it will get some action eventually.

Archer
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Really is time to try a different approach

Dr Honda
    Hi guys....

Just to throw in my 2 cents....

I manufacture aftermarket motorcycle parts. While it is nice to be first to market with a new part, for a new bike... sometimes I just don't have time to prototype the new parts. Depending on how big Boyds actually is... he/they may not have the time or man power... even if we want a new stock.

Second... as I touched on in another thread... to make a stock for the Axis... it will require some floor metal. At the minimum... you will need a trigger guard, and a mag clip point. Since Boyds doesn't do any metal parts... that would also keep him from moving forward with this project.

I too would love a couple thumb hole stocks for my axis's... but I'm not holding my breath right now.

To add another 2 cents to what Dr Honda said...

Another huge factor a manufacturer has to consider is the number of potential customers they will have for that product. How many years has that product been in production and/or remained unchanged? How well has it sold over the years? No manufacturer is going to invest the time and money to develop new product if the market isn't there to recoup his/her investment and make a decent profit.

To supplement that, the Axis is a base budget model and the vast majority of people who buy one will never change/upgrade anything on it. So even though Savage has already sold 1/4 million Axis rifles, the percentage of those who were sold to customers interested in modifying them is extremely small - likely less than 3-5%. Factor in the varying tastes/interests of those who fall within that 3-5% and the odds that a given customer will like and want to buy a given stock design for their Axis will be very low and we're now talking maybe 10% of that 3-5% being a potential customer.

That's why I've been adamant in trying to shoot down some of you folks grand visions of a future with dozens of aftermarket stock options for the Axis. That's not a reality that we are likely to ever see - and if one day we do it will be years and years from now. If/when a company does decide to bring out an aftermarket stock option it's likely going to be one or two designs with minimal options and that's it - at least until the Axis has 5-10 years of consistent/unchanged production under it's belt to solidify a viable market worthy of additional options.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Funny thing.....

It didn't take too long for the folk's over at Boyd's to start producing laminate stocks for the Marlin XL7 and XS7 rifles. I know that those rifles have been on the market for less than a few years. They have somewhat of a small cult following. Nowhere near what Savage rifles do, but who knows how things will change. I agree with Mr. Furious that if Boyd's came out with stocks for the Axis it would be very limited, just like the Marlin's are. I don't think there are many options for the Marlin's, but there are options.

People are about getting paid. Boyd's saw that there was enough of a request to make laminate stocks for the Marlin's so guess what..... They made them for a small niche of customers. I'm sure the Marlin folk's are glad, it makes they rifles that much sexier knowing that you can dress them up a little bit.

Pertaing to the Savage Axis, I would go out on a limb and say that due to the Savage Axis having the name "Savage" associated with it will make it a far more popular rifle than the Marlin, would you agree?

Any one in Savage's marketing department knows that the Savage is considered a modular rifle/action. They know that there are big enough groups of individual's (like those on this forum) who will take their rifles, and customize them. It's healthy for business. Why do you think they would sell their bare actions if it wasn't for the sake of "customizing"?

Savage can get rich, and so can those associated with the selling of parts and customization of said rifles. There are many who make their livelihood off of aftermarket.

It's a win/win for all.

gymheart

Thumbs Up Boyd's helped my axis!!

Just in case someone checks out this old thread, I want to update it. I bought an Axis in 308. The SR, or short barrel, threaded. At the range, let's just say I was not impressed with my 2 in. groupings. Then, I bought the Boyd's Light weight thumbhole stock. What a difference. With PPU 168 gr match I got 1in,. with PPU 150 gr SP's I got 7/8in. groups!! I'm highly impressed with the Boyd stock. For $156 and $240 for the rifle, I've got a shooter!