Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buyers remorse ? Model 10 fcp-sr for tactical precision ?

Basic Member

[QUOTE=LongArm;204398]I wish I knew that they would have done a custom one like that. I called defiance machine and got a Deviant action left bolt right port. I am left handed but have always shot right handed guns. Getting into run & gun tact matches drove me to get a left handed rifle. Its nice to be able to check the chamber to see if there is a round in it with out breaking me shooting position! My action took 9 weeks which was fast. Now they are around 15weeks wait time. Good luck with your new rifle. I think you'll love it.

LongArm did you just get the action from Defiance or did they build the rifle? If I would have gone that route I think I would have gotten the Defiance. Would like to see a picture of it.

Basic Member
    Well some encouraging news. Talked to Savage today. They got the stock in which is the main thing but it has now been been shipped out to get inlet-ed for bottom metal. Then will sent out to be painted. No ETA but at-leased there is progress. I do understand the hoops they have to go through to accomplish this build. I will defiantly try the new stock out before I send the loaner back because the loaner is GTG. I told them that but they insisted that the new stock would be better.

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    Well some encouraging news. Talked to Savage today. They got the stock in which is the main thing but it has now been been shipped out to get inlet-ed for bottom metal. Then will sent out to be painted. No ETA but at-leased there is progress. I do understand the hoops they have to go through to accomplish this build. I will defiantly try the new stock out before I send the loaner back because the loaner is GTG. I told them that but they insisted that the new stock would be better.
    Good to hear Chuck, sounds like they're taking care of ya
    The loaner stock is more than most any other builder would do for you I'd bet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    Good to hear Chuck, sounds like they're taking care of ya
    The loaner stock is more than most any other builder would do for you I'd bet.
    OH, No doubt!

Might want to think about not cleaning after each session. I can almost promise you that a "dirty" barrel will give you less vertical and extreme spread at long distance than a clean one. Why not try shooting and keeping a tally on rounds fired until accuracy falls off?

JCalhoun
    A lot of match shooters clean about every 600 to 800 rounds.

Basic Member
    wbm, the only thing I'm doing right now is running a wet patch (hoppes #9) followed by a couple dry patches. I do want to remove the carbon. I haven't used a brush on this barrel. Round count is just under 100. I have a couple of interesting targets. the target I posted and another that looks almost identical to it. The interesting thing here is the target I posted those are shots 11-15. The other target that looks just like it is shots 1-5. So my CBS is with the group. I don't think I can ask for more!

On a side note I hope to shoot a match in a couple weeks. I don't think I'll do that good as the stress level is high but at least I know that the rifle is perfect.

Basic Member
    Well I took the new stick to its first match and was really pleased with how the gun ran. No I didn't do very good but all in all it was a lot of fun. Anyway the rifle is set up pretty good. The only issues I had were the magazines and that was only when they were inserted in the gun a few times. The mag lips need to be worked over to make them feed right. So out of all the mechanical things that can go wrong in a match that was the only problem that I had with the rifle. No failure to feed once I started to run the gun. No misfires. No safety or trigger issues. The bolt ran smooth and cycled every round. Once again I have to give a big shout out to the people at Savage for such a fine rifle! They built it and put more thought into it than I could have expected. I am so pleased with the build.

PS Only wish I was a better shooter to give the rifle the justice it deserves.

Basic Member
    I think I'll post on this thread till I shoot one match after I get the stock that should have come with the gun. That way it will be a fair analysis of (what I think)the rifle and its intended purpose.So with that being said here goes Tactical Match #2 with this rifle.

Match #2 was a short 4 stage match with low turnout. High winds and rain added to the difficulty but the stages themselves were hard without the weather. Anyway, keeping in mind that most of these shooters are excellent with their rifles and gear, I didn't do to bad. Out of a possible 48 plus some bonus points, witch I did not engage, I scored 20. The high shooter scored 35.
    This is my third tactical match ever and and my last two have been big improvements over my first one.
    Once again the rifle ran flawless. It will take some time to get used to it and I'm still holding out for the fact that when it is restocked and I can set it up the way I want, my shooting will get better.
    My next match will be in early December if I can get in. It will be a two day shoot with the first day being all from the weak side. From what I hear one stage will be 1400 yds. and probably a 2 moa target.

Basic Member
    So I called Savage today and asked about my stock. Effie sounded shocked and said "you haven't gotten it yet?" I said no. I been away from home for quite a few days. She said let me track it. Answer- It will be delivered by the end of the day.

Basic Member
    Well I now have the shock that was supposed to have gotten with the build. IT came in late last night on UPS. Those guys really are tough to deal with some times. The package was on the truck for 3 days. I know this for a fact! The driver and I had words, LOL !
    Any way when I get it all set up I'll post it.

Basic Member
    Okay now I've got my work cut out for me. First off I need to build a karsten type cheek rest. Then I need to do something with the LOP. Next I need to pull the scope and rail off, (I lied), and put a 20 MOA base on it. I thought it came with one but I was wrong. Anyway I have a Warne steel rail to put on it and you can't see any daylight between the action and rail. Looks right. Another thing I need to do is try and mount my flush cups for my sling. That will be a tough one on this stock. I have an adjustable butt plate and pad I want to install so I'll see how that goes. Then I will install the scope and I should be ready for the range. Think I might try and heat things up a bit for my next shoot. May even go to 130's? Wish I had some of you guys looking over my shoulder to help out, LOL. Should be a different stick here in a week or so.
    Last edited by chukarmandoo; 11-08-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Some things are better not said. Dan

Basic Member
    Well this is what it looks like now. The new stock is basically the same as the other one except it has the beaver tail for end and a different paint scheme. I cut the stock down a little and added the adjustable butt plate. The cheek piece I made. I added the 20 moa rail. I also added a few pounds to the stock. She weighs 19#'s now. I had to take the backing plate out of the magazines to load the long bullets. Next is a trip to the range.

rattfink
    Been to the range with this gal yet Chuck? That's a good looking job you did on the cheek piece.

Basic Member
    No, not yet. I'm trying to get the magazines to work right. I didn't want to mess with them till I had the new stock. Same deal with this one. Called Accurate-Mag and talked to them but when it's on the phone it's tough to explain. I just call to see if they were having any other problems like me and they said no. Just about got it worked out on my own. I want it running smooth before I take her out for another drive. I only want to deal with one problem at a time.

Basic Member
    Okay, so here's the problem. I haven't been able to run the bolt with pressure on the mag. This has not been good as you are always supporting the rifle via the magazine except from the prone. There is a little glitch between the two companies here in their fit and finish.
    Most shooters don't have a problem with this. From what I hear a lot of people gripe about the magazine rattling in the bottom metal but for the kind of rifle it is that doesn't bother me at all. I support the rifle in the offhand with my hand under the magazine. Therefore I still need to be able to cycle the bolt. Well after working on it for most of the day I have 4 mags that seem to work. We'll see come range day.

Basic Member
    Today I took the rifle to the range to zero it since doing the stock exchange. Well it did not go very good to say the least. When I took the rifle out when I first got it I experienced almost the same thing as today. So I wasted 40 rounds,range fee and gas. I have never shot this rifle without the muzzle brake and with testing both stocks the barrel is pushed down to the point it causes the stock to flex to the point it comes in contact with the barrel. So this afternoon I took the weight out of the butt stock and cut 1 1/2 lbs of the weight off and re-installed it. I took the barreled action out and opened up the channel at the front. I then put it back together and torqued it down. I also found that the rings were a little loose to the base. I think things will straighten out now. I know it will shoot. I just haven't put it together right yet.

rattfink
    Okay, so here's the problem. I haven't been able to run the bolt with pressure on the mag. This has not been good as you are always supporting the rifle via the magazine except from the prone. There is a little glitch between the two companies here in their fit and finish.
    Most shooters don't have a problem with this. From what I hear a lot of people gripe about the magazine rattling in the bottom metal but for the kind of rifle it is that doesn't bother me at all. I support the rifle in the offhand with my hand under the magazine. Therefore I still need to be able to cycle the bolt. Well after working on it for most of the day I have 4 mags that seem to work. We'll see come range day.
    I don't mean to insult your intelligence but I have always considered this a pretty bad habit for the exact reason you cite.
    That's what I was taught and what I have been teaching guys for years.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    I don't mean to insult your intelligence but I have always considered this a pretty bad habit for the exact reason you cite.
    That's what I was taught and what I have been teaching guys for years.
    No offense taken. It's the way we done it in the Corps. Even when shooting from the prone.Anyone remember the big finger-less glove for the support hand? Anyway it is a big asset not to have to worry about something putting pressure on the mag during a stage and causing you to break position and lose valuable time. It will get fixed. No biggie.

Basic Member
    http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1385862358
    This is a ladder test that I've started and it looks like I'm figuring some things out. I got this info from a fellow over on snipers hide. Well some of it anyway "the part that makes sense". Because I was so far from home when I done this, I was only able to load for the first test. I also wanted to see what effect COAL had on my existing load.

Basic Member
    No offense taken. It's the way we done it in the Corps. Even when shooting from the prone.Anyone remember the big finger-less glove for the support hand? Anyway it is a big asset not to have to worry about something putting pressure on the mag during a stage and causing you to break position and lose valuable time. It will get fixed. No biggie.

They don't teach it any longer because it will cause most semi auto's to jam. Also you have more control over the firearm with your forehand further forward.

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    They don't teach it any longer because it will cause most semi auto's to jam. Also you have more control over the firearm with your forehand further forward.
    This. In January 2004 the SOP was palm under the forgrips. Fingerless gloves and all.

Still...I would expect a little better fit and finish on your new stick than a stepped on M16-A2 from one of the depots.

Basic Member
    So my ladder test shows that there is a accuracy node from shots #2-#6. That group has a 1.5 vertical spread at just over 500 yards which would be just under .3 MOA. Even though the speed would be a little low I think I could get better groups at 41 grains than the 43 I've been running. Another thing I seen is that none of the cases showed any signs of pressure even at 44 grains. Also when I shot the 3 rounds at different COAL the 2.82 looked to be a little closer to POA. This I think is do,impart,to lower pressure with the bullet being seated deeper (might be giving me velocities more like 41 grains jamb)? Even that little test showed those 3 shots grouped at 2.5". I still don't think this load is optimum for the harmonics of this barrel as rounds #2-#6 showed. I'm not going to get caught in the speed trap over accuracy thing.
    The magazine thing is almost worked out. Not to put anyone down about this, but my support hand has always and will always be under the action with my elbow braced against my body. I don't shoot gangster style LOL.

Basic Member
    nice gun.
    You might want to give the Berger 140 gn. Hybrids a try in your gun . They have very high BC and are easy to get tuned in. Most guys that I shoot with at the long range shoots around me use them in their rifles in 6.5 calibers.
    I know they shot well in my 6.5 X 284.
    Just something to think about...

Basic Member
    I would like to try them but they've been hard to come by and like you said most everybody is using them. I know that they are easier to tune for and someday I 'll luck out and score on a bulk amount. No point in buying one box and then having to go back to regular vld's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast