Thread: Burris Signature Rings Base Shimming

Basic Member

Burris Signature Rings Base Shimming

I have a swfa 10x42 scope with about 150moa of total adjustment in it. Currently its mounted on Burris 2pc base and Burris signature zee rings set for 20moa with the inserts all mounted on a savage axis.

My goal is to have 110moa+ of available adjustment currently have about 70moa of available vertical adjustment.
    I could stick a .040in shim under the rear base but I'm worried about getting it to the correct curve to sit flat.

Is it a good idea to use a stack of soda can shims? they would curve much easier.
    would it be a good idea to stick two .040in washers under there and bed the rest of the space with jb weld or something?

Ring alignment is not an issue because I'm using the Burris signature zee rings.

Whar about a 20 moa base?
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    I have a 20moa egw base . but its aluminum and to high. Can't get a good cheek weld. Any of the steel 20moa bases are to expensive. Anyway 20 moa isn't enough I would like more. Or else the extra elevation in the scope is wasted in my opinion.

Just curious, what are you shooting that needs that much elevation?

A 223 with 90g VLD's only need 70moa to get to 1 mile.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    .223 68 and 75 gr hornitys doing 2600fps need at least 70moa to get 1200yards.

I want it to be not bottomed out at that that range to be more opticly centered. I know I won't need 100moa. And I know 223 won't be good at that range but its fun to try.

It will get there. You might need more bullet, twist, and velocity.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...223-mile-1.php

Basic Member
    If you do not have Burris signature rings do not try this the stress on the scope might brake something.

Using burris 2pc steel base and and two .050in washers and some jb weld this is what I did to make a 50moa base for mt savage axis.

To bed the base to the action I covered the screws action screw holes in kiwi shoe polish but not the base. I want the JB to stick to the base not the gun. Now I mixed up some JB weld and put some all over the base that I ruffed up and the receiver. I had to find some longer screws from my old EGW base the Burris screws are to short. Used some cue tips to clean up and this is how it turned out...

Next to my front base you can see the height difference.

Here it is on the action

If anyone wants more pictures or info let me know.
    Shot a 1in group with it and also shot 375yasrds at a water jug with no issues.
    Last edited by jalmeter29; 04-22-2013 at 12:51 PM.

They make some +10 & -10 inserts for the 30mm tubes. If you put a +10 on bottom and a -10 on top in the rear ring and a -10 on bottom and +10 on top in the front ring that will give you a total of 20 extra moa.

Basic Member
    Yep I have those installed and even with those inserts I still only had about 60MOA of adjustment. Now who needs more than 60moa of adjustment? I don't know but I'm getting my moneys worth out of my scope.

Basic Member
    1200 yds is a long way for that mickey mouse load. At that range the bullets are coming in like mortar rounds.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."