Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laminate Stock Build

bobfortier

Glad I could inspire. I do my mag catch very similar to both option shown in the previous pics

Basic Member
    As promised here are some more pics. The rifle blank was roughly 2.5" wide. The grip area needed to be thinned down some. I wanted to do that evenly so I set up a little jig to do so. I would do one side of the stock at one cut depth then flip it over and run the other side.

Jig set up, I know it looks bad but I needed something quick and easy and didn't feel like making a permanent jig.

Finished product

Basic Member
    Today I had about an hour or so to work on the stock and decided it was time to start the shaping on the butt stock.

I do most of the shaping with a 4.5" grinder and sanding discs. Let me tell you that it is a good way to ruin a project.

What I started out with.

Slowly start removing material.

What it ended up like so far before I ran out of daylight. As you can see from the pics I do this outside to try and keep some of the dust down.

Other side.

I know that it looks very rough and that is because it is. By tomorrow hopefully I will have it ready for final sanding. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Basic Member
    coming along very nicely!

rattfink
    That's good looking work. What are you using to remove most of the material?

Quote Originally Posted by rattfink View Post
    That's good looking work. What are you using to remove most of the material?
    You must have missed the first picture in his last post or that he specifically said 4.5" angle grinder with sanding discs.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Looking good!!! FYI I have found that if you use the 4.5" or 4" flap disks 60 or 80 grit it will not gouge as much and leaves a pretty smooth finish

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    You must have missed the first picture in his last post or that he specifically said 4.5" angle grinder with sanding discs.

Sure did. Even read it 3x.

bobfortier
    Very nice looking stock. For the inside of the thumbhole, try a dremel with the small sanding drum, worked well for me.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the comments fellas. So far I am pretty happy with how it's turning out hopefully I do not mess it up now. I may have to pick up some flap disks later today and see how those work.

Bob for the Thumbhole I am using a sanding drum on the end of a drill. Just forgot to comment on that.
    Last edited by Got Diesel; 04-21-2013 at 09:09 AM.

palerider338
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Diesel View Post
    Thanks for the comments fellas. So far I am pretty happy with how it's turning out hopefully I do not mess it up now. I may have to pick up some flap disks later today and see how those work.

Bob for the Thumbhole I am using a sanding drum on the end of a drill. Just forgot to comment on that.
    Rotary rasp on the drill takes it down faster...then follow up with the sanding drum.....made short work of it when I reworked the TH on my Boyd's.

Basic Member
    Rough shape of the butt stock is finished.

Overall I am happy with how it turned out.

Now it's time to get back to work.
    I still need to finish the forend, I will do that the same way that I have on my previous stock builds. Then I have to install my blocks that will hold the magazine. Then it's time to bed, final sand and finish.

bobfortier
    Wow, this is very nice. Congrats !

Can't wait to see the rest of it.

Basic Member

Finishing touches left to go

Alright fellas made quite a bit of progress today.

Here is how the final shape will be on the stock. I have to final sand and finish but other than that it is done.

Forend

Grip

Other side

Forend

Grip, sorry the phone case swung in the way

I was also able to get the trigger guard made. This is another reason why I love my radial arm saw.

Final product

Let me know what you think.

65impala
    Nice work, a radial is a great addition to a wood shop for sure. Woodworking is one of my hobbies / side jobs so I know the value of good tools. I also know good work when I see it and this is looking great!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65impala View Post
    Nice work, a radial is a great addition to a wood shop for sure. Woodworking is one of my hobbies / side jobs so I know the value of good tools. I also know good work when I see it and this is looking great!!
    Thank you. Pretty happy with how this is turning out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfortier View Post
    Wow, this is very nice. Congrats !

Can't wait to see the rest of it.
    Thanks Bob, definitely a compliment as I have seen your work.

Basic Member
    I must say I'm really impressed with your work, but I think a stock that looks that good would warrant a trigger guard that doesn't look that cheesy. You owe it to yourself to spring for a factory trigger guard.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I must say I'm really impressed with your work, but I think a stock that looks that good would warrant a trigger guard that doesn't look that cheesy. You owe it to yourself to spring for a factory trigger guard.
    Thanks Fred appreciate that. Taking your advice I went ahead and asked the buddy who this is for to see if he wanted a black steel trigger guard or a stainless one.

Basic Member

More pics and some of the backstory

To fill you all in on the back story a little, a buddy of mine asked me to put together this rifle for him. He is planning on giving it to his longtime girlfriend this May. She is about 5' tall and is a small frame. That being said we needed to make the length of pull short which can be seen in the photos, it's about the length of a youth stock.

The rifle itself is a Savage Axis SR in 308 Winchester. Last year she was shooting his 30/06 and doing ok but it took a toll on her. That is why he decided to go with the SR version of that rifle. He asked me to find a good brake and the right price and I did just that. I emailed Ross Schuler on Friday night told him what I needed. I told him what I needed and he told me what measurements he needed. I was able to get that for him on Saturday morning, well this afternoon the brake was in the mailbox. I did a little sanding to get the brake to line up right, there is about a 1:14 chance of it coming perfect from him. The fit into the barrel is however perfect.

My buddy also asked me to round off the forend a little bit, hopefully this is what he was wanting

I also needed to start the butt pad, I know what I am gonna use as a pad but needed the backer plate. I decided to use part of the stock, I wanted to test out a finish to see how it was going to look when finished.

Butt stock traced onto this piece and then cut out with bandsaw. I ripped it down to 1/2 inch length on the radial arm saw.

Finish applied

65impala
    Looking good still, I like how you used the SR as an easy method to put a brake on it.

Basic Member
    Was able to start applying the clear coat finish today. Here is a quick pic just to kinda see what it's gonna look like.

I plan on looking it over really well after the next coat and see if there are any spots that need more sanding. Overall I am thinking it will take about 12-15 coats of clear. Hopefully it turns out and looks good when its done.

I also got the factory trigger guard yesterday and got that fitted this morning.

Talked to my buddy today and he decided that he wanted to put a Rifle Basix trigger on it so I also have that ordered. Should be a nice little rifle when it's all said and done.

Let me know what you think?

Lookin good, What are you using for clear?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nd-hunter View Post
    Lookin good, What are you using for clear?
    Automotive clear in a spray can. Got it from O'riellys

Basic Member
    I have finished applying the finish and will get some pics up tonight. I think it turned out really well. I ended up with 12 coats of clear total.

I have another evening or two of working on it and it should be good to go.

Will get pics up later today. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast