Hello all,

I&#39;ve been shooting, tearing apart and screwing back together various Savage actions and barrels and such for the last few years, like a lot of folks here. Like others, I&#39;ve had my run-ins with factory barrels that took a liberal soaking in <penetrating fluid of choice - I use Kroil> and either a healthy swipe from a LARGE dead blow (had to buy a bigger one) or a cheater pipe over the barrel nut wrench Subsequently... most of my barrels nuts get tightened down til they stop, then a little more push and thats it. I have at times had them come loose - not during firing, but when I had the barrel clamped in wood vise blocks and was trying to rotate the whole barrel/action assembly to level the scope rail; little more grab than I counted on and the action came loose. Turned it back and a couple taps with a flat blade screwdriver and it was all good Most of them have shot pretty well like that.

Then more recently I&#39;ve seen a few &#39;Benchrest&#39; types solemnly state that they believe *at least* 100ft-lbs torque makes the guns shoot better, and how they hoped all their opponents only put their barrels on &#39;hand tight&#39;.

Made me start wondering if mebbe I was leaving some cards on the table.

Whaddya think?

Monte