Thread: Savage /Axis, left or right?

Team Savage

Question Savage /Axis, left or right?

Never seen, had my hands on one or owned an Axis rifle so the question is, what's the difference between the left and right rifles?
    The Savage 10/110 has the bolt release on the right rear (older rifles) and the only difference between the right and left stocks is the bolt handle cut.
    I see Boyds was asking how many would want a true "left" hand stock for the Axis?
    Why not make a stock to fit the Axis OR Savage 10/110 "without" a bolt handle cut so it could be fitted to either style? No plugging holes to go from right to left. Just cut it on the side you want.
    I've gone as far as plugging the right bolt handle cut on a right hand stock and recutting it on the left side for a left hand action.
    Any stock that would fit your action, be it right or left could be fitted just by cutting for a bolt handle.
    I've also ordered and recieved a left hand stock that had the bolt release inlet on the left hand side. WTF is this?? Trying to tell the stock maker the difference was like talking to a box of rocks.
    So, whats the difference between a right or left hand Axis?
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

82boy
    The difference is in the machining of the of the primary extraction ramp in the back of the receiver, and the bolt handle. The Axis doesn't use a rear baffle like a 110 Savage does, that allows the 110 to change out baffles and switch sides. You could not use the same stock for an axis and a 110 because there are many differences. Some of the differences are: 1. the Axis has a different screw spacing, than any 110 or 10 action made. 2. The Axis has no rear tang unlike a 110/10 action, so therefore the trigger set up and inletting are completely different. 3. The Axis uses a half lug recoil lug that is not supported by the action but located in the stock. There are a few more differences between the two, but some of these are the main culprits.

Team Savage
    Patrick:
    You may have thought I was thinking about switching between the 10/110 etc. stock and the Axis? Just the difference between the "Axis" right or left action.
    What is the physical differences between the "Axis" right and left actions? If the only difference is the bolt handle, "(like the 10/110), why not make a stock (for the Axis) "without" the bolt handle cut? Easy enough to cut it on the side you want it on?
    Same thing would apply for the Savage 10/110 etc. No bolt handle cut, just cut it to the side you want.
    Maybe I need to go check out an Axis rifle (not that I'll ever buy one) and see exactly what they look like?
    I know what the difference is between the right and left 10/110 rifles. It's only the bolt handle cut! Action screw spacings arn't coming into play here.

Basic Member
    For most people if they're going to spend good money on a stock, they want it to be drop in! Not everyone has the confidence to do the final touches themselves. I don't mind making small adjustments, but I don't want to have to finish the job that I paid them to do for me!

Team Savage
    If that's the case, and no (in this case) left handed stocks are available, and you feel that you could cut a slot for the bolt handle, why not have a stock inletted "without" the bolt handle cut. Right hand stock available that fits the same action profile and you just cut the slot on the left side? Hack saw, sandpaper and a brush with a little finish for the bare wood.
    I'am not thinking a full refinish job, just at the bolt handle cut. And if you don't think you could acomplish that part of it, then you would have to wait till one came available. That's the down side!
    And myself, I would consider cutting a bolt handle slot a "small adjustment".

Basic Member
    I agree. You won't get a company like boyds to do that because they're to big and companies like SSS are specialty so they will tweak it the way the customer requests. The business aspect of what your asking isn't in it for the two current providers.

Maybe one of the companies that do 80% complete stocks would be interested in doing something like that because their customer base is into finishing their own stocks.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    The big issue with boyds doing custom work is all there work is Cnc so you have to do the R&D to get the cad drawing done, make the tool paths, check fit, make adjustments in the models and tool paths until it's all right. It just takes time and money they have to evaluate whether that investment is worth it for a limited market. Often times taking just the bolt cut and the bolt release cut out usually takes rebuilding a considerable amount of the model and re working the tool paths so more money. They also have become large enough like said that they have to maintain there projected production levels and not be tying machines up on the R&D work that may not pay the bills.

I'm a lefty and want the same stocks that the right handed guys can get, and it's frustrating not to be able to. I am a piss poor wood worker but if boyds doesn't come out with the laminate tacticool I I'm going to grab a couple blanks and see what I can't tear up.

I think I understand what you're getting at Nor Cal Mikie... Owning both a right (my wife's) and left hand Axis of the same model, it appears the main differences in the rifles is that the ejection port in cut on opposite sides, and the bolt is different. I'm sure that is an overly simplified observation, but works for my purposes here. On the surface it seems like a pretty simple idea, to just take a right hand stock cut a new bolt handle notch in it and you have a left handed stock. But, for those of us Lefties who would like a thumbhole stock, or a Monte Carlo style, or other variations, it's just not that simple. Everything would be on the wrong side of the stock. So, yes if we all wanted straight as a board plain stocks it would be just a simple matter of the company making an ambidextrous stock, or us just modifying a right handed stock to suit us. BTW... your "(not that I'll ever buy one)" comment makes it sound like you look down your nose at an Axis... Mine with just a couple of mods has already proven it can out shoot some very high dollar rifles at my gun club. Just sayin.

Team Savage
    Overly simplified observation? I think you covered what I was asking about very well.
    Don't get me wrong. Really got nothing against the Axis. It's just a matter of having Model 10/12s and switching parts to get them the way I want them. My guess is I'll probably never buy "another" new rifle. Maybe a real nice Martini or Remington Rolling Block for my 20 VT or "short"?
    Like I said before, Never seen or held an Axis rifle. And the fact that there isn't the aftermarket parts availability that there is for the 10/12s keeps me away from the Axis.
    As far as a 80% drop in stock, you need to find a stock maker that will cut it to "your specs".
    I had ordered up a right hand thumbhole stock, cut for a left hand Model 12 action. That's the one that had the "mirror image" inlet with the bolt release on the left rear.
    I was able to sell it and cover my costs but trying to tell the stock maker what the problem was turned out to be a waste of time. Just couldn't get thru to them.
    So, if the only difference between the left and right Axis is the port and bolt handle, it would be real easy to go with an ambi stock, plug the right hand bolt cut and recut it on the left side. An inletted stock without the bolt handle cut would be great.
    Probably not much of a market for a left hand Axis aftermarket as for a right hand. Any of you lefty folk are stuck in the middle.
    Keep looking till you find someone that will build on the way "you" want it. My guess is the price will be high but at least you'll get what you want.
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 11-02-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Differences in Actions:
    - Lug Ramps cut into front of action are cut to rotate in opposite directions for LH and RH
    - Ejection port is cut on opposite side

Primary extraction is a function built into the bolt handle itself, which is obviously different for RH and LH models.

As far as the stock differences go...
    - the bolt handle cutout is on the opposite side.

And who said no LH Axis stocks are available? Fred's already made two for me and probably a couple others for other customers already. Why do you think most of his stock patterns are of an ambidextrous design? It's so that the only thing that needs to change for a RH or LH shooter is the side the bolt handle cutout is, which isn't part of his CNC inlet program but rather a manual operation using a jig to ensure the proper angle and location.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    At least "someone" is making a left hand Axis stock. And the bolt handle cutout not being part of Fred's CNC inlet program makes it that much easier.

Basic Member
    Actually the bolt handle cut on the Axis stocks is done with a CNC mill. Right or left is a sub-program that is specified at the beginning, right along with a sub-program for the length of magazine, and the barrel channel size.
    All of the bolt handle cuts for the 10's,110's etc are cut in a separate operation.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Actually the bolt handle cut on the Axis stocks is done with a CNC mill. Right or left is a sub-program that is specified at the beginning, right along with a sub-program for the length of magazine, and the barrel channel size.
    All of the bolt handle cuts for the 10's,110's etc are cut in a separate operation.
    You mean you eliminated some hand work on the Axis stocks? Sheesh, you act like you're trying to simplify or streamline the manufacturing process or something. That's not allowed! LOL
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain