Thread: Post links & answer Q's

Steven_Idk

Post links & answer Q's

New to the forum
    Lets start out by saying my eyes are fried from searching and surfing. I've been a Ruger guy but recently purchased my first Savage ( mod 10 fcp, 300 wsm ). I have a couple questions about savage's and mods.
    Lightening the lift and cycling - 38 brass, bearing... but also saw a post with something about firing pin and spring..?
    Does someone make a higher cap mag (my case 1+2...2?!?) for the choate stock and whatever dbm is stock?
    What should I be aware of and spend special attention too?
    Any good smiths ( ie. thinking of getting barrel threaded 5/8x24 for brake)?

Give me some advise, post some links that I might not be able to find, teach me about savage... please

thomae
    Welcome to the forum.
    The first thing I would suggest would be to read the Savage FAQs (Click the link with the same name at the top of the page just under the banner with our logo on it)
    I would go into the "Settings" tab and under "General Settings" make sure that the Default Age Cutoff option is set to "Show All Threads." That way when you search, you can find older posts that may, though old, still contain information useful to you.

Read a lot. Lurk, ask specific questions and you will get lots of specific answers and opinions.

Lightening the bolt lift is something everyone is interested in. So far, as far as my experience (I don't pretend to be the subject matter expert here, just one of many users) goes, there are a few home brewed ideas out there that help some, mostly they involve the 38 special brass base with ball bearing (or similar) to reduce the twisting torque, and lots of polishing of all moving contact surfaces. The only thing that I have heard that really seems to work well is the timing and truing service offered by Sharpshooter Supply member "Sharpshooter" on this forum. There are several reasons discussed for the bolt lift issue, and they seem to have to do with the design and execution of the rifle itself.

Several posters have had good luck with CDI bottom metal and AICS magazines. I believe others have posted that CDI will inlet other stocks for $50.00. I'll let others who have used that service comment on it.

Welcome to the addiction!

Steven_Idk
    Thanks for the info
    Concerning the BDM, I was really looking for someone making mags that fit the stock BDM in these rifles. Seems like you could take the mag and lengthen it, add a new spring, assemble and good to go.