Thread: Clip / Magazine box

Basic Member

Clip / Magazine box

the clip / magazine box on axis is the same as on a savage centerfeed just bottom metal is different ?

The answer is both Yes and No depending on what you're referring to as the clip/magazine box.

There are two DBM magazine designs currently in use by Savage. The top half of both (the metal box for the rounds themselves) is the same and interchangeable on both designs, but the design of the magazine base plate (that snaps onto the bottom) and how the magazine is retained in the firearm are different.

The first option is held in the firearm by a latch that is part of the magazine surround plate (or bottom metal) on the bottom of the stock and looks like this.

Note that the release lever is part of the magazine surround plate and not a part of the magazine. Also note that the magazine base plate and the magazine surround plate on these can be either metal or plastic. Typically you will only find the plastic versions on package rifles, but that may change as time goes on.

The second option is the Axis style magazine which has the retention clip as an integral part of the magazine. In addition to being used on all Axis models, it's now being used on a large number of Savage's 10/110 series package rifles - including the Trophy Hunter package rifles.

As far as I know every Savage made with this style magazine has had a synthetic stock, but don't take that as the gospel as I could be wrong. Additionally, there is no magazine surround plate on synthetic stocked models using this style magazine.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Mr F it would be the top half (metal box for the rounds) i am planing on buying a 308 axis changing bolt face, magazine box, barrelfrom a stevens 200 223 so i think it should work thanks jw

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Additionally, there is no magazine surround plate on synthetic stocked models using this style magazine
    Actually, The synthetic stocked Trophy Hunter you mentioned as using the Axis style magazine as well as the Model 11VT (and possibly others) DO USE a magazine surround plate (magazine frame), or at least the examples I've seen do. The good news is that the plastic mag frames (like on the 11VT) and the metallic mag frames (like on a Precision Carbine) are interchangeable. So it is possible to convert some rifles that use the Axis style magazine to the other magazine system.
    Last edited by 762X51; 05-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.

hombre243
    Hi,
    So if I order a mag for an axis it will fit the 11vt?
    Where can I get one at a decent price?

Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    Actually, The synthetic stocked Trophy Hunter you mentioned as using the Axis style magazine as well as the Model 11VT (and possibly others) DO USE a magazine surround plate (magazine frame), or at least the examples I've seen do. The good news is that the plastic mag frames (like on the 11VT) and the metallic mag frames (like on a Precision Carbine) are interchangeable. So it is possible to convert some rifles that use the Axis style magazine to the other magazine system.
    Savage used those plastic frames on the first several batches of the Trophy Hunter rifles. Since then they have gone to a molded in surround so the bottom will look identical to the one shown above for the Axis. This has been covered a few times in recent threads and I even created a Savage FAQ article on it last week because it's caused so much confusion.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...gazine-Systems
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain