Thread: New Savage Build - 260 Rem

Basic Member

New Savage Build - 260 Rem

Bought a Savage 10 short action (4.4 spacing) last June with intent of selling the parts and doing a build. Over the last couple of years, my buddy has helped me build a 223 (my trainer), a 308 (sold to fund this build) and my current build - 260 Rem. He helped me put the barreled action together. I have been buying parts for this build as I could afford to do so.

In January, I got some funds to complete this build.

Ordered an XLR Chassis from Kyle @ XLR Industries. The XLR Chassis has a strong following and for good reason. The fit and finish of the chassis is amazing. My action dropped in and no additional fitting was required. Quoted 8 weeks and received the Chassis at 5. Kyle has awesome customer service and will definitely get my business when I get another chassis for my 223 trainer.

Ordered a Criterion barrel from Jim @ Northland Shooters Supply. Criterion Barrel (Kriger subsidiary) is the go to for Savage pre-fits. Hand lapped and most say as good as other custom barrel manufacturers. Jim stocks common cartridges and barrel profiles. The 26" Varmint profile in 260 Rem Match (longer freebore for the 140 class bullets) was in stock and shipped that week.

Chad @ Titan Weapons did the muzzle brake install and cerakoting. He had done the cerakoting on my 223 trainer and was pleased with the work. He kept me in the loop with pictures at various stages of the muzzle brake install and cerakoting. Turn around time was 2 weeks mostly due to his backlog. He does quality work and will get my next build (talked at length about the 338 Edge). I chose Corvette Yellow as I have one year old twins and I won't be competing any time soon and I wanted something different.

I found a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP MIL/MIL on another board for less than a used SFP. The glass is amazing and am very happy with the purchase. Had a small nick on the elevation turret and a little sharpie magic fixed that issue right up.

I have ladders loaded for the Hornady 140 Amax and the Sierra 142 MatchKing. Looking forward to some range time

Specs:
    Savage 10 SA (4.4 spacing) - AccuTrigger
    - PTG fluted body (cerakoted in Graphite Black) and PTG milled 308 bolt head
    - Bolt handle done by Phoenix Custom Rifles

Criterion Barrel 26" 260 Rem Match (longer freebore) Varmint Profile 1/8 twist
    - JP Enterprise Bennie Cooley Muzzle Brake installed by Titan Weapons in Benbrook, TX)
    - Barreled action Cerakoted in Graphite Black

XLR Chassis - Corvette Yellow (cerakoting done by Titan Weapons)

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MIL/MIL
    Vortex rings (Seekins)

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics - it is raining outside and camera batteries are dead

Now that is pretty cool! Great job on that build.

stangfish
    Really like the colors. I would have never thunk it but it looks good on a corvette...and it looks good on a savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Really like the colors. I would have never thunk it but it looks good on a corvette...and it looks good on a savage.
    I was originally going to go with burnt bronze, but decided (rather hastily) that I wanted something different. I definitely like it. The rifle's nickname is the Yellow Dragon (have a fascination with dragons, my iPad is named the Dragon Lair and my iPhone is the Black Dragon and my desktop is also the Black Dragon).

Basic Member
    do you reload in the dragons den ? looks good never would have thougt yellow would

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWW123 View Post
    do you reload in the dragons den ? looks good never would have thougt yellow would
    It looks like a dragon's den...dark and foreboding.

great build!.........hows the accuracy/consistancy?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    great build!.........hows the accuracy/consistancy?
    I'm taking it to the range to zero the scope. I've got ladders built, but don't know that I'll have the time to go through them. I expect it to be a shooter. The 260 Rem is an awesome cartridge with great long distance (1200 yard) capabilities.

Basic Member
    2 Thumbs Up on your color choices!!!!! I bet she shoots!

I ran some ladder test on one of my builds today. Ive been waiting on these winds here in S/W texas to calm down. they finally did and my results were what i was hoping for.
    Hopefully you,ll recieve the same out of your new build.
    I gave A-Maxer,s a try but in my case, I always ended up going the SMK route, your results may be different. hopefully you.ll be able to find your new rigs sweet spot quick enuff to start your ballistics.....boy-oh-boy, how I love test driving new rigs!......good luck!

Basic Member
    I also enjoy load development. The "hunt" for that perfect load. I am loading to mag length so that takes that out of the picture and specific components. Two bullet choices. They have to work (and likely will given others success) since I have so many of them.

Got enough components to burn out the barrel so I have a lot of fun ahead of me.

Im good on components. At least a good 2 yr supply shooting conservatively. This uneeded crisis has actually caused me to save money. But Ive got a shooting buddy up in Ph AZ. picking up components for me at there once a month guns shows.
    I have that same muzzle brk on mine and Ive gotten pretty dam foud of it. I shot my buddies 308 remy last week and it didnt have a break...couple of shots into it and I put it down. All my rigs have m/brks. I never shot at a range but up in the southwestern texas mountains where there isnt anybody to complain on the muzzle blast.

EAW
    Smoke'n build there chief!

You probably have Dewalt tools too, don't you?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Had hoped to take it to the range today, but not going to happen. I've got a half day hall pass on Friday so it'll be at the range for several hours. I'll be taking 40 rounds loaded @ 42.5 H4350 just to zero the rifle and plinking after I do load development. I've got my ladders loaded for the 142 SMK and 140 Amax. After that, I'll load up a few hundred of the Amax to keep me shooting for a couple of weeks.

Frank V
    capreppy

The .260 Rem is an interesting ctg.
    I'll be interested in your range report.
    Thanks.

Slap some Dewalt stickers on that thing it looks like a power tool!

Nice rifle.

Basic Member
    I've seen a few of the DeWalt postings on other boards. The rifle's nickname is the Yellow Dragon and hope that she'll live up to that name.

big_bullseye
    Did you play dungeons and dragons with all the nerdy kids growing up....? Or wait, do you still play D&D?

Nice looking gun. I like that chassis on a precision rifle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_bullseye View Post
    Did you play dungeons and dragons with all the nerdy kids growing up....? Or wait, do you still play D&D?

Nice looking gun. I like that chassis on a precision rifle.
    Did play a lot of D&D as a kid and play the adult version of that now on the PC :)