Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buyers remorse ? Model 10 fcp-sr for tactical precision ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Red face Buyers remorse ? Model 10 fcp-sr for tactical precision ?

Hello from Oregon. I haven't introduced myself yet and only made a post or two but I have gained a lot of info on this forum by lurking. Anyway here's the deal. I somehow got involved in Tactical Precision shoots and absolutely love this format of shooting but it has not treated me very good so far. So I called Savage and asked them to build me a rifle based off a FCP-SR. Their reply was "yes" so I ordered the build with these changes ( left hand bolt , right port , chambered in 260 rem. , 26" barrel w/threaded muzzle ). I won't get it for another 3 months but I am now wondering if I should have went a different direction? Anyone competing in these shoots on here? I would like your input , good or bad. Thanks. Dan
    Last edited by chukarmandoo; 04-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.

rattfink
    I haven't done this sort of comp before but it sounds like an awesome rifle! I hope it serves you well.

JCalhoun
    Sounds like an awesome rifle. What part are you second guessing?

Sounds good to me too.

It's a fine gun, unless you decided on a different model.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    To answer a couple questions , yes I'm thinking I should have gone with something in the model 12. I have to admit , I didn't think that I could get a DBM in the 12 until someone else on here asked about the LRP. I think the action will be the weak link and I was seeing if somebody might be able to shed some light regarding this? Thanks.

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    To answer a couple questions , yes I'm thinking I should have gone with something in the model 12. I have to admit , I didn't think that I could get a DBM in the 12 until someone else on here asked about the LRP. I think the action will be the weak link and I was seeing if somebody might be able to shed some light regarding this? Thanks.
    I think you'll be fine. I used the 112 FCV as my starting point for my order b/c it had what I wanted: Accustock/ trigger, DBM, bull barrel, large bolt handle.
    After reading your build I almost have buyer's remorse! Almost. Not quite.

Basic Member
    rattfink, thanks for the reply. The people at Savage are pretty good . Everything I asked for they said they could do. I guess time will tell.
    The hardest part is ordering something that you can't see or handle and then have to wait. Your mind starts playing games.
    Basically I wanted a precision rifle in a left hand and one thing led to another.
    From the sound of it you seem satisfied with your build.

JCalhoun
    The Model 10/11/12/14 and 16 use the same action design. Some are blued and some are stainless but the design is the same.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    The Model 10/11/12/14 and 16 use the same action design. Some are blued and some are stainless but the design is the same.
    I understand what you are saying but I think the 12 that I'm referring to would be like their target actions with just the ejection port which I'm wondering if it might be stronger?
    In the end this needs to be a half minute gun.

JCalhoun
    The rifle you chose will up to the task. The rest is up to you.

There is no accuracy difference between the standard actions and the target actions. A good glass bedding and decent optics are a place to pay attention. Both have plenty of information here.

Do you handload?

Basic Member
    Thanks JCalhoun. I'm just probably putting to much thought in this? I have the glass picked almost picked out. Down to 2 I think. Will make my choice next month. Either the Vortex Razor hd 5-20x50 or the Bushnell 3.5-21x50.
    As far as reloading goes, I do. Right now I'm loading for a 260 in a Savage LWH also a 6.5-284 that I put together using a old 110 and its a shooter. I also put together a Mauser that a friend gave me ( 2 stocks and a action ) that he had for over 30 years and never finished. I put a A&B barrel on it and chambered it to a 260 rem Improved 30 degree and it also shoots really good.

Anyway wish I could have bought the FCP-SR and put a barrel of my choice on it. This will be my first left hand gun. Never felt the need to go there until I started these shoots.

RStewart
    The caliber is right. I have several friends that shoot in the Precision Rifle Series and the .260 dominates.
    You did not define Precision Tactical, so I will assume it's the run and gun format of most tactical matches. We hold Field Precision matches from prone position at 600 yards and the .260's and .308's are pretty much neck and neck at that distance. Comes down to shooter and wind reading at that point. The .260 really starts to dominate at distances beyond that. PRSS matches engage targets out to 1200 yards.
    Your rifle should do well at whatever distance you shoot.

Basic Member
    RStewart, basically I want a gun that will compete with the Remington clone's. The action is my concern. I should add, these matches are considered long range tactical precision. With the exception of the "cold bore shot" at the first stage which is paper, all the rest of the targets are steel, usually less than 2 MOA, and at any distance out to 1200 yards. Shooters will engage multiple targets at every stage. While most targets are known distance, some are not. All stages are timed. Most being less than 90 seconds and most matches have a round count between 150 to 200 rounds.

I do agree that it is all about the shooter and I can deal with that but I cannot deal with the shooter and the rifle. So far everyone has been positive on here. I also think Savage would not offer the 10 in this configuration if they thought it couldn't compete but I don't know for sure.

RStewart
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    RStewart, basically I want a gun that will compete with the Remington clone's. The action is my concern. I should add, these matches are considered long range tactical precision. With the exception of the "cold bore shot" at the first stage which is paper, all the rest of the targets are steel, usually less than 2 MOA, and at any distance out to 1200 yards. Shooters will engage multiple targets at every stage. While most targets are known distance, some are not. All stages are timed. Most being less than 90 seconds and most matches have a round count between 150 to 200 rounds.

I do agree that it is all about the shooter and I can deal with that but I cannot deal with the shooter and the rifle. So far everyone has been positive on here. I also think Savage would not offer the 10 in this configuration if they thought it couldn't compete but I don't know for sure

I have a Savage 12 FTR and the action is built like a tank and functions smoothly. If the repeaters are built.as well, you should be fine.
    Last edited by RStewart; 04-22-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Basic Member
    Just as one responder noted, get the action bedded, and I would also put a saddle under the first portion of the barrel, just past the nut, which cannot be bedded, due to the grooves. Also, I would lap the barrel, and your rifle should shoot 1/2 MOA. 1/2-3/4 MOA will make you competitive with anybody. Do not touch the trigger, since AccuTriggers are fine out of the box. The Model 10 action and factory barrel are not going to play second fiddle to any Remington. The new Remingtons with Xtrigger are also excellent rifles, and I recently worked on one (bedding and lapping) that yielded less than 1/2 MOA. The Savage Model 10 I did the same thing to shot 7 shots in 0.55" at 100 yds. The Remington was a .30-'06, and the Savage was a .308 Win, but .260 will be even easier to shoot. The only disadvantage to the .260 bullets is greater spin drift at 800 yds and beyond, but not a problem, once you shoot it some. Start with an extra 1/2 MOA adjustment for spin drift at 700 and 800, then 1 MOA beyond that, as a base. Other people may have more info, but the .308 Win would be about 1/2 MOA for all those distances. You'll be spending more on components with the .308, though, since you will need Bergers for the .308 beyond 800-900, and the .260 will do fine with SierrasNoslers all the way out. Any other people want to weigh in on this, please? I like Bushnell, due to the anti-fogging, excellent glare protection, and lifetime warranty. Others seem to favor other scopes, but get a mil-dot, for adjusting the windage without having to turn the knobs. A Bushnell 6500 has plenty of vertical adjustment, especially if you get a 20 MOA Picatinny base, and the 50 mm objective gets plenty of light. They are definitely more expensive than the 4200, which will easily do the job with a 20 MOA base.
    Jim

Basic Member
    Well everyone, thanks for your replies! You have all given really positive responses. I just ordered the scope, rings and bipod. They should be here Tuesday. I,ll be using them on the 6.5-284 until I receive the new gun ( sometime in June?).
    Just one more question; anybody order from Savage "a custom build" and was their quoted time for the build accurate?
    Thanks again. Dan

I have and to answer your specific question the answer is NO. It was 6 weeks late but in all fairness to Savage the action,barrel combo was ready to go a week early, problem was there was an issue with the stocks from the vendor and Savage would not use them as shipped, so they held it up until the problem was corrected.That really didn't matter to me because I had a Russo stock on order that ended up 3 months or more late coming.
    If you are interested it was a mod. 110 LE 7rem mag with a 20" bull barrel.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Okay, I am stoked ! Called Savage today and talked to Effie. She told me that the action should be finished this week. I didn't ask but she told me she had talked to the engineer last week ,because he had questions, and he told her it would would be finished this week ! Then I asked her if there could be a hold up with the stock ,beings it is left handed ,and she said that there will be no problem there. Also she let me know it will have the target trigger! She said it will ship, if everything goes good, in two to three weeks. I'm not counting my chickens but I think that is an excellent build time. 11 weeks total.
    I have the scope ( Vortex Razor 5-20x50), the rings(Seekins) and the bipod (Atlas) in hand ready to go.
    Thanks to all on this forum that reassured me that this gun will be a shooter. Dan

rattfink
    That's good to hear Dan! I just hit the 8 week mark waiting and I was quoted 8-10 weeks so I am really anxious as well.

Basic Member
    This is like waiting for your first born. You know its coming, just don't no exactly when!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    I have and to answer your specific question the answer is NO. It was 6 weeks late but in all fairness to Savage the action,barrel combo was ready to go a week early, problem was there was an issue with the stocks from the vendor and Savage would not use them as shipped, so they held it up until the problem was corrected.That really didn't matter to me because I had a Russo stock on order that ended up 3 months or more late coming.
    If you are interested it was a mod. 110 LE 7rem mag with a 20" bull barrel.
    Well I see a trend here. Called savage last month and they said the action would be finished that week. I asked if there would be a holdup on the stock? Oh no we have the stock! Four weeks later I call. Rifle is built but we are waiting on stock. Should be here this week. I called them today, week 14. Sorry the stock didn't come in. Really! I can see this going sideways real fast! I was nice and 14 weeks is a good build time. I guess to good of a build time! When this drags out to 4 or 5 months I'll wish I'd ordered a real custom. I know, I know, just whining but I didn't do so good at the last shoot and just want to b#&*h a little. Okay, now I better.

JCalhoun
    You are more patient than most of us.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    You are more patient than most of us.
    Well I got to thinking and it accrued to me that I did not really get a ETA from Savage. So I called back Friday and talked to Effie. She is really dedicated to Savage costumers, I believe, and she assured me that she was as upset as I was. She said she would physically check and see what they had in stock and would call me back. About 15 minutes later she calls back and tells me she can put a different stock on the rifle (another HS) and send it. When they get the one from HS (that I should have gotten) she said they will send that one to me. The one that is now on back order might take a while. She said that I was not the only one that was waiting on a stock from HSP. Anyway I think Savage does go out their way to please their customers. The funny thing is Effie knows me when I call. Dan

rattfink
    Sorry to hear you had so long to wait Dan. Effie really is a cool lady to deal with, and really knows her business.
    Savage quoted me 8-10 weeks for my rifle. I just got it last week which makes it about 12 weeks but I really have no complaints. I guess my turnaround time was shorter than yours b/c my action would be an off the shelf item, and everything else I ordered is produced internally by Savage.

Overall, the value I got and the experience with Savage's custom order has been great.

As happy as I am to have my rifle, the scope base is on back order (I was informed after I ordered it!) so it, my scope and rings are just waiting....waiting....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast