Thread: Cleaning the .17 Hornet M25

Orange_Crush

Cleaning the .17 Hornet M25

Just looking for any tips and advise on cleaning the little .17. I find it to be the hardest most frustrating rifle to clean.

My frustration starts with the cleaning rod. I have been through or destroyed two so far.

JLShipley
    I have a J Dewey and a Tetra Gun (by Prosmith) both 36" works great, working on a Bore Guide, one's coming, but won't know if it well work till I get my gun back from Savage......Used a modified .17 Remington, just used the front tip for the .17 and started my patch through the rear opening of the aluminum tube......It gets the patch and brush started.
    Jim

JLShipley
    I've found a Bore Guide that will work with the M25 .17...
    Pro-Shot Products Bore Guide Bolt Action FITS MARLIN .17 HMR...... ( All White, Not aluminum) Had them on Amazon.....Midway too.
    Sure has made it a lot easier.....works much better than the modified one I was using, this one fit snug in the bolt chamber, and against the Barrel Bore and the cleaning rod slips right in.
    Jim S

davemuzz
    I've been using a Tipton one piece and find that cutting the patches small is the only way to do a good clean up job of getting the gunk out of the bore. The .17 brass brushes are not bad to get down the bore's with bore solvent...but a dry patch can be a bear.

JLShipley

Patches

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    I've been using a Tipton one piece and find that cutting the patches small is the only way to do a good clean up job of getting the gunk out of the bore. The .17 brass brushes are not bad to get down the bore's with bore solvent...but a dry patch can be a bear.
    I've been using Pro shot .17 Patches about 1" square , little cleaning/lube oil, first two patches, then dry one', when finished, end with a .17 mop. Brush, I've used a brush about 3 times, about ever 75 rounds.
    How's your reloads going? What powders have you tried? I've used,H110,H4198,H355,Li/Gun
    Jim
    Last edited by JLShipley; 05-18-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Orange_Crush
    AA2200, IMR4831, still haven't found the combination that the rifle likes.

davemuzz
    I'm loading with H-335. This is what I loaded my .17 Fireball with and I liked the success I had with it. If you look at the picture below the target on the right is a 100 yard group from my .17 Fireball. The flyer was my fault, but the group itself was either a 9 or ten shot group. The target on the left is my new .17 Hornet, and this was dialing in the Millett 1-4X scope at 100 yards. As you can see once I got it dialed in the group was nice. It was still a bit left, but I ran out of my Berger reloads. BTW, the load was 12gr. of H-355 for the Hornet and a 25gr. Berger bullet. Now that I have the hornet dialed in I plan on de-wrenching the Fireball and selling the barrel, brass and dies as a package. It's a great shooter, but the Model 25 is just a bit easier to carry around.

Orange_Crush
    For sure the powders I have been using are 100% based on what I can find in a post O*#^* world.

powder

My rifle likes AA1680 with 20 grain v-max