Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buyers remorse ? Model 10 fcp-sr for tactical precision ?

Basic Member

Well I'm glad I called back. rattfink I think it might be worthwhile to try and locate a base and see if Savage would issue a po to the suppler and mail directly to you? Just a thought. Anyway hope it works out for you sooner than later. Dan

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    Well I'm glad I called back. rattfink I think it might be worthwhile to try and locate a base and see if Savage would issue a po to the suppler and mail directly to you? Just a thought. Anyway hope it works out for you sooner than later. Dan

Yeah, I thought of ordering new one. I like the TPS steel base, but they don't make a 20 MOA for a long action anymore. My LGS was willing to order something but most of the options were outside my budget (Would love a NF base!) and just about everyone I have checked is back ordered on the EGW base I ordered so I will wait. And pretend to be a patient man.

Basic Member
    Holy Cow! Dose Savage shut down for 2 weeks every year! Last time I talked to them, 6/21, they said they would be closed Friday the 28th.They said they would try to get my rifle sent out by the 27th. I called today to check again on ETA. They're fricking closed till 7/12 which means 7/15! If I ever get the gun and it shoots than I'll be happy but right now I'm pissed. After TKA gets done with them (like Bushmaster and Freedom Group) we'll all have to wait 5 years to get a Savage called some other name like, I don't know, Indian Arms or Westfield Weapons! Anyway don't think I be doing this again "it just sucks". Dan

JCalhoun
    Yes, I believe they do shut down for a couple weeks each year.

Basic Member
    Well I hope when they reopen everyone that was there before will be back! If you know what I mean. I would hate to have to go through the "he said she said" thing at this point. Especially since the rifle is bought and paid for. Oh well best laid plans of mice and men, or something like that.

Basic Member
    Last year I sent a bent barrel back on a new rifle - the 10 FC I mentioned above. It was waiting to be fired at the range, and the vacation arrived, so it waited awhile longer. Just to update on accuracy, I now have worked on the loads more, and got a 0.27" 5-shot group at 100 yds. Just keep the saliva drip cloth under your chin.

Basic Member
    Well I've cooled down now. It is what it is. Not going to think about it anymore till I get it in my hands. I have more important things really that I should be putting my energy into. Jim good to hear how well your rifle shoots. Thanks.Dan

Basic Member
    Sounds like a sweet rig, I am a lefty too and see how much we get short changed on gear. I have an FLCP-K 308 and love it. Its a sub 0.368 MOA gun from the factory. The .260 will be awesome setup like that.

blt65
    chukarmandoo, when I first started looking for a tactical rifle I went kept searching for Savage 12 LRP with the same thought you had thinking the action would be stronger then their varmit actions. I did end up getting a 12 LRP in a 6.5 Creedmoor (I was wanting a .260) but took what I could get and I am glad I did as I have grown to love the creedmoor. After talking with folks, one who is a outstanding gunsmith (a remmy guy though) assured me either action would of been fine. It was explained like this, when the bolt is closed on a round and the locking lugs engages all the pressure is going to be pushing back on the bolt and the locking lugs, the chamber walls and the bullet. The weakest link is the bullet so it is then pushed forward and out of the barrel, so technically being that the locking lugs are at the 12 and 6 o clock positions all the force is being pushed straing back so the extra material on top of the action does very little in support of the locking lugs. It does give you a nice place to mount your picatinny rail but if you buy a high quality steel rail you will be fine. Good luck on your new rifle and I would love to hear how it shoots.
    Last edited by blt65; 07-12-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Basic Member
    Well one month to the day that I last posted on this thread . Anyway I got the rifle yesterday and it is "sick" to say the least! the only way this would be better is if I had gotten it with the stock that was ordered . So fist off, the receiver is just crazy. It looks to be a model 12. In fact the whole stick looks like the model 12 LRP with a side bolt release and CDI bottom metal with a ten round mag put in a precision carbine stock.
    To get back on topic , my original concern was the receiver. On Savages' website it shows it to be a 10/110 type action and after I ordered it I felt that I had messed up. Well somebody at Savage can read minds cause this thing is sweet! Thanks Effie (customer service coordinator special orders) and Jim (master gunsmith / special orders). Dan

I thought they used Accurate-Mag DBM and not CDI...?

rattfink
    Dude...PICS! Let's see that peashooter!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    I thought they used Accurate-Mag DBM and not CDI...?
    I think you are correct. Sorry

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    Dude...PICS! Let's see that peashooter!
    I know, I know. I can barely load shells, so loading pics is almost impossible.

Basic Member
    [/URL]

I don't know if this worked?

Basic Member
    Okay, I was able to get the picture up! That right there is amazing in itself. Take note, nothing on this rifle is set and ready to go! I just attached scope , brake, etc. to see it all together. I haven't even cleaned it up yet. I got the stick on Friday and the steel came in the mail on Saturday. I plan to get it out to the range this week. The bad part of this whole thing is I won't be able to set it up the way I want because I have to return the stock when they send me mine. That could be a long long wait? Anyway it will be good to at least send some rounds down range! The setup: Savage model 10, cal. 260, scope Vortex Razor 5-20x50, brake Ross, bi-pod Atlas, sling Riflecraft.

JCalhoun
    Nice!

rattfink
    That is a sweet rig. Having the opposite side eject is pretty cool. I hope it shoots the lights out and is worth the wait.

Basic Member
    Well that didn't work. Sorry.
    Last edited by chukarmandoo; 08-26-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Maybe this works? Anyway I was able to get some H4350 from a fellow that I met at the range. So far this is my best group, 5 shots at 100 yds. I think with a little more work it will do 1/2". It will take a little more time to get used to but thats ok.

I'm not sure you southpaws understand how really special this factory made rifle is! To be able to buy a "cross-eyed" action like this for not too much over Savage retail in less than 6 mos is amazing! It makes my efforts to convert one look silly. I'm kind of bummed right now.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

LongArm
    I wish I knew that they would have done a custom one like that. I called defiance machine and got a Deviant action left bolt right port. I am left handed but have always shot right handed guns. Getting into run & gun tact matches drove me to get a left handed rifle. Its nice to be able to check the chamber to see if there is a round in it with out breaking me shooting position! My action took 9 weeks which was fast. Now they are around 15weeks wait time. Good luck with your new rifle. I think you'll love it.

Basic Member
    I went out shooting with my sons and grandsons Saturday and had a great time! The new stick is working out to be better each outing. I have less than 100 rounds through it and it is accurate to say the least. We were shooting steel out to 530 yds. and some of the hits were amazing. A lot of repeated shots showed only one impact on the steel. I tried to set up the steel as if it was a match with all targets being less than 2 moa at any given distance with the only exception the 66% IPSC. The targets were 25% IPSC, 45% IPSC and the 66% IPSC w/two flappers. One being 7" and the other 2". At 530 we could hit the 2"! We could hit the 7" almost every shot. The 45% was set at 510 and it was seldom missed. The 25% IPSC was set at 330 and it took little effort to make all impacts on that target. One thing I'd like to say is about the barrel. I cleaned it once after 20 rounds with a copper solvent. I did clean it with Hoppe's after every shot for the first 20 rounds. Now I clean it only with Hoppe's after each range session. The only thing I want to remove is the carbon at this time. CBS has been with the main group through my limited testing. The barrel seems to be right up there with the top of the line. Now I Want My Stock. Dan

rattfink
    Ha! It sounds like the current stock leaves little room for improvement.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    Ha! It sounds like the current stock leaves little room for improvement.
    It sounds like that but I need to work some things out. I can't put any pressure on the mag, If I do I can't cycle the bolt. I want to install flush cups for the sling etc. I was able to drill out the reinforcing metal on the mag but now that the rounds are loaded out to COAL of 2.922+/- when I single load the rounds they tip down on the bullet end and jamb. The cheek rest is hooky and I want to put a rail on for my bi-pod. So I really need the stock so that I can start to set it up right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast