Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buyers remorse ? Model 10 fcp-sr for tactical precision ?

Basic Member

With the 6BR I see nodes in my ladder about every 1.4-1.6 gr of powder. You have two sets at the upper end with little vertical. I would want to give up that much velocity. I typically try to do a ladder with 0.2 gr increments with a 6BR case capacity and 0.3 gr increment with the 260/308 size case. With 0.5 gr steps I would be afraid I was jumping over a node. Just my 2 cents. Tim

Basic Member
    Tim, thanks for the info. That is what I'm looking for, someone with ability to look at a ladder test and give their thoughts.
    When we do load development it is not uncommon to find 2 nodes. I questioned those but I don't have enough experience in reading this. I have no idea what velocities I'd get at 41 grains +/-. I just don't want to chase the speed thing. I just started with 1/2 grain to get started and then look at the best set of shots and do test in .3 grains like you suggested. Once again there were no signs of over pressure even at 44.0. I'm running the COAL at 2.932 as I load and when I chamber the round and the remove it it measures 2.927. So they are jamb.
    Anyone want to give their thoughts, I'd be very grateful . Thanks. Dan

Basic Member
    Well just finished up the magazines. They fit right. No play, no binding and no rattle. I can run the bolt just fine know. If anyone needs info on this for their FCP-SR with the Accurate-Mag bottom metal and Accurate-Mag magazines P.M. me.

Basic Member
    Okay Tim I'm taking your advice and I'm under the gun. I need a load worked up by firday so I loaded up a ladder starting with 42.5 going to 44.3 in .3 increments. I have 5 rounds loaded at each step. I'll shoot 2 of each for the test. If I find what I'm looking for then I'll use the last 3 in that range to get my zero and velocity.

Basic Member
    I would shoot the ladders side by side. Shoot one. Allow the barrel to cool to original temp and shot the second. I run mine through Chrony when I shoot a ladder. I think, my logic here, it learn more. I can see charges windows with some powders that have little change in velocity over a several tenths of powder. I also can see the barrel harmonics. Find a flat spot in velocity tht also is on a vibration node, no/little in vertical with 3 shots, and I then only adjust seating depth and neck tension. Then I choose another bullet or powder and start allow over again. You have to be absolutely certain that the vertical is due to the charge variation and not user error. Other it is all worthless.

Here is a little comparison of powders I play with a few years back.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...78#msg30936678

I would suggest you find a copy of Rifle Accuracy Facts by Harold Vaughn. Good read. Very technical, but explains the physics behind what matters the ladder test useful.

Luck, Tim

Basic Member
    I'll be doing this today. It's down to crunch time as I'll be leaving for a two day shoot this Friday. Gives me one day to load 200 rounds. Really 400 because I don't know which stick I'm going to use. The 260 or the 260 improved 30. Thanks Tim.
    Dan

Basic Member
    This will be the last post for me on this thread as I have shot this rifle now on a COF that has allowed me to evaluate the capabilities of this rifle in a full blown competition. That being said ,my personal opinion is the rifle is fully capable to hold its own in these matches. There was and still is issues with the magazines and I was able to talk to several shooters any they agreed that the problem should and can be fixed. After the match this coming weekend I'll probably be sending it to a smith to have it fixed. He looked at the problem and said he would fix it. I would have given it to him then but I need it this weekend.

As for my part in this? Well lets just say I wish I was half as good as the rifle. Things started out pretty good except for the weather which was tough to say the least. Saturday's temps were 4 degrees in the morning and I don't think it got above 20 all day. I shot really well, for me anyway, till the last two stages in which I dropped the rifle on a rock. It took 4 more stages for me to get it zeroed. The next day temps were 7 in the a.m. and maybe a little above 20 by the end of the shoot. One stage I was pleased with was to engage two targets. One at 540 yards and another at 1020 yards alternating targets with each shot for 10 rounds in 2 minutes or less. I made 6 hits. 4 on the 540 and 2 on the 1020. I dialed the 540 and held the 1020. This was also a good test for the rifle and the scope which proved the loads and the tracking of the scope. All and all I very pleased with the rifle. Should I have gone a different route? I don't really know, but I do know I'm pleased with how it turned out! Dan

Hey Chuck, I know you said this was your last post and this thread is two months old, however... Just want to pass along some mag info as you seem to be wrestling with those. I bought two 5 round steel Accuracy International AICS mags as I just got an FCP-SR in .308 to shoot in tac matches instead of a Fulton-Armory semi auto rifle (Titan). These AICS mags fit so clean and snug they don't rattle, they don't move when I rest on them or inhibit my bolt movement either. Totally worth the money.

Basic Member
    You know Badger I just read a writeup on the FCP-SR that Savage has on their face book page that mentioned using AICS magazines. It didn't go into detail other than they said they fit a little tighter. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to give one of them a try. Along that line I did get the accurate-mag magazines to function the way I want but it took some doing. This has proved to be a very positive improvement for use in tactical matches. Once again thanks for the info. By the way how's the new stick ! Would love to hear. Always shoot straight. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    You know Badger I just read a writeup on the FCP-SR that Savage has on their face book page that mentioned using AICS magazines. It didn't go into detail other than they said they fit a little tighter. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to give one of them a try. Along that line I did get the accurate-mag magazines to function the way I want but it took some doing. This has proved to be a very positive improvement for use in tactical matches. Once again thanks for the info. By the way how's the new stick ! Would love to hear. Always shoot straight. Dan
    Hey Chuk, I finally got some longer range time. I went out and zeroed it at 100, it was 2 mil left, 1 mil low, took 5 shots to get a bullseye, then the first group of 5 was 1" without even trying, felt like a laser. Then I went to the 200 are of our range (Ancient City) and grouped 5 at 1.5", went home.

Today in St. Augustine, beautiful, sunny, 3-5mph breeze, 65 degrees, went to Bradford an hour away to shoot at distance. All my sight-in, zero shots chrono'd at about 2640 (all my own .308 reloads with 43 gr Accurate 2520, CCI 200 Primers, Lapua brass, 175 gr Nosler CC's, COL 2.810" ) , so I used Sierra Infinity on my Win8 phone to get my dope. It was right on- dialed in 8.3 mil for 850 yards, shot at full size IPSC steel, hit near center. Dialed back to 3.4 for 500 1/2 size IPSC steel, hit near center. Dialed to 4.5 mil for shot at 600 yards on 10" steel circle, hit near center. Dialed up to 7.4 mil for a shot at my buddy's 3/4 IPSC steel at 800, hit near center. I was stoked. Wasted another 45 rounds just pinging different steel. L/R headwind about 280deg of about 10mph came and went, had some misses, dialed in .2 mil windage put me back in business. My buddy was shooting .50BMG and 300 Ultra Mag so I split, was giving me a headache! Couple weeks we're driving 3 hours South to shoot at 1000, hope we have good weather.

Overall I was extremely pleased with the rifle and the Vortex PST 4-16 Milrad/zerostop scope. (Vortex matched rings). Only issue was that I need an adjustable cheek rest, I need it higher, thinking of putting a Karsten on it. They're both better equipment than I am a shooter. I mainly do USPSA pistol, FDCC 2-gun and occasional USPSA or outlaw 3-gun.
    Later!

Last edited by Badger; 03-11-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added C.O.L.

Basic Member
    I have the 10 fcp sr in 308 and once u figure out which load it likes its a shooter. It does not like hunting loads at all.

Quote Originally Posted by savageshooter617 View Post
    I have the 10 fcp sr in 308 and once u figure out which load it likes its a shooter. It does not like hunting loads at all.
    I agree! My 175 grain reloads made me happy at 1000 yards this weekend down at Manatee Club in Myakka. Fired 5, couldn't quite see my hits, didn't hear them (too much shooting going on). Waited for cold line, went down to target... 3 of 5 hits on my IPSC target. In my opinion, pretty good results from a production gun and inexpensive scope.

Basic Member
    I shot 178gr amax an it liked them. U know still tinkering to get better.

Basic Member
    Very good shooting Badger! I shot in a match earlier this month. One of the stages had two targets to engage. One at 1002 yds. and one at 1315 yds. Had to engage each target 5 times alternating each shot in 2 1/2 minutes. I hit the close one 4 out of 4 but the long one eluded me. These guns can shoot! I too could not see or hear the impacts.

Basic Member
    Hey,guys who's figured out how to get the darn magazine rattle out? I taking the accustock off mine pretty soon and hope that stinking rattle goes away.

Basic Member
    Mine doesn't rattle any more. I reworked the latch point on the magazine and feed lips so that I could have pressure on the magazine and still have it cycle. In the process the rattle went away. Basically I think the bottom metal needs to be shimmed a little so that the mags just engage the latch while firmly touching the action. then the feed lips need to be reworked because they now come in contact with the bolt and won't cycle. I have seen where someone put electrical tape around the upper part of the mag and it seemed to work. The rattle really never bothered me but I only use mine for tactical matches. I don't think a new stock will help. I think its a bottom metal, mag, and action thing.

Thanks Chuk... toward the end of the 2nd day I was there, the wind completely stopped at 4:30 in the afternoon, I literally had zero windage clicks in it, I had 5 hits in a row on that target, it was so fun.
    1315 yards is a long way for a .308 - I bet it went subsonic and was all over the place.

Very good shooting Badger! I shot in a match earlier this month. One of the stages had two targets to engage. One at 1002 yds. and one at 1315 yds. Had to engage each target 5 times alternating each shot in 2 1/2 minutes. I hit the close one 4 out of 4 but the long one eluded me. These guns can shoot! I too could not see or hear the impacts.
    Last edited by Badger; 03-26-2014 at 02:24 PM.

I use the 5 round Accuracy International AICS magazines (see one sitting on the bench below my rifle) and they are very tight, do not rattle at all. Pricey but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by savageshooter617 View Post
    Hey,guys who's figured out how to get the darn magazine rattle out? I taking the accustock off mine pretty soon and hope that stinking rattle goes away.

Basic Member
    Thanks badger might just have to try them

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Thanks Chuk... toward the end of the 2nd day I was there, the wind completely stopped at 4:30 in the afternoon, I literally had zero windage clicks in it, I had 5 hits in a row on that target, it was so fun.
    1315 yards is a long way for a .308 - I bet it went subsonic and was all over the place.
    That is really fun to make hit at a grand, isn't it. Glad you had a fun day.
    My FCP-SR is chambered in a 260 from the factory. It has no problem getting there. The shooter is the only thing holding it back. LOL

Nice! I love the 6.5 mm bullets, such good BC. I shot my buddies 300 RUM and it kicked harder than the .50BMG that was not fun for me!

That is really fun to make hit at a grand, isn't it. Glad you had a fun day.
    My FCP-SR is chambered in a 260 from the factory. It has no problem getting there. The shooter is the only thing holding it back. LOL

Basic Member
    JUST AN UPDATE
    I wasn't going to post on this thread anymore but with the number of views its received I thought I'd give a little update. Through the coarse of this thread I was told to keep track of the round count to see how the accuracy would hold out. Well I don't really know the exact round count but it is around 800 +/-. Anyway I did not clean it other than to remove the carbon and that was with hoppe's No.9 usually after 100 rounds or so. About two matches ago I seemed to not be shooting as good. I just chalked it up to age and figured it was the best I could do. Then the other day I decided to strip the copper and completely clean the barrel. I then took it out to see how it shot. The first shot was about 1.5" high at a hundred yards. I didn't ever adjust the zero and continued to shoot. About the 7 round the shots were starting to show some promise. By the 10 round or so I was getting excellent groups. I put another 10 rounds through the rifle using two different bullets (140 vld's and 123 senars) and three different powder charges and the changes in impact were so small I never changed the zero. So what I've learned is I think the barrel is good for around 400 rounds and then needs to be really cleaned. Not bad for a factory barrel running stages that require 10 rounds as fast as the shooter can shoot. Another thing that I would like to add is in the last 6 matches the rifle has not had a single FTF or FTE.

Basic Member
    Your observation is right in line with what the best shooters I know do - clean like you did, then get it totally clean every 500 rounds. The friend who taught me to lap barrels does a diamond lapping about every 500 rounds. David Tubb recommends his throat maintenance system with a few rounds every 100 or so. Same sort of thing as what you are doing.
    Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234